1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Internet ADSL" shortcut keeps reappearing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by oli_ramsay, Apr 19, 2008.

1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I have a very odd problem, I've just re-installed Vista x64 and the shortcut to connect me to my ADSL internet always recreates itself on bootup. I'm sure there must be a registry tweak or something to stop it doing it.

Here's what I've tried:

• Reinstalling ADSL modem drivers
    • Deleting shortcut every time
    • Deleting connection and recreating connection

Also it doesn't remember any of my settings associated with this connection. I have unchecked "Prompt me for name, and password..." and changed redialling options lots of times but when I restart the PC the shortcut has recreated itself and my preferences have been reset to default! :confused:

Any ideas?

2. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Anyone?

3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Im not too sure as I use a ADSL router... so technically I never "dial up"... or install any software... as the router is always dialled up and i just connect through ethernet cable.

getting an ADSL router would solve your issue.
    could be becuase your ADSL modem driver is not vista 64bit compatible... or an issue with it not having administrator rights (or program isnt running as administrator)

4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:

It's not incompatible with Vista x64 because I never had this wierd issue before I re-installed Vista. How queer...

5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Are you using USB to run your connection? If you connect with ethernet, at least here in the states, its a direct connect to the internet and no software is needed. However, if you have an older modem where you had to "dial in" to your gateway, then I can see that happening. Im sure you could alleviate that with startup or msiconfig or another program.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    OK, I think I've fixed it :) I removed adiras.exe from startup programs using MSCONFIG.