• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel X299 Platform Called a "VRM Disaster" by Overclocker der8auer

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Wow.

So, I go away for a few days because I'm moving, and when I get online again, OMG!

But this subject isn't worth talking about in this way, so I guess I'll go back outside? Grill's hot and I'm having burgers for breakfast? What about You?

:kookoo:

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Wow.

So, I go away for a few days because I'm moving, and when I get online again, OMG!

But this subject isn't worth talking about in this way, so I guess I'll go back outside? Grill's hot and I'm having burgers for breakfast? What about You?

I love burgers for breakfast, but after watching this documentary (http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/), I'm rethinking my dietary choices. Also, in this forum and all others, I'm trying to just laugh at the delusional, and not feed into all the misplaced anger. My tongue is sore from biting it so much...

Also Apex has two 8-pin connectors.
That appears to be true. And makes a lot of sense, considering it's specifically intended to be used for record-breaking overclocking.

ASUS_Rampage_VI_Apex_800.jpg

What doesn't make as much sense is why he only used one 8-pin connector to test the 7900X @ 5GHz. Which was evidently sufficient. Even so, I can't help but wonder why he would purposely do that. Since it doesn't seem like the best idea.

RVIA 8-pin 2.jpg

EDIT: Never mind. I get why he did it now. Connecting the other 8-pin would just block more air flow over the VRM. DUH! Since the extra power was obviously not required anyway. So...yeah. I guess that does make sense. :oops:

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Wow.

i mean, we had to buy the right (3) motherboards to overclock vishera....nothing different here...just a bit unusual from the intel camp. :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
i mean, we had to buy the right (3) motherboards to overclock vishera....nothing different here...just a bit unusual from the intel camp. :)
Yeah, nothing to see, but this isn't due to Intel...

This is what "enthusiasts" asked for in a HEDT. To the precise points, such as power consumption no care, one board for multiple CPUs right from launch day, cores scaled from 4 - god knows how high...

I kind of covered this in my first X299 review, but it hasn't been published yet. Once again, when pushing limits, board matters I even mentioned something about wanting airflow over the back of the socket.... So maybe you get a bit for what you pay for, eh?

Umm.......

Gigabyte has a zero fan feature, similar to most current GPUs, built into their bios and advertise it as a feature. called Fan Stop.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X299-AORUS-Gaming-9-rev-10#kf

He does mention that a fan solves the problem. If he didn't set a custom fan curve or configure the multiple variations of sensors to actually monitor the VRM for fan control and then hammered the CPU with a high voltage overclock to try and get it to 5GHz, of course the VRMs are going to get hot without airflow.

Not wanting to be cynical, but it does drive many clicks on his youtube channel. Why should all the facts get in the way of a good story?