1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iPhone 8 or Galaxy Note 8 ?

Discussion in 'Phones & Tablets' started by Prima.Vera, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Favorite 2017/2018 Smartphone

1. iPhone 8/8+

11.4%
  2. iPhone X

28.6%
  3. Galaxy S8/S8+

22.9%
  4. Galaxy Note 8

28.6%
  5. Google Pixel 2

11.4%
  6. Nokia 9

5.7%
  7. Other

17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    First of all, this is not a fanbouy thread, therefore not looking to start a forum war and trolling on the subject.
    This thread is just to hear everyone's opinions regarding the near future release of the both phones.
    What are the PROs and CONs of each phone, design, performance etc.

I have an iPhone 6 plus first gen and I feel like kind of replacing it this year with a new phone maybe with a better and larger screen, better battery life and better storage. Price is, naturally, also important.

So what are your thoughts on the matter?

qubit says thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It really comes down to O/S. Do you like Android or iOS? iPhone 8 isn't out yet btw.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Well , Note 8 also is not out.... :D
    Personally I have no preference. I have a Apple phone and a Samsung tablet, which I think is the best there is out there due to the AMOLED Plus screen, battery performance and OS speed. The Phone is also good and does what I need so no clear choice here.

4. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    The Note 8 is going to have a slightly bigger screen according to the leaks.
    I do like the iPhone more though, simply due to the unbloated nature of their OS

5. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    DRDNA says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    iPhone if you want to keep things simple

Solaris17 says thanks.
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well it seems the Samsung has more technologies built into it than the Iphone. So unless the Sammy is way more costly I would go with the Sammy. As A Tech I enjoy Android better as I'm aloud more control over the OS and Apps.

P4-630 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I went from a Iphone 5 to a Droid Turbo and now using a Iphone 8. Never was happy with the Android OS.

Athlon2K15 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. IceScreamer

IceScreamer

Thanks Received:
    If you plan to tinker with your phone, and want a bit more to customize go with the Note, otherwise iPhone. Personally, iPhone is a bit too restricted for my liking but is also very very optimized, because of the nature of their lineup.

DRDNA says thanks.
  11. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    I need a phone with bigger screen, quality screen, which can also have a quality video player for MKVs with AC3/DTS, since I watch a lot of Movies/TV Shows on the way to work (~50 mins).
    Also fast response, long lasting battery, quality camera (I only use the phone nowadays instead of a camera), etc

12. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    What about Oneplus 5?
    I know, it's FHD and not QHD, but you get a benefit of much longer battery life.
    Combined w/ 3300mAh battery you will have enough juice to watch a couple of seasons of Fringe on one charge, not just a movie on the way to work.
    Camera is on par with iPhone 7 Plus. Stabilization during video is flaky, but static images are definitely better than on iPhone (and higher res.).

Personally, I am gonna get Xiaomi Mi6 to replace my aging HTC One M7. I don't like large screens, but apparently today it's near impossible to get a good 4.7" or 5" phone with decent specs and quality.

13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Huawei mate 9 -- big screen and 4000mAh battery!

silentbogo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I still have a Galaxy Note 3 which is going strong.

I like the fact that I can connect it to my PC and use it like an external storage device or even drag downloaded videos into it to play back later on the train etc.

With my old iPhone everything had to go through iTunes and you couldn't put your own downloaded content on it to play back later.

Prima.Vera says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    I have a 1+ 3T, runs super fast, (oxygen OS is awesome) its highly tweakable, battery lasts (3400mAh), camera is good and Dash Charging is absolutely insane, this thing takes 30min to easly pump 60% battery in.

The 1+5 seems to be lacking in some areas and needs to have some issues solved before I it is a no brainer, but its the fastest android phone out there.

HTC U11 seems to be the best android phone of the year so far, take a look into that.

16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Id dispute this. Many people have been saying that the mate 9 has matured extremely well since its release. That's if youre after a big handset.

Big screen, big battery, decent spec not to mention 4gb ram to boot!

Honor 8 Pro is also a good one. Almost the same spec but smaller

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    iOS simply works and iPhones has better resell value. I travel and iPhones (unlock) works on most carriers internationally. Wish it has dual sim tho :laugh:

18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    There would have been a time when I'd have said Android hands down. However, iPhone security against malware is definitely better and the hardware is good, so nowadays I'd say I'd have to try both and see which I prefer. In the end it might come down to price though and with the iPhone being so expensive I'd likely get the Samsung on that alone.

People also tout the features and hackability of Android to customise it as you want it, which is true and a very good feature. However, while I have an Android phone, I've found that I'm not especially interested in this, especially since it's mission critical for me, so reliability and availability are very important to me, hence faffing about with it enthusiast style isn't gonna happen.

19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    If that is the case, why not a Google Pixel? Just like the iPhone but with Android. No bloatware.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    not water resistant, maybe pixel 2

21. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Well, by reading all the rumors and "leaks" seems that the Galaxy Note 8 will be even more expensive than the iPhone 8...
    For now I'm more interested in the best design and functionality....

22. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    I have no experience with the mate 9 but looking at it, it seems to be an hard choice compared to the One plus 3T. The OS on the 3T is totally debloated, the modifications introduced by oxygen OS make it feel like an improved stock android experience.
    Comparing both phones in terms of specs and price I think that it doesn't make much sense to buy the mate 9, unless you really love EMUI and really need to expand the 64GB on internal memory. In that case an OTG cable an external micro SD reader can do the trick for the one plus.
    One again the DASH Charge on the one plus 3/3T and 5 is absolutely fantastic, best and fastest charging system on the market.

Keep in kind that the mate 9 is 130 more than the 1+3T. The 1+5 is still cheaper than the mate 9, but it has some odd quirks that need to be solved.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8416&idPhone2=8073

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  23. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Instead of these two, I recommend something cheaper and equally good. Take a look at Meizu Pro6s, Huawei Honor 9, Huawei Mate 9 Porsche Design (if money isn't issue for you), Sony Xperia XZs, ZTE Nubia Z17, Xiaomi Mi6s, OnePlus 5...

24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Bigger battery, bigger screen plus the convenience of having a microSD card slot instead of constantly needing to carry around an OTG cable and a usb stick. 6GB is nice to have but are you ever going to need or use all of it?? as for fast charge -- mate 9 can reach 90% in 60mins

Oneplus Quotes "A day's power in half an hour" -- While at 90% on the mate 9 will give you at least 2 days or just under 2 days depending on your usage. Hell, the longest time between charges with my daily with my mate 9 ive had while at work so far is 2days|18hrs and i still had about 12% battery left.... -- Mate 9 is better in that respect.

The snapdragon 821 and its GPU is more powerful then the Kirin 960 and its GPU but the difference isnt huge by any means.

Mate 9 might be more expensive, but you get so much more for your money as well as the 5.9" screen compared to the 5.5 of the 3T -- its an absolute no brainer. the Honor 8 Pro is like a mini Mate 9 with a smaller screen but higher resolution and 6GB of ram. everything else is exactly the same....

mate 9 also has dual rear cameras/sensors (one 20mpx and one 12mpx) compared to the single 16mpx of the 3T but mpx isnt everything.

Mate 9 is just better. f**kers at OnePlus couldn't even let you have the second sim slot as a memcard slot which is just stupid. They should have at least given you that option between the standard version and the dual sim version.

Also, to quote the OP....

Mate 9 ticks all the boxes possibly apart from the price but i bought my Mate 9 new for $500(USD) but I got $30 cashback on it also so YMMMV

Meizu Pro6s, Honor 9, Sony Xperia XZs, ZTE Nubia Z17 Xiaomi Mi 6 are either small phones with small screens (5.1-5.5") , small batteries (around 3000-3400mAh or less) and small storage capacities (with the exception of maybe one thats expandable but paired with a 5.1" or 5.2" screen......) --- None of these handsets meet the OPs criteria. they are many steps backwards rather than forwards.

@Prima.Vera -- The mate 9 or Honor 8 Pro might be more pricey but it ticks all the boxes. and the handset will only get better over time as Huawei have coded part of the OS to learn what apps you use the most and cache it so it loads up even quicker -- almost like that of an SSD or caching software on a PC -- It will only get better over time. It does come with some bloat but a lot of it can be disabled or uninstalled

I moved from a Oppo Find 7A which was made of metal and plastic to the mate 9 which is all metal and my god does the mate 9 feel every bit as premium as any other flagship device. You definitely wont be disappointed should you decide to buy this or the Honor 8 Pro

::EDIT::

Oh and the Mate 9 has an IR blaster which means you can control your TV/Hifi or Air Con with it. Its a handy feature. I certainly had fun using mine!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. Xpect

Thanks Received:
    My opinion, without reading anything the others wrote:

I own a Galaxy S8 at the moment. I'm a Samsung user since my first Smartphone, an original Galaxy S(1) GT-i9000.
    What pulled me to Samsung in the past for an upgrade of the S1 to an S3 (GT-i9300), was the physical Homebutton and backlit touch-keys for auxiliary Android-Buttons, where other vendors only let me press a button on the frame of the device to wake it from screen off.
    Then I upgraded to a Galaxy S6 (GF920) because I got it relatively cheap and I liked the posibility of using it as a remote via the infrared port.
    Now I upgraded to the S8, simply because no other Vendor apart from Samsung let's me have Wireless charging out of the box. At least not here in Germany (European LG G6 doesn't have wireless charge). I got a few charging stations for my S6 and I really love that feature.

When Note 8 and the next iPhone come out, to me it will be firstly a battle of features. Wireless charging is a make-or-break feature for me.
    After that come some convenience features, like "Can I set the .wav soundfile that I'm using as messagetone for 5 years now?" "Can I grab my music from my server via WiFi to have some music on the go without network?" "Can I just plug the phone into my PC to transfer data without installing extra tools?" etc.
    And to those questions there still is only one answer:

iPhone can't do it.