• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is 650-750W enough

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
And then Newegg does this:
Damn that really sucks

I paid $109.28 for the Corsair RM750X
Make sure you have the cables in the right ports on the PSU, correct cables are used.

If it doesn't work send that unit back for money back and get a Seasonic.

You may have to dry test those parts with shorting out the atx connector without it hooked to anything but fans and aio
yea the ports are labeled and I tried different ports

The LEDs flicker on and than goes right back off

Pump whined very loud so I just slapped another cooler on it

The HDD doesn’t do anything not even spin up

But I’ll try outside the case and see what happens

I stopped using them all those years ago when they put out all those PSUs they basically knew would fail because they were using counterfeit caps. So they just underrated them to hope to get them to last just long enough for the warranty to expire. They did eventually recall the units after their scheme was found out and they were threatened with a class-action, but I had already had 4 of the units fail. Their PSUs have never seemed to get back to the good quality they had in the late 90's early 2000s. Antec will never get my business again.

I'm really sad that I didn't grab more of the EVGA Supernova 1000 G3 units back when Newegg had them for 89.99. I only grabbed 1, but I wish I had grabbed 2 more.

That's not good. I really hope the old PSU's didn't take other parts with it when it died. :(

Time to start testing the parts in another system to see if anything is really dead or if you just got a dud new PSU.
Yea that’s what I’m going to do as this was a new build that I finished like a month ago.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I've seen more Antec PSU's fail than any other brand. I personally stopped using them because of that.

I've owned three Antec PSU (all seasonic OEM) back in the day when they were the premier PC brand. One I still use, one I sold but worked very well, and one suffered from coil whine the second I installed it (even though the 550w version of the exact same line had no issue).

I've never had an issue with CWT units regardless of brand.

FYI, a solid 550W unit would power the OPs PC. 750w+ is overkill unless at equal prices

I stopped using them all those years ago when they put out all those PSUs they basically knew would fail because they were using counterfeit caps. So they just underrated them to hope to get them to last just long enough for the warranty to expire. They did eventually recall the units after their scheme was found out and they were threatened with a class-action, but I had already had 4 of the units fail.

Which line was this, can you link the story?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I'm sorry to hear this happened, I've heard before Corsair branded PSU's were iffy at best.

I guess all you can do is an RMA for a refund and then grab a "Good" unit, Myself and at least one other has said to get a Seasonic, those do have a good rep behind them.

I do also hope it didn't hurt anything.
This is why I was saying to never cheap out on a PSU because something like this could happen - Not that it coudn't with any of them but the chance of it is reduced by far with a known quality unit. That few $$ you save buying a cheap PSU could equal shelling out alot of quid to replace an entire build.

Hope it goes well for you - Good Luck!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm sorry to hear this happened, I've heard before Corsair branded PSU's were iffy at best.

I guess all you can do is an RMA for a refund and then grab a "Good" unit, Myself and at least one other has said to get a Seasonic, those do have a good rep behind them.

I do also hope it didn't hurt anything.
This is why I was saying to never cheap out on a PSU because something like this could happen - Not that it coudn't with any of them but the chance of it is reduced by far with a known quality unit. That few $$ you save buying a cheap PSU could equal shelling out alot of quid to replace an entire build.

Hope it goes well for you - Good Luck!

The review in 2015 was decent from jonnyguru, this just happened to him.

Hope it didnt kill anything...

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Antec makes (or rebrands) lots of stuff. I would not write off an entire company for life just because I had problems with a few products in one product line. IMO, they still make great cases and they make great fans too. And IMO, their top-tier PSUs are still worth considering.

But like many big corporations that make many product in a variety of quality tiers, not all of their products are created equal. I would not buy their entry level PSUs, just as I avoid Corsair entry level PSUs because they are not of the same quality as their upper tier models.

And I would not assume just because a company had some poorly manufactured products years ago, that they still make that same poorly manufactured product, that they never addressed the problems with those products, or that they always will product those poorly manufactured products. It just makes no good business sense

I highly suspect there is not any company that makes a variety of products that has not had problems with some of them.

The problem with product review sites is they never go back 2 or 3 years later to see how that product is holding up. All I can say is I still have a couple 15 year old Antec True430 PSUs (definitely NOT their top of the line) that are still chugging along (with voltages comfortably within allowed tolerances) after all these years.

IMO, each model should be considered individually - not entire brand names.

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
@Durvelle27

I dont think it was the Corsair unit that killed your hard drives and pump. It was almost certainly the PSU that died that took the stuff with it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Which line was this, can you link the story?

It was the Smartpower or TruePower series, I can't remember which, it was early 2000s.

I don't think the issue is the Corsair, it's the Antec that originally failed. Corsair units are usually very good.

Seasonics are good, but not the end all of PSUs. A PSU doesn't have to be a Seasonic to be good.

Antec makes (or rebrands) lots of stuff. I would not write off an entire company for life just because I had problems with a few products in one product line. IMO, they still make great cases and they make great fans too. And IMO, their top-tier PSUs are still worth considering.

It isn't about their products, it is about the fact that their knew the product was defective and would die, but sold them anyway with the hopes that they would last just long enough to get out of warranty.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Did you use the new cables that came with the power supply? Using the old cables is a big no-no.

System Name Zen4
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard Asus Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Some oem 240 AIO
Memory 2xKingston DDR5 2x16GB (Hynix M die)@6000 CL26-35-35-27
Video Card(s) Gainward Phantom 4090 (@2.82GHz .95V UV, 350W PL)
Storage WD Black SN850X
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48"
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Win11
@Durvelle27

I dont think it was the Corsair unit that killed your hard drives and pump. It was almost certainly the PSU that died that took the stuff with it.

+1

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I don't think the issue is the Corsair, it's the Antec that originally failed. Corsair units are usually very good.
Seasonics are good, but not the end all of PSUs. A PSU doesn't have to be a Seasonic to be good.

Nope - Seasonic units aren't the end-all as you said and I wasn't trying to make out that they were.
Speaking of Corsair I can only say what I'd heard before BUT that certainly doesn't make it true. Like anything else if you've heard it's good, so-so or bad I have to think you'd say as much like I did.

Another one that I will say though was good (I say that because the company got bought out) was PC Power & Cooling. Have one of their older 750W "Silencer" units from 2008 in this machine bought new and it's still going strong, no signs of bulging caps or anything that would indicate a problem with it.

Again I'm sorry the OP had this happen - Hopefully they will get something working before long.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It isn't about their products, it is about the fact that their knew the product was defective and would die, but sold them anyway with the hopes that they would last just long enough to get out of warranty.
That's pretty much speculation though. The fact of the matter is, while the number of failed units might have been higher than the industry average, 100s of 1000s if not millions of units did not fail prematurely. And for sure, it did not affect every one of the PSU models. And I never saw any reports of intentional deception or cover up (Takata airbag style).

Of course, if someone personally experiences a failed unit, that will leave a bitter taste in their mouths. But those problems with flaky caps was way back in the early to mid 2000s. No IT company can survive for decades if they continue to make inferior products that fail prematurely.

I sure am not trying to convince anyone to buy Antec supplies. I am just saying holding a grudge against an entire company for something they did 10+ years ago can result in missing out of some quality options.

I am also not going to suggest after-sales support does not, or should not influence future purchases. But that works both ways - good and bad. One of the reasons I am a HUGE fan of Gigabyte is how they treated me years ago when my "4" year old motherboard started acting up due to leaking and bulging capacitors. I called them up to complain and they sent me a replacement board and paid for the shipping of the returned board. And note there was only a 3-year warranty on the board.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's pretty much speculation though. The fact of the matter is, while the number of failed units might have been higher than the industry average, 100s of 1000s if not millions of units did not fail prematurely. And for sure, it did not affect every one of the PSU models. And I never saw any reports of intentional deception or cover up (Takata airbag style).

It isn't just a number of failed units. The SmartPower and TruePower units were actually recalled by Antec. They replaced mine even though they were 2 months out of warranty(and already been replaced once under warranty).

They knew the caps they decided to use in the units were bad. The initially tried to push the blame on CWT, but it was found out that Antec was the one that actually chose the caps to be used, CWT just assembled the units for them.

I sure am not trying to convince anyone to buy Antec supplies. I am just saying holding a grudge against an entire company for something they did 10+ years ago can result in missing out of some quality options.

Yeah, that would be a valid point if there wasn't such a good selection of alternatives. I suspect, if there wasn't a good selection of good units from other reputable companies, I'd probably would at least consider Antec again.

I am also not going to suggest after-sales support does not, or should not influence future purchases. But that works both ways - good and bad. One of the reasons I am a HUGE fan of Gigabyte is how they treated me years ago when my "4" year old motherboard started acting up due to leaking and bulging capacitors. I called them up to complain and they sent me a replacement board and paid for the shipping of the returned board. And note there was only a 3-year warranty on the board.

Ironically, Gigabyte is another company that I won't buy from again, because of their absolutely terrible after sales support. But I think this discussion has gone on enough, lets get back to helping the OP.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Going to break the rig down today and test all parts individually

I've seen more Antec PSU's fail than any other brand. I personally stopped using them because of that.
I avoid Antec entry level series.
Have to agree. Antec has not been great in the last few years. Even their upper tier stuff has been iffy.
I went with the Corsair RM750X
You'll do well with that PSU. Corsair is solid, they actively support their products and their customer service is very good.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Have to agree. Antec has not been great in the last few years. Even their upper tier stuff has been iffy.

You'll do well with that PSU. Corsair is solid, they actively support their products and their customer service is very good.

He is in troubleshooting stage. Hopefully the psu didnt kill his rig

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The SmartPower and TruePower units were actually recalled by Antec.
I have never heard of, nor can I find any evidence of any recall, either voluntary or directed. Got a link? It seems if there was one, I would have got notice for my or one of our client's TruePower units since we used quite a few back in the day and we do register our components we use in our builds.

Antec was the one that actually chose the caps to be used, CWT just assembled the units for them.
It is a common practice for companies to design and select the components to be used, then outsource the actual manufacture and assembly of those parts. So no surprise there. It is also common for companies to modify OEM products (to make them proprietary :(). Even major store brands do that so companies like Best Buy or Sam's Warehouse have their own slightly different model to sell. I actually see that as a gimmick so they can avoid any "price matching" guarantees since those marketing schemes typically require the exact same model number.

But, that is for another discussion too.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Let's wait for @Durvelle27 Durvetroubleshooting results, hopefully the old and new psu didn't smoke his parts.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

Antecs upper tier stuff is pretty much re-branded seasonic units. If anything they seem to be late to market by 12-24 months against their competition and over priced. I never had an issue with their lower end units but I don't really keep up what their low end looks like now. Their antec ne-eco 400w (identical to the beloved corsair cx400) was always well priced back in the day and the 380w (delta OEM version) was reliable. The basiq line was made as a desktop replacement and was an improvement over the typical acer, dell, hp shipped PSU. If you were running a gaming PC with a power hungry gpu and a basiq psu, that was more of a you problem.

In fact I have an antec neo eco 400w that is ten years strong.