1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ipod is stuck...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zero Cool, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont rly like apple, this Ipod mini is my sisters and it broke. She said I can have it if I fix it. :rockout:
    Ipod mini for free, not a bad deal.

The problem:
    when turned on only the apple logo appears and stays there. Ipod not responsive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    what happens if you try to connect it to a computer? Does it give any other warning logos or just the Apple logo and then nothing?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    My guess is the hard drive. Try replacing it by a compact flash card. If Apple didn't do anything fancy to the Ipod it might just work then.

You can also try the drive in a card reader.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it actually does work to stuff a cf card into a mini. theres a few articles on www.hackaday.org about it, expandable up to 8gb thru microdrive. that just might do the trick for you

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    My mom has a 3g ipod (that she dropped in the toilet) and the hdd goes....click.......click.......click........click......click......and !folder. i'm 95% it's the hard drive. prolly the same thing as yours, except your is flash!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
    • Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.
    • If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

try that

To restore your iPod mini:

* Warning: Because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure to back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library.

How to restore your iPod:

1. Make sure you've reinstalled the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer.
    3. After a few moments, it will appear in the Source list in iTunes.
    4. Select your iPod in the Source list and you will see information about it appear in the Settings tab of the main iTunes windows.
    5. Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:

Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
    Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
    Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
    Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.

6. A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will instruct you to leave iPod connected to your computer to complete restore.

Restore Instruction 1: Disconnect iPod and connect it to iPod Power Adapter (typically applies to older iPod models).
    Restore Instruction 2: Leave iPod connected to computer to complete restore (typically applies newer iPod models).

7. During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
    8. After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

or this

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the help everyone! I checked out the ipod, so heres so more details.

I connected Ipod to the computer via FireWire:
    Apple logo appears for half minute
    then
    corrupt file symbol appears.
    then
    DO NOT DISCONECT thing appears...

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. hdd, get it fixed if you find it worth it, i personally got rid of mine after 3 hdd's went and got a sansa mp3/video player, it's got 8 gigs of solid state flash memory, lasts twice as long on the battery, and only cost me 150 at bestbuy

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    and thats why we dont buy Ipods. :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. tkpenalty

Thanks Received:
    This is not a forum for libel. Please refrain from it...

Its amazing that this thread only has ONE of these anti-apple comments :shadedshu

Good on ya guys! :roll:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like apple, it was just not the best idea to put HDD into portable players.

and btw, I connected the iPod to the computer, I was listening to music on iTunes and after a while iTunes said that it detected a corrupted iPod. and it sayed I should restore it, so I did but it comes up with a error in the middle of restoring.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok its error 1418 meaning the death of an iPod.
    everybody is flaming iPod forums for this, but they delete all of the threads as soon as they are made

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Try formatting with the HP format tool here on TPU.
    I have a PMP that would not work anymore. It said boot error. The first time it crashed i send it back to the factory. I costed me 75 euro to fix it.
    The second time i tried myself with the tool and worked perfectly. Maybe it works.:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. someone had to say it tk lol. APPLE FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    it doesnt seem to find it.
    and in my computer it cannot be reformatted either. it says the size of hte device is 0 bytes :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received: