• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

internet not connecting

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,

Kymberly_S

ok.. thanks.. thought you weren't going to be around until tonight my time.. I will try it..

Having trouble finding driver download :(

Last edited:
System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
it's nearly 5am here :p up all night gaming

Kymberly_S

ok.. well I found the right Driver.. And it didn't matter how I installed it.. I know I went through all the right motions.. the internet would not connect.. nor would the yellow question mark go away from the ethernet etc (device manager) .. Not if I try to update driver from there.. nothing.. even rebooted and tried another driver.. nothing.. I don't understand as the computer connected to the internet no worries before I reformatted it for them.. Do you think I should reformat again.. I don't see any other solution to get this to work??

Last edited:

Kymberly_S

Since you have an issue with wired internet, please post the same result with the wired connected and the wireless off.

Also make sure that Local Area Connection is not disabled within the network and sharing centre.

Hello and thank you for your response.

Do you mean, connect the cable to the computer and then go to Control Panel and disable the wireless? (don't know if it has that, will have to check)

Will check the network and sharing centre. Am really flying completely blind at the moment and am receiving all kinds of help so if this works it is due to nothing I have conjured up.. Just so everyone knows. Just when I thought I was pretty good at this stuff.. I wasn't.

Ok.. tried all that.. there was no network set up as I have just reformatted the computer.. I am stumped.. I have reformatted before and just plugged in the ADSL cord and Bobs your uncle..
This is the first time I have had trouble with the internet connecting in this house. We have outlets in just about every room and the courtyard.. plug the cord into the computer.. the other end into the outlet.. and I have access to the internet..

I hope I am doing the right thing by writing in the same post until there is an answer..? I didn't see the point in having a running commentary of each step wasting space and boring people lol..

Thanks for looking in ..

Last edited:
System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
ok, just a thought here, have you moved the troublesome PC to another outlet and plugged it in there? also i must say that you've had the best luck in the past concerning connecting to the internet if all you did was reformat, bung in the plugs and away you go!

Kymberly_S

ok, just a thought here, have you moved the troublesome PC to another outlet and plugged it in there? also i must say that you've had the best luck in the past concerning connecting to the internet if all you did was reformat, bung in the plugs and away you go!

Really?? Then I have only been lucky..? Well that's a load off.. now I don't feel like so much of a complete idiot.. Thanks.

I had my hubby's computer hooked up to this same port when I finished his and it worked.. Remember there is a yellow question mark near the network adapter text in device manager..

I have installed the correct driver for this AND it was connecting to the internet before I reformatted.. but now it wont.. I am meant to be having Dinner with these people tonight and really wanted to give their computer back..

(and get it out of my kitchen... off of my table.. )

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
well, what i am trying to say is, in the past i've ALWAYS had to install the ethernet drivers onto XP before any connectivity with the 'net. if all you've done is reformat (assuming you're not using a recovery disc) then the internet worked, that's quite an achievement.

Kymberly_S

well, what i am trying to say is, in the past i've ALWAYS had to install the ethernet drivers onto XP before any connectivity with the 'net. if all you've done is reformat (assuming you're not using a recovery disc) then the internet worked, that's quite an achievement.

So do you know anything else I can try because I am completely baffled?

And.. if I have installed the correct driver for that device... Why wont it pick it up still?

Thanks for taking the time by the way.. I appreciate it as I know this is a tedious thread..

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
ok let's take a step back. you've installed what you think are the correct drivers for the ethernet, right? yet the device in device manager says otherwise. that, to me, indicates that it's not the right driver. as soon as you install the right driver for a piece of hardware in XP, you get that little bubble pop up in the system tray informing you of new hardware found and is ready for use.

i also assume you haven't turned of the LAN port in the BIOS. i had that problem recently where i was using wireless but was getting poor download speeds; wired connections are much more stable and faster. so i went looking in the BIOS for any clues to re-enable the LAN port. i couldn't find it. but one time the motherboard seemed to reset itself and forced me to enter the BIOS, i found the part to re-enable the LAN and presto it all worked again after i found the disc containing the drivers.

so my guess is, you haven't installed the correct driver for it, though the PC might think it is.....

Kymberly_S

Was NOT the product key!

Hi all,
Still on the same computer. Had some other things I had to attend to. I didn’t get the computer finished before I went to the owners house for dinner (a week or so back).
I told them about the issues and they had a look through their disks and come out with an IBM disk with a piece of paper in it with numbers on it which I thought was the key.
I was very chuffed and thought now I could get the computer finished and back to them (sigh… and out of my way).. So.. I put the disk in and it started to reformat (mentally forgave them for not telling me they had to disk due to their lack of knowledge re computers).
When it came to put the key in...I got the piece of paper and noticed it wasn’t the same as a normal key but tried it anyway.. thinking.. “oh.. it’s probably just how they did it ‘back then' " … BUT it wasn’t the key .. I don’t know what the heck the piece of paper was doing in there with the numbers … SO now.. when I try to reformat with other windows xp disks.. (remember this is an old computer they bought from a friend for $80.00) it keeps going back to an area where I am meant to insert a second disk.. Doesn’t matter if I use a start up disk (floppy) and then go to the disk OR if I just start with a CD.. It just goes back to the insert 2nd disk..
I don’t know what the heck it is on about but know I should be able to reformat over this stuff but it isn’t working..
Can someone please help me out so I can get their computer back to them.. They just want to use it to set up skype and talk to family in England.
Thank you to anyone that can help.
sorry for buggen ya's again ..

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
could you be able to take out their disk drive and put it into a working PC and format it within Windows? failing that, load up a floppy start up disc and get into DOS then use the format command to wipe the disk.
that disc with the accompanying piece of paper sounds to me like the recovery disc when all goes wrong and you need to reformat, however (some) recovery discs are semi unattended, meaning there are bits of info already pre-entered during the installation phase i.e. the product key. i know for a fact that Dell do this in their recovery discs

by the way, what is this 2nd disk you're talking about?

syker

first, check "working offline". if that is checked, your problem is solved. otherwise, you will need to download your wireless connection driver.

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
first, check "working offline". if that is checked, your problem is solved. otherwise, you will need to download your wireless connection driver.

she can't even do that now as there's no functioning OS

Kymberly_S

could you be able to take out their disk drive and put it into a working PC and format it within Windows? failing that, load up a floppy start up disc and get into DOS then use the format command to wipe the disk.
that disc with the accompanying piece of paper sounds to me like the recovery disc when all goes wrong and you need to reformat, however (some) recovery discs are semi unattended, meaning there are bits of info already pre-entered during the installation phase i.e. the product key. i know for a fact that Dell do this in their recovery discs

by the way, what is this 2nd disk you're talking about?

I sooo don't want to take the drive.. not that I don't appreciate your help but I just don't have the energy to face that.. not again.

If I go into DOS and use the format cmd to wipe the disk.. Will I be able to reformat then?

I don't know what the 2nd disk is.. the computer is asking for it.. I have no other disk though.

Thanks for all your help.

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
yes, you should be able to reformat (even though you're doing a DOS format) i think the command would be "format /c" or something. the thing is DOS can be tricky to get into these days. what i did was load up the Win98 start up floppy disk that i'd made and kept, that gives you an option to go to "command prompt" i think it's shift-F8 or F5. you could always google around for was of getting into DOS on a hard drive.

Kymberly_S

Hellllllooooooooo
Nothing worked again.. THEN I looked at the scap of paper that had numbers on it that I thought was the product key and it wasn't and THEN :) I googled some stuff about product keys :) and I found this...
1. Insert the Installation CD into your CD / Drive Drive.
2. Explore the CD and navigate to the i386 folder.
3. Open the file UNATTEND.txt and scroll down to the last line.
4. You will find your Windows XP Product key there.
So I put the disk in my laptop.. Looked for the product key and found it.. Yaaaaaayyyy
Something is a whirring in the computer and I am secretly excited (like you wouldn't believe).. because if this works.. I can give the comp back (assuming the internet works... lol... "square 1" ) AND my kitchen will begin to resemble a kitchen again..
Thought the 4 step thing might be handy in case anyone else ever goes through this.

Will keep you posted..

I don't believe it.. it worked.. you'de think I'd be happy.. but now a bubble popped up and said.. "lets activate windows" Sooo this is a trial disk.. or something.. who knows.. so all this I have done and all the questions and trying this and trying that and finally it working.. and me thinking it was finally out of here..... all my happy just burst and disappeared.

Now I feel :( again...

Last edited:
System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
actually the bubble asking to activate is normal if windows couldn't activate if you weren't online or something like that. get it to go online and see if it will let you activate over the internet. It should be a pretty quick process.

Kymberly_S

Thanks Bruce.. Remember that old issue with the computer not connecting to the internet (have tried another cable).. Well it is still happening.. I mean just now because I tried.. So now I have to find some way of getting the drivers that I downloaded.. back because it was on my mums mem stick because my daughter borrowed mine and someone at her school stole it.. then broke it and left it for the teachers to find.. Mannnn. This is not cool!

Do you mean.. That once I 'can' get on the net.. The windows xp will be activated...? Like it does something itself or do I need to do more things?

Thanks bye the way. Thought I was on my lonesome tonight..

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
once you're connected then XP will activate, otherwise you have around 30 days left in trial mode. as for the unattended set up you mentioned, i've knowledge regarding that as i'm sure a lot of other people on TPU, but wouldn't bring it up as it wasn't relevant, but i'm glad you found it. did you know that you can automate the entire windows set up process so that you don't need to lift a finger? everything from pre-entering your product key to what region your keyboard is in and even adding in your own programs for pre-installation

Kymberly_S

Hi.. I got around the XP thing .. I am not set up and rearing to go.. I have installed drivers
q1chp01us13.exe
and
q38z01us.exe
one at a time trying to get the network to pick up the internet. I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction to 'precise' steps to take to install the drivers.. When one didn't work I deleted it and tried the other.. it is not picking up the appropriate file to initiate ?

Apart from hitting my head over and over on the monitor.. I am not sure what else to do to get this thing to pick up the internet.

Thank you for your input in advance. And Chryonn.. no.. I didn't know that.. I wish this computer was automated to fix it's own darn problems so I can get it out of the house.. You have noooo idea how much I am looking forward to not fixing anyone elses computer again.

Happy happy.. joy joy

System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
atr least now you know your limits to computer repair.

Kymberly_S

Yeah.. got that one about 2 computers ago.. still.. this one was meant to be a simple reformat.. I don't think that it's something I couldn't learn over time.. just that the interest is not there.. It's too time consuming right now and I am a mum.. a Nanna, a wife.. and there are so many things I have to attend to.. If my life was simpler it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrating. And.. it's not my job.. it's just something I help out with..
More to the point for me is knowing how I 'feel' about doing it.. Am much more into design.

Still trying to install the drivers.. I ran driver robot and then put the usb in the laptop and got the driver info from the internet and then back into the other computer.

So I was wondering.. Apart from going to device manager and going 'update driver' which it doesn't find.. or running the wizard where I locate the driver folder my self.. The computer still says it isn't picking up the drivers. Am assuming that Driver Robot has picked up the right drivers as that's what it's programmed to do.

Is there a specific more successful way to install the drivers that maybe I don't know about.. that maybe someone here knows.. ?

Thanks again hey :)

JFM31U1B-01U4W This number is on the ethernet controller box .. The cord is plugged in and the light is on. Nothing.

Last edited:
System Name Le Don
Case Antec P180 Silver
there might be another more efficient way but i still use either the driver's installer or use Window's update driver method. actually come to think of it, there's a program called Driver Genius which shouldin theory scan your PC and connect to the internet and download all drivers it finds are lacking: http://www.driver-soft.com/download.html

Kymberly_S

Ok.. Thanks I will find it and give that at try.. The others just aren't working. I can't understand for the life of me why either ways of updating the driver won't work. Anyway. Try what you said and see where it takes me.
Thanks for that ..