• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intermittent noise issue with computer

swordhandler

Hello. I have a small home based recording studio. I use a digital/ audio interface and two powered studio reference speakers. My computer is an HP a6752f desktop. Over the last couple of weeks, I started to develop a popping and hissing noise in my speakers. It comes and goes and sometimes causes a complete drop out of audio. I have the same issue when using headphones so I know it is not a speaker problem. I have tried my digital/ audio interface on other computers and it works fine. I am not sure, but I believe that my external interface overrides the integrated onboard audio so I don't think it is my computer's soundcard (or am I wrong?). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dale

What you are describing is often referred to as crackling. It can be introduced through various means, but from what you described, it is best to make sure that you have updated to the latest drivers. If you could also describe a.) your audio specifications, b.) your OS and architecture, and c.) how you listen to music (or does it not matter?), it might help.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I am not sure, but I believe that my external interface overrides the integrated onboard audio so I don't think it is my computer's soundcard (or am I wrong?). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Are you using the Toslink? And your using integrated sound from the motherboard?

What is the external equipment?

You could try a PCI sound card ASUS XONAR make some great ones

Last edited:

swordhandler

Intermittent noise issue

What you are describing is often referred to as crackling. It can be introduced through various means, but from what you described, it is best to make sure that you have updated to the latest drivers. If you could also describe a.) your audio specifications, b.) your OS and architecture, and c.) how you listen to music (or does it not matter?), it might help.

Hello. Thanks for replying. Here is the information you requested:
a.) I am using a Presonus AudioBox 44VSL digital/ audio interface. It is an external device that connects to my computer via USB. It does have software and I have re-installed and updated it. I am also using two m-Audio BX5a powered studio reference speakers.
b.) I am running a Vista 64 bit OS on a HP a6752f Quad Core processor with a HP w2207h HDMI monitor.
c.) To listen to music, I have my external interface set up as the default playback device in Windows. The external device comes on automatically at startup and I use the volume on the interface to adjust the levels in my studio speakers.

Hope this helps. Thank you.

dale

Could you go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then for every "USB Root Hub", right click for "Properties" > Power Management, then uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" -- want to see if this improves the situation.