• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Introducing Meta: A Social Technology Company

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Throwing out algorithms, I really don't understand the difference between Facebook and this forum. I don't mean that in a negative way. Topics are posted to Techpowerup, just like they are on Facebook. People comment. It's a people problem not a platform problem. Society has degraded to become nearly 100% uncensored and unfiltered. Misinformation isn't specific to Facebook, it's everywhere.

Scale Techpowerup to billions of active users worldwide, and there is no difference.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Throwing out algorithms, I really don't understand the difference between Facebook and this forum. I don't mean that in a negative way. Topics are posted to Techpowerup, just like they are on Facebook. People comment. It's a people problem not a platform problem. Society has degraded to become nearly 100% uncensored and unfiltered. Misinformation isn't specific to Facebook, it's everywhere.

Scale Techpowerup to billions of active users worldwide, and there is no difference.
Sure there is. Without algorithms to sort and promote content, things would fall to the wayside very, very quickly. The reinforcement loop effects we see with most large scale algorithmic social media would be far, far weaker, simply because most content would just disappear before reaching most people.

You're right inasmuch as this can't solely be blamed on algorithms, but I don't think anyone here is doing that. What is being said is that due to the algorithms in place working as they do, being designed in the way they are, this serves to afford a specific set of interactions and behaviours. If people didn't in some way like these behaviours, this would likely not be a problem. But similarly, if these behaviours were not being afforded, or even promoted, by the algorithms, then people would most likely not take part in them to nearly the same degree.

I mean, the field of media effects and media reception has been studied for the better part of a century, and the main findings from this is that there is no such thing as a simple answer. Rather, how people relate to each other through social media, and how they relate to social media itself, is intrinsically bound up in the dynamics of these interactions, the affordances of the systems, the relations in play, the specific forms of mediation involved and how they affect how we view and relate to other people, and a whole host of other factors. Algorithms are just one piece of this puzzle. But its a major piece, one that ties together many if not most of the others, one that has a strong deterministic effect on the specific actions encouraged and afforded by the others, and crucially, is for the most part a black box, created with goals that are not necessarily aligned with (and potentially in direct conflict with) the goals of users. A large-scale system of communication that systemically privileges emotionally laden communication will over time encourage more emotionally laden posting and more emotional responses, as that is the behaviour afforded by the system, and other behaviours are similarly discouraged by the design of the system. This isn't a 1:1 relation in any way, but there is a clear direction to it still.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624

For one, there are active moderators in a more or less adequate scale to the forums activity.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Sure there is. Without algorithms to sort and promote content, things would fall to the wayside very, very quickly. The reinforcement loop effects we see with most large scale algorithmic social media would be far, far weaker, simply because most content would just disappear before reaching most people.

You're right inasmuch as this can't solely be blamed on algorithms, but I don't think anyone here is doing that. What is being said is that due to the algorithms in place working as they do, being designed in the way they are, this serves to afford a specific set of interactions and behaviours. If people didn't in some way like these behaviours, this would likely not be a problem. But similarly, if these behaviours were not being afforded, or even promoted, by the algorithms, then people would most likely not take part in them to nearly the same degree.

I mean, the field of media effects and media reception has been studied for the better part of a century, and the main findings from this is that there is no such thing as a simple answer. Rather, how people relate to each other through social media, and how they relate to social media itself, is intrinsically bound up in the dynamics of these interactions, the affordances of the systems, the relations in play, the specific forms of mediation involved and how they affect how we view and relate to other people, and a whole host of other factors. Algorithms are just one piece of this puzzle. But its a major piece, one that ties together many if not most of the others, one that has a strong deterministic effect on the specific actions encouraged and afforded by the others, and crucially, is for the most part a black box, created with goals that are not necessarily aligned with (and potentially in direct conflict with) the goals of users. A large-scale system of communication that systemically privileges emotionally laden communication will over time encourage more emotionally laden posting and more emotional responses, as that is the behaviour afforded by the system, and other behaviours are similarly discouraged by the design of the system. This isn't a 1:1 relation in any way, but there is a clear direction to it still.

I've been a Facebook member since 2007 (and I'm not defending Facebook by any means). I've never engaged in highlighted problems with Facebook, despite algorithm changes over a decade.

It's a people problem. Society has degraded. Social norms and boundaries are collapsing. This is from the top down, leadership in government to people on Facebook.

For one, there are active moderators in a more or less adequate scale to the forums activity.

Rule breaking exists despite moderation.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

The difference (with or without algorithms) is the automated sharing. On TPU I may get a heads-up about some user I'm following, but nothing's going to fill my forum page of kittens and whatnot.
I.e. social media actively pushes content, while also actively maintains it's not responsible for the content it pushes. That was fine in the early days, but today, with countless instances of damages enabled by social media, it cannot allowed to continue without tighter regulation.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
The difference (with or without algorithms) is the automated sharing. On TPU I may get a heads-up about some user I'm following, but nothing's going to fill my forum page of kittens and whatnot.
I.e. social media actively pushes content, while also actively maintains it's not responsible for the content it pushes. That was fine in the early days, but today, with countless instances of damages enabled by social media, it cannot allowed to continue without tighter regulation.

People have choice to respond to a post they are provided. No one forces you to type a comment. They make money off advertising driven by engagement probability.

The only root problem I have with them is data mining of their users.

For example, TechPowerUp uses google analytics to track website activity. This is very extremely minimal in comparison to sites like TomsHardware who is literally using 49 known trackers.

ssc-cms.33across.com
eb2.3lift.com
s2.adform.net
sync.adkernel.com
ib.adnxs.com
cdn.adsafeprotected.com
match.adsrvr.org
pixel.advertising.com
c.amazon-adsystem.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
sync.bfmio.com
x.bidswitch.net
stags.bluekai.com
bttrack.com
ssum-sec.casalemedia.com
bh.contextweb.com
p.cpx.to
cdn.districtm.io
uk-script.dotmetrics.net
purch-match.dotomi.com
ad.doubleclick.net
securepubads.g.doubleclick.net
cs.emxdgt.com
ps.eyeota.net
www.facebook.com
www.google-analytics.com
adservice.google.com
g2.gumgum.com
b-code.liadm.com
ap.lijit.com
cookie-matching.mediarithmics.com
ml314.com
cdn.onesignal.com
us-u.openx.net
cdn.parsely.com
6093eccf-6734-4877-ac8b-83d6d0e27b46.edge.permutive.app
ads.pubmatic.com
id.sv.rkdms.com
api.rlcdn.com
ats.rlcdn.com
secure-assets.rubiconproject.com
sb.scorecardresearch.com
ads.servebom.com
offer.slgnt.eu
purch-sync.go.sonobi.com
sync.go.sonobi.com
qds0l.publishers.tremorhub.com
ups.analytics.yahoo.com
content.zeotap.com
Disable for this site Report broken site

Beyond that data mining, you are asking Facebook to fix society problems which is impossible. It existed before and will exist after. No amount of government regulation will solve that unless we go Chinese communist, and just shut down all social media platforms and then further stop any all dissent in society.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
People have choice to respond to a post they are provided. No one forces you to type a comment. They make money off advertising driven by engagement probability.
That's assuming the target audience is responsible adults. Which we all know it's not.
Beyond that data mining, you are asking Facebook to fix society problems which is impossible. It existed before and will exist after. No amount of government regulation will solve that unless we go Chinese communist, and just shut down all social media platforms and then further stop any all dissent in society.
I know, I have already stated it's a tough nut to crack - it's every bit as hard as gun control. But they can certainly do better than they do.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's assuming the target audience is responsible adults. Which we all know it's not.
No, it just assumes that humans are, or can be, (mainly/only) rational actors, which is perhaps the single most damaging fallacy promoted by Western enlightenment thinking. (Though the mind-body split is also up there, for sure.)

I know, I have already stated it's a tough nut to crack - it's every bit as hard as gun control. But they can certainly do better than they do.
As far as the US goes, I'd be more worried about the lies and propaganda the MSN pushes than Facebook algorithms. With gun control, it's the cities with the most stringent gun laws that have the most shootings.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
As far as the US goes, I'd be more worried about the lies and propaganda the MSN pushes than Facebook algorithms. With gun control, it's the cities with the most stringent gun laws that have the most shootings.
Not really relevant to the topic, but have you considered that the causality might be the other way around? I.e. that they have the strictest gun laws in order to try and reduce an already high level of gun violence? I'm not saying there's a causal relation either way, but you clearly are without backing that up with anything more than a loaded suggestion.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
No, it just assumes that humans are, or can be, (mainly/only) rational actors, which is perhaps the single most damaging fallacy promoted by Western enlightenment thinking. (Though the mind-body split is also up there, for sure.)

Individuals have the ability to turn off things they do not want to see and encourage things they do want to see. One person may choose to turn off CNN, another to turn off Fox News. If you run around looking for Russian conspiracies then you'll see that, if you look for Q-Anon then it'll show you more. If you want to know how useless masks are you'll see that, if you want to know how great they are that is what you'll see.

What this really amounts to is the rather obvious - people want to control what others see and read in order to foist their agendas on others. Since social media is a 'push' model unlike say a library which is clearly a 'pull' model, it's an easy target. You are not getting educated on social media, you are being indoctrinated. This is where most people will have a cow, because they think they've learned so much on Twitter and Facebook.

Personally I think social media platforms should be redefined and greatly shrunk by removing their section 230 protection entirely.

Not really relevant to the topic, but have you considered that the causality might be the other way around? I.e. that they have the strictest gun laws in order to try and reduce an already high level of gun violence? I'm not saying there's a causal relation either way, but you clearly are without backing that up with anything more than a loaded suggestion.
What loaded suggestion? St. Louis, Chicago, DC, Detroit, and Baltimore just to name a few have the strictest gun laws in the US and also the most shootings per capita.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
What loaded suggestion? St. Louis, Chicago, DC, Detroit, and Baltimore just to name a few have the strictest gun laws in the US and also the most shootings per capita.
That might be (I frankly have no idea about the facts here), but why is it being brought up in this context? What are you pointing at by saying this in this discussion? It certainly seems like you're implying a causal relationship, but if so that just warrants a reminder that correlation does not equal causation. If not, then I don't understand your response, or why you brought it up at all (though tbh I struggle with the latter regardless of the intent, as its getting very very OT at this point).

Reactions: bug
That might be (I frankly have no idea about the facts here), but why is it being brought up in this context? What are you pointing at by saying this in this discussion? It certainly seems like you're implying a causal relationship, but if so that just warrants a reminder that correlation does not equal causation. If not, then I don't understand your response, or why you brought it up at all (though tbh I struggle with the latter regardless of the intent, as its getting very very OT at this point).
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...social-technology-company.288435/post-4640454

Reading the post I quoted and then your reply afterwards isn't difficult.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Dude, the infinity symbol has been around for ever, they just twisted it a little haha.
It just happened to coincide with a show on Netflix that used that design for their alien antagonist, so just a bit of fun.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...social-technology-company.288435/post-4640454

Reading the post I quoted and then your reply afterwards isn't difficult.
Hm? I don't see your point. You said "I'd be more concerned about propaganda", and then brought up a more or less random point about a seeming correlation between gun violence and legislation. This strongly implies that you think this relates to said "propaganda", but leaves it at the level of a loaded suggestion as you neither argue for it nor present any data or analysis supporting there being an actual causal relation. Hence me asking about the directionality of this relation and whether there can be said to be any causal link at all. Is this difficult to grasp?

The post you quoted just said "this is a difficult question, just like gun control". You took that statement and... went to "the places with the strictest gun control laws have the most gun violence", as if that statement somehow addresses the complexities of gun control.
Individuals have the ability to turn off things they do not want to see and encourage things they do want to see. One person may choose to turn off CNN, another to turn off Fox News. If you run around looking for Russian conspiracies then you'll see that, if you look for Q-Anon then it'll show you more. If you want to know how useless masks are you'll see that, if you want to know how great they are that is what you'll see.
Again, this is a bit too simplistic. It's not wrong, but using the word "choose" without any further reservations makes it sound as if this is an entirely voluntary and rational process, which it isn't - and crucially, can never realistically be. Relating consciously and rationally to everything in your life is simply not possible - even attempting such a thing is a recipe for exhaustion and burnout. Heck, there is plenty of research on the severe detrimental effects of too much information and having too many choices to make. Our brains don't work that way - relying on habit, automated responses, or just not thinking things through all that much is a survival mechanism. This of course has several issues, from those habits and automated responses being flawed in various ways (in no small part thanks to habits often forming from these non-rational, to opening one up to manipulation.

The issue arises when so much of our lives are mediated through essentially free-for-all platforms, where anyone with the right degree of savvy and lack of scruples have the means to spread manipulative lies to millions of people. And the issue is exacerbated when these platforms are built around "engagement", and see all engagement as good engagement, meaning that anything shocking or provocative gets promoted and shared more, gets featured more prominently in people's feeds, etc. And on top of that there are the algorithms for feeding you new things, which feed off previous engagement, which always leads to escalation in degree and form. There's plenty of excellent reporting done on the shockingly short path from watching relatively moderate conservative videos on YouTube to being served bonkers Pizzagate-style conspiracy theories - and Facebook does the same, just slightly more subtly and more through paid ads.
What this really amounts to is the rather obvious - people want to control what others see and read in order to foist their agendas on others. Since social media is a 'push' model unlike say a library which is clearly a 'pull' model, it's an easy target. You are not getting educated on social media, you are being indoctrinated. This is where most people will have a cow, because they think they've learned so much on Twitter and Facebook.
This on the other hand I completely agree with. Social media gained popularity through ease of use and new modes of communication, but brought with them a problematic blurring of the lines between social and parasocial relationships as well as various never before seen modes of one-to-many multidirectional communication (or: shouting into the void, hoping for a response). On top of that, as these companies were hemorrhaging money (and the creators likely took a lot of voyeuristic pleasure in their access to various data), they started mixing ands and promotions into this - which quickly become a really, really problematic mixture. Rather than realizing the initial utopian dream of free and open communication we instead have a system dominated by (hidden) money and power, just in slightly new forms (often modelled after tax evasion and other neoliberal schemes, with shell accounts and astroturfing), but with all the more reach and impact as people haven't learned (or have forgotten) how to differentiate between trustworthy sources, actual social relationships, and all the cruft.

Btw, a really interesting article I read the other day by one of the more interesting media researchers in recent decades on this exact thing: People aren't meant to talk this much.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Again, this is a bit too simplistic. It's not wrong, but using the word "choose" without any further reservations makes it sound as if this is an entirely voluntary and rational process, which it isn't - and crucially, can never realistically be. Relating consciously and rationally to everything in your life is simply not possible - even attempting such a thing is a recipe for exhaustion and burnout. Heck, there is plenty of research on the severe detrimental effects of too much information and having too many choices to make. Our brains don't work that way - relying on habit, automated responses, or just not thinking things through all that much is a survival mechanism. This of course has several issues, from those habits and automated responses being flawed in various ways (in no small part thanks to habits often forming from these non-rational, to opening one up to manipulation.

Whether you think people have the ability to make choices or not, it is wrong to not give a choice. Facebook contains no addictive compounds which force the brain to do anything. Your implication that people can't make choices is just wrong.

For example, you made a choice to comment repeatedly on this topic. No one forced you to, but you did. You made a choice. You could have also made the choice not to. There is no difference between a forum like TechPowerUp and Facebook in regards to content and making choices. Facebook may have more advanced algorithms and larger userbase to target people based on the data they have collected, but that is only to provide better service for advertisers and to also group large quantities of data for certain audiences who may find it news worthy.

Regulation is not the answer. Better society and better leadership is. Politicians and society blame Facebook for their own problems.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Whether you think people have the ability to make choices or not, it is wrong to not give a choice. Facebook contains no addictive compounds which force the brain to do anything. Your implication that people can't make choices is just wrong.

For example, you made a choice to comment repeatedly on this topic. No one forced you to, but you did. You made a choice. You could have also made the choice not to. There is no difference between a forum like TechPowerUp and Facebook in regards to content and making choices. Facebook may have more advanced algorithms and larger userbase to target people based on the data they have collected, but that is only to provide better service for advertisers and to also group large quantities of data for certain audiences who may find it news worthy.

Regulation is not the answer. Better society and better leadership is. Politicians and society blame Facebook for their own problems.
...sigh. Please at least make an attempt at reading carefully? I never said anything even remotely close to an "implication that people can't make choices". I said that the choices people make are never purely rational, often not even conscious, and live in an extremely complex and muddled area between choice and habit, and that thus using the world "choose" without any reservations brings with it an unsustainable assumption of conscious rationality.

Also: post-hoc framing is not the same as situated reality. Yes, I made a choice to comment on this topic. Does that mean that I necessarily at that point thought "I could not, but I'm choosing to respond to this"? No. I might have, or I might not. I might have felt compelled by something said by someone else in an intellectual way, an emotional way, or (far more likely) some mixture of both. There are many, many ways of framing the re-telling of such events after the fact, each of which will have different implications for how the events are understood and interpreted. Again, as the world "choice" has strong ties to the idea of the rational enlightened subject making conscious actions towards the world, describing events this way carries with it a mode of interpretation that is quite problematic and certainly cannot be said to be universally applicable. Not everything that can be described as "a choice" can be reasonably understood as such in the context in which it happened without a lot of context.

Also, you're entirely ignoring the structural power of determining which choices are available in the first place, something that social media algorithms have almost absolute power over. And this is where the complex tie-ins with other fundamental human behaviours and needs come into play - if you want to keep up with your family and friends (for example), you also necessarily open yourself up to being affected by what these algorithms choose to serve you. There are many, many, many different ways of resisting this, but (again, crucially), such resistance necessitates a conscious effort, and is incredibly draining over time. Sustaining such an effort is nearly impossible in the context of a normal human life - there are typically more pressing things to spend your mental energy on (or you just might not be sufficiently aware of the myriad ways in which you are being pushed and pulled, and thus not have the vocabulary to formulate strategies of resistance).

I'm not necessarily saying that regulation is the answer - I don't have any suggestions as to how to effectively regulate social media without that effectively becoming censorship. But it's pretty clear that the current predatory capitalist free-for-all is deeply harmful on many levels. Whether this is because it has exacerbated already existing tendencies and developments in culture and society, or whether it has in some form caused those developments itself? That's a kind of black-and-white, nuance and detail erasing chicken and egg question that is at best a distraction, as it asks us to question root causes and only try to fix those when we can identify them (which we will never be able to do, as there are as many root causes as there are people using these media, if not more), rather than try to counteract the well documented harmful effects of the current mechanisms of these media.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Read up on the papers that are released on Facebook and their business model. Algorithms are directing what posts are promoted and more visible, more prominent and more prone to appear on timelines of users. The 'weight' of a like is subject of manipulation, and depends on what kind of post its under, and partially directs how the algorithm ranks visibility. On TPU, there is a 'fixed system' where the date/time of the latest post makes the topic appear on top of a subsection. You, the user, is in control of what appears as prominent, and the way this data is being used is transparent. We can see what's happening.

Facebook is a black box and that box has been opened, and what we can see is mind blowing, free from all ethics and only built for personal (zuckerberg) gain at the expense of everything and everyone else. Literally. Aggression and failure is promoted because it generates clicks. Positive posts are made less prominent because it doesn't quite generate the same ad revenue.

It could not be more different. We could spend a day worldwide filling Facebook with love and flowers, and we'd still get served more misery on top of timelines.

In similar ways many algorithms have shown to promote tunnel vision, they create a self-reinforcing and self-confirming effect, ergo tunnel vision and a distorted window on reality.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Read up on the papers that are released on Facebook and their business model. Algorithms are directing what posts are promoted and more visible, more prominent and more prone to appear on timelines of users. The 'weight' of a like is subject of manipulation, and depends on what kind of post its under, and partially directs how the algorithm ranks visibility. On TPU, there is a 'fixed system' where the date/time of the latest post makes the topic appear on top of a subsection. You, the user, is in control of what appears as prominent, and the way this data is being used is transparent. We can see what's happening.

Facebook is a black box and that box has been opened, and what we can see is mind blowing, free from all ethics and only built for personal (zuckerberg) gain at the expense of everything and everyone else. Literally. Aggression and failure is promoted because it generates clicks. Positive posts are made less prominent because it doesn't quite generate the same ad revenue.

It could not be more different. We could spend a day worldwide filling Facebook with love and flowers, and we'd still get served more misery.

I've already stated at the beginning, algorithms aside there is no difference. Add in algorithms, and its only provides you more prominent posting of things you were already shown to be interested in.

Prominent posts aren't generating revenue, advertisement you see on Facebook is generating revenue and selling your data. The only remotely shady aspect is that your data is being mined and sold, and ads are being targeted based off your data.

Prominent posts causing discussion is only creating reaction, and no revenue.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I've already stated at the beginning, algorithms aside there is no difference. Add in algorithms, and its only provides you more prominent posting of things you were already shown to be interested in.

Prominent posts aren't generating revenue, advertisement you see on Facebook is generating revenue and selling your data. The only remotely shady aspect is that your data is being mined and sold, and ads are being targeted based off your data.

And I'm saying your guess is wrong, read the papers.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
And I'm saying your guess is wrong, read the papers.

You’ve bought in to a narrative to draw your conclusion.

Your argument is no different than saying we should ban CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and other news outlets for promoting stories that generate attention more, in a negative manner towards one side or the other.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R

This is where you're wrong. Without the prominent posts, there would be no page to display the ads on, prominent posts do generate revenue albeit slightly indirectly.

Imagine instead of Facebook were talking about UPS instead. If UPS made a business model of delivering what people want, would it be ok if they delivered drugs, gins and explosives, shifting all responsibility to the customer?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
This is where you're wrong. Without the prominent posts, there would be no page to display the ads on, prominent posts do generate revenue albeit slightly indirectly.

Imagine instead of Facebook were talking about UPS instead. If UPS made a business model of delivering what people want, would it be ok if they delivered drugs, gins and explosives, shifting all responsibility to the customer?

Posts generate engagement.
User profiles and tracking of likes / dislikes etc. generate data.
Both in combination provide an outlet for targeted advertisement.

I’ve never stated otherwise.

Last edited: