• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intermittent System-Speaker Beeps?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I'm getting like one short beep every 5 or 10 minutes, from the system speaker (the one which does the POST beep).

It's doing it right now while I'm browsing the net. It's annoying but I hope it isn't a problem warning...

CPU temperatures and GPU temperatures are normal.

I am googling the problem, on some forums they say it could be a faulty mouse or a faulty keyboard. On others they say it's a sign of the 3.3V rail of the PSU failing... :confused:

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Sync it up with a little bit of some little jon and your good to go. Maybe flick the lights with it too. wow... worry about that.

Anyways. have you checked your voltages, all of them? Does it do it when you make any actions on the pc, like, when you click somthing in particular, or just whenever it wants to? How big is your PSU and how old is it? What kind of board is it? Annnnnnnnd, if it just started, have you recently changed anything on your pc?

If its the pc in your specs, try running your cpu at deafault speeds and see what happens. I know you dont want to, but we need to narrrow things down. If it still beeps, crank it back up and we go from there.

Ooooh, also you could try just booting up to a "Floppy", so your in DOS environment, then let it sit for a while and see if its something software causing the problem, or if its hardware related. If its software, then it should not do it in DOS.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I checked PSU voltages with OCCT.

Is it normal for the 12V to be nearly 13V? :wtf:

Two weeks ago I installed a Lachesis mouse...
But the beeping started only today.

My PSU is 11 months old. It's the one in my system specs.

My rig has been running at 3.0Ghz since last... June or July...
It is Prime95 stable for ~12 hours at cpu vcore 1.35

Some months ago I had reduced vcore to 1.325 without checking for stability. I realised yesterday that I had forgotten about it when a game started crashing after 2 hours. So I put vcore back at 1.35 yesterday. I had no beeping yesterday.

Edit:
Oh crap I've been reading that it's bad having the 12V outputting nearly 13V. It should be +/-5% and I'm way out there.

My 3.3V is 3.25V and my 5V is 4.75V.

Yikes hope it's not gonna blow up...

About checking it with a multimeter... so I take up a spare molex... and I stick one probe in the yellow wire outlet and one probe in the hole next to it... correct?

Last edited:
ahhh, its not going to blow up ;) Do you have a spare power supply laying around to try, or maybe a friend has one? Also, what happens if you run your cpu back at stock?

For the meter, sure, or anywhere thats grounded. The PSU should be grounded through the Chassis also.
As for the molex, I would go straight to the source and check the actual 12V thats in your main plug on the MB. Not an extra laying around.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
sounds to me like that PSU has been a bit stretched powering all the components in your rig... I havent heard of the brand before.... I would go for another good branded PSU with a single rail for extra stability and power with good amp output on the 12v rail

sounds to me like that PSU has been a bit stretched powering all the components in your rig... I havent heard of the brand before.... I would go for another good branded PSU with a single rail for extra stability and power with good amp output on the 12v rail

Thats what im thinking. But what im trying to do is see where the voltage is skimping. If its on the CPU or somewhere else thats very finiky, cause he said he changed the cpu voltage yesterday, and the beeping started today. Hopefully he has another spare to try.?!

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
:ohwell: I don't have another PSU to test out. The most 'modern' one I have is a 7 year old 300W... the rest had powered up PII's, PI's, 486 etc.

The PSU I'm using is this one.

The CPU is supposed to be stable at 1.35V as it is now in the bios. But according to OCCT this is the voltage being supplied:

Is this the voltage supplied to the CPU or is it the voltage arriving at the CPU taking into account vdroop?

(To clear this up it had always worked fine at that voltage but some months ago I reduced it, forgot to put it back and only realised when a new game I bought started crashing after a couple of hours at which I put it back at 1.35V which solved the crashing).

My rig has been behaving strangely these past couple of months... I once posted about hearing a loud 'chirp' - I only hear it like once a day so it's not annoying, but it still happens and I wonder what's the cause. It's not from the pc-speaker.
A couple of days ago my IDE storage HDD refused to function saying it was corrupt and unaccessible. Rebooting 'solved' it...
Now this beeping from the pc-speaker...

Seriously I don't know if there is a problem or if I'm being paranoidly anal...

Now if the PSU calls it quitters I wouldn't shed tears - it served me for nearly one year and I doubt it's some awesome quality PSU...
But I would :cry: if it takes the rest of my rig to the grave with it!

So you think that delivering 12.9V instead of 12V means the PSU has a fault... (my husband insists that the PSU is just 'powerful' but lol I'm not very convinced of that!!)
And that the beeping is PSU-related?

Edit: I'll check tomorrow properly with the volt-meter.
According to PcProbe things aren't that bad.
And surprise... the pc system speaker hasn't beeped once since I got online tonight :wtf: or maybe it beeped just as I was having my cigarette out of the room...

Edit again the following day:
No beeps either today. I wonder what had been wrong when I started this thread:confused:

Last edited: