• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Unveils Xe DG1-SDV Graphics Card, Demonstrates Intent to Seriously Compete in the Gaming Space

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At a media event on Wednesday, Intel invited us to check out their first working modern discrete graphics card, the Xe DG1 Software Development Vehicle (developer-edition). Leading the event was our host Ari Rauch, Intel Vice President and General Manager for Graphics Technology Engineering and dGPU Business. Much like gruff developer-editions of game consoles released to developers several quarters ahead of market launch, the DG1-SDV allows software developers to discover and learn the Xe graphics architecture, and develop optimization processes for their current and future software within their organizations. We walked into the event expecting to see a big ugly PCB with a bare fan-heatsink and a contraption that sort-of looks like a graphics card; but were pleasantly surprised with what we saw: a rather professional product design.

What we didn't get at the event, through, was a juicy technical breakdown of the Xe graphics architecture, and its various components that add up to the GPU. We still left pleasantly surprised for what we were shown: it works! The DG1-SDV is able to play games at 1080p, even if they are technically lightweight titles like "Warframe," and aren't maxing out settings. The SDV is a 15.2 cm-long graphics card that relies on the PCI-Express slot for power entirely (and hence pulling less than 75 W).

We already know from Intel's Xe slides since 2019 that the Xe architecture is designed to be extremely scalable, with a single ISA scaling all the way from iGPUs to tiny discrete GPUs like the DG1-SDV, and scaling all the way up to double-digit TFLOP-scale compute processors for the HPCs. Along the way, though, Intel intends to compete in the gaming and client-graphics space by developing products at just the right scale of the Xe architecture, with just the right performance/Watt to compete with specific products from the NVIDIA-AMD duopoly. Forget the high-end for a moment. If Intel is able to match even the GTX 1650 and RX 5500 (or their future $150 successors) in performance and power, they end up tapping into a double-digit percentage of the client-graphics TAM, and that spells trouble for Santa Clara and Markham.

The Xe DG1 is backed by Intel's robust software stack, which has seen breakneck development and feature-additions in recent times, such as a modern Control Center app, support for modern technologies such as variable-rate shading, integer scaling, etc. Intel has, for over a decade, established a foothold in the client media-acceleration space with its Quick Sync video encoders, and Xe only dials that a notch. The DG1 features Intel's entire media-acceleration and display-controller feature-set. Intel is also designing Xe to be extremely configurable by OEMs, to make the GPU finely-match their product's thermal and power targets. Responding to a specific question by us, Intel didn't rule out the possibility of discrete Xe graphics cards working in tandem with Intel iGPUs (possibly starting with "Tiger Lake").

Xe DG1-SDV in action (video)
Here are a couple of brief videos we took of the DG1-SDV alive and kicking.

Here's the card itself:

And here's the money-shot of Intel's presentation, a "Warframe" gaming session. There were no performance numbers put out, but the game is being rendered at 1080p, and appears playable.

Xe DG1-SDV Physical Design
The Xe DG1-SDV (software development vehicle) is a contraption that's more evolved than "working prototype," and stops short of being a production product. It is designed to to be stable and durable enough for its target audience: ISVs, individual software developers, and systems engineers evaluating the thing for major hardware OEMs. The card has the exact same physical dimensions as the Radeon R9 Nano, and fits into any machine that has two full-height expansion slots and a PCI-Express x16 interface, no additional power cables needed. A single fan cools an aluminium fin-stack heatsink underneath. Throughout the demo, the cooler was more than audible and in need of acoustic optimization. The cooler shroud and back-plate bear a futuristic silvery design, there's also a row of LEDs near the I/O shield that put out light into the grooves of the shroud.

"Tiger Lake" gate-crashes the party
Intel is still trying to break its habit from being a CPU maker foremost. The "Tiger Lake" CPU microarchitecture is a significant inflection point of Intel's next-gen "Willow Cove" CPU core, and the first implementation of Xe as an iGPU solution. Given the volumes of CPUs with iGPUs Intel pushes, Xe is expected to hit critical mass in the client-segment with "Tiger Lake" proving the launchpad. There are some interesting tidbits in the "Tiger Lake" slide:
  • There's a "massive leap" in graphics performance, compared to current Gen11 architecture, thanks to Xe
  • Unless we're badly mistaken, Intel just put out a CPU IPC guidance for "Willow Cove" as being "double digit" (we assume in comparison to current Ice Lake / Sunny Cove)
  • A "massive" AI performance improvement from DLBoost and support for more AVX-512 instructions

Complete Intel Slide-Deck

Offical Intel Board Shots

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Looks like the product line has potential. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up as time goes on since they plan to compete with Nvidia and Radeon.

Ultimately this will not be about discrete desktop GPUs anyway.
If these are similarly efficient to Nvidia's cheap mobile Pascal/Turing (1050, 1650) and are well integrated with Intel's mobile platforms, they'll just conquer most of laptop market on day 1.

I believe splitting tasks between IGP and dGPU has already been confirmed (from Tiger Lake onward). AMD has it as well.

Since AMD also decided to join Nvidia in overcharging their low and midrange GPUs, this looks like a good time to break up this duopoly. AMD fans sure misses Raja Koduri’s breath taking prices.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
This seems like a pretty good showing. 1080p gaming with a single fan card with no power connector is a pretty good accomplishment, as it suggests the architecture has decent efficiency and has room to scale into more powerful applications. It would seem like they might be able to reach mid-range performance, and maybe even challenge AMD for custom design wins. Only problem is, next gen console hardware is already set, and who knows how long before another upgrade will be needed. I think we are reaching diminishing returns unless RT gains traction.

Only problem is, next gen console hardware is already set, and who knows how long before another upgrade will be needed. I think we are reaching diminishing returns unless RT gains traction.
Unless it turns out we open the huuuuge next Xbox and it's just a custom small PC with a replacable MXM GPU (which for me would be a disaster and a blow to console robustness...).

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, mobile GPUs seem like the obvious aim. Seriously, why would any laptop maker go with a 1650 or similar Radeon, when they have a solution from the party that provides the CPU? Especially when it would work with the CPU...

Hoping for the best but waiting for the worst. I hope Intel will be more serious in their GPU attempt this time and they will invest heavily in the drivers department too. I guess their ultimate target will be to win a big chunk of AI market so I am not sure how serious they will be about the gaming abilities of their GPUs. We need another competitor in the GPU market but Intel pricing history isn't very promising lol.

Since AMD also decided to join Nvidia in overcharging their low and midrange GPUs, this looks like a good time to break up this duopoly. AMD fans sure misses Raja Koduri’s breath taking prices.
The fact that you'd like GPUs to be cheaper doesn't make them overpriced. That's just a price. On a free market. GPU makers can set it however they deem fit.

For a long time we had higher Nvidia's prices and lower AMD's. Nvidia was making money, AMD wasn't.
Now AMD has raised prices to Nvidia's level, which is just a confirmation of who was right all along.

Intel isn't exactly known for selling at break-even. Don't expect them to be the cheapest option. :)

Seriously, PC gaming is a cheap hobby anyway. Don't be such a miser...

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
I suppose it's smart to start small, but I wonder if Intel really does have the ability to scale this up to 5700 XT/2070 level performance. I'm guessing that a release like this shows that Intel is close to putting out a real product, but at the same time it's not going to be until the second half of the year if they're still trying to get developers on board with the architecture. It's probably the case that Intel wants some early prebuilt design wins in the lower end of the gaming market in order to get a foothold, but if the card is just coming out now, products with it will take a while. And we have no idea if this is just a small taste of Xe, or if there's a midrange card already in testing. Perhaps this year all we see is something like a 5500 XT or 1660. That would still be faster than anything Intel has ever made by about 3x.

I suppose it's smart to start small, but I wonder if Intel really does have the ability to scale this up to 5700 XT/2070 level performance.
But do they really need to go for the high-end?

Do we know how GPU sales profile looks by segment?
Guessing by Steam survey, cards up to $300 provide vast majority of sales. Not sure about profits.

This isn't and will never be a major product line for Intel. I doubt they're willing to spend on developing niche high-end cards.
Even AMD, making roughly half of their revenue on GPUs, hasn't always been keen to fight with Nvidia's best.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
in their "ask you anything" someone should ask why do they hide transistor count when nobody else does... it may not be important, but its interesting to know density and all of that.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I bash on Intel pretty good, but this is good for everyone competition wise to keep pricing at decent levels.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Much needed correction:
We walked into the event expecting to see a big ugly PCB with a bare fan-heatsink and a contraption that sort-of looks like a graphics card; but were PEASANTLY surprised with what we saw: a rather professional product design.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Good! More competition the better.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Looks a bit underwhelming... Warframe @1080p Low and no FPS counter? Even the current-gen HD630 can do a fairly playable 45-50FPS at these settings.
This discrete card doesn't look any more powerful than its upcoming mobile counterpart (e.g. Gen12, or Xe-LP or whatever).
Fine for a dev kit, but I don't think it's anything even remotely near a consumer-grade discrete graphics product.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
The fact that you'd like GPUs to be cheaper doesn't make them overpriced. That's just a price. On a free market. GPU makers can set it however they deem fit.

For a long time we had higher Nvidia's prices and lower AMD's. Nvidia was making money, AMD wasn't.
Now AMD has raised prices to Nvidia's level, which is just a confirmation of who was right all along.

Intel isn't exactly known for selling at break-even. Don't expect them to be the cheapest option. :)

Seriously, PC gaming is a cheap hobby anyway. Don't be such a miser...

The fact that you think "overpriced" can be anything but an opinion, and trying to fight that opinion as if its a fact is just...silly to say the least.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So, noisy, 1080 Warhammer performance is above 30FPS, so somewhere around a 1060/580 if it was Ultra settings.

Reviews will be needed before I buy into this.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Only 8 PCIe lanes on the PCB and the complete lack of any details still isn't promising but at least they show actual hardware now instead of just renders.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
So, noisy, 1080 Warhammer performance is above 30FPS, so somewhere around a 1060/580 if it was Ultra settings.

Reviews will be needed before I buy into this.
I’m looking more at the power budget factor. The cards you mention need a supplemental power connection, as does even the 5500XT. The question becomes, can this scale beyond that into a very powerful GPU when given much more than 75W to work with? We’ve not really seen Intel push their GPU architecture into high-power territory. Their consumer line of GPUs has always been a small part of the power budget.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
This is a development vehicle and definitely not a product or a final form on what Xe will be.
They are showing precisely one thing - it exists/works.

Wasn't DG1 rumored/revealed to be a 96EU GPU and <25W TDP?
96EU should be 768 shaders so that would make it more of a iGPU size than usual dGPU as we know it.

Might be preparation for Xe reveal in Tiger Lake that should be the same size?

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
This is a development vehicle and definitely not a product or a final form on what Xe will be.
They are showing precisely one thing - it exists/works.

96EU should be 768 shaders so that would make it more of a iGPU size than usual dGPU as we know it.

Yup, 96 EU sounds right. Core i7-1065G7 is 64 EU which is 512 cores. So this does seem better than Iris Pro Graphics 580.

Does this have double-precision FP64? Or would that be limited to the HP and HPC variants?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Since Tiger Lake is an MCM, I suspect it's just Gen12 iGPU slapped on a board with some vRAM. Performance-wise it kinda lines up with "up to 100% uplift over Gen11" teased by Intel.
Though, compared with older HD620/630 I don't see how can it be twice as fast as IceLake graphics, if it's not even close to "+100%" over 9th gen.

Yup, 96 EU sounds right.
There were also rumors that the first "desktop" DG1 is a 128EU, but so far no confirmation on this.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Even for an early prototype it's just too underwhelming, it's also obvious this is till no where near a real product that will be out there in the hands of people anytime soon.

It seems like Intel has developed this annoying strategy of releasing or announcing stuff that's not up to snuff just to remind people that they "are doing something" just like that crappy 10nm dual core CPU they released 2 years ago and the "glued" 56 core Xeons. Just doing something isn't good enough.

To all the "bring competition to AMD/Nvidia" prophets, buckle up for some serious disappointment. I have a feeling the purpose of this demo is to sort of like bring down the expectations a bit, there have been some wild hopes and dreams put in Intel's discreet GPUs.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64