• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is a Hamilton Beach TrueAir air purifier sufficient to prevent dust buildup in my PC, or should I also get extra case fans?

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I recall a story that I have probably told here before of a probe launched from a submarine by inflating with CO2; the electronics kept failing due to the static build up due to the inflating gas. I also recall the brutal lightening that can develop in the plume of a volcano. I think the problem is worse in a dry climate and when dust is present (the very reason we are blasting the board in the first place). I believe sandstorms can also be an issue (see the static on the helicopter blades).

The ESD version of the DataVac is probably there for good reason.

I also don't worry about over reving the fans and haven't had a problem there either, but my equipment is ancient and so I can afford to be a little blase; a thing I could not do with customers equipment.

Attachments

• Volcanic-Lightning.jpg
    Volcanic-Lightning.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DataVac ESD.jpg
    DataVac ESD.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 28
  • helicopter.jpg
    helicopter.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I recall a story that I have probably told here before of a probe launched from a submarine by inflating with CO2; the electronics kept failing due to the static build up due to the inflating gas. I also recall the brutal lightening that can develop in the plume of a volcano. I think the problem is worse in a dry climate and when dust is present (the very reason we are blasting the board in the first place). I believe sandstorms can also be an issue (see the static on the helicopter blades).

I also don't worry about over reving the fans and haven't had a problem there either, but my equipment is ancient and so I can afford to be a little blase; a thing I could not do with customers equipment.
Those are extreme situations. Then average person is never going to encounter a situation like that, even in dry conditions. PC's are grounded devices and as such any static build up will be quickly and effectively discharged through the ground plane.

While I would not call ESD type blowers "snake-oil", the effect they provide is so minimal as to be effectively insignificant.

Memory 16GB DDR3
I tend to blast out my PC when not connected (not grounded), so maybe I should leave it plugged in?

I suspect that might actually aggravate the situation.

Last edited:
I tend to blast out my PC when not connected (not grounded), so maybe I should leave it plugged in?
Not really. Any static build up will remain in the chassis until discharged. So as long as you carry/handle the PC by the case and not touch anything inside until you can plug it in and power cycle it, you'll be fine.
Not really. Static isn't the raving monster many make it out to be. Once you understand it and know how it works, it's just a thing to be cautious of and treat with the proper respect.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Static isn't the raving monster many make it out to be. Once you understand it and know how it works, it's just a thing to be cautious of and treat with the proper respect.

Mainly because most circuits have diode protection across the inputs and outputs; I recall a story in Horowitz and Hill where they stopped using a certain chip because it was so sensitive to destruction by static.

I'm going to Copy&Paste from another post I made with an updated listing;

You need a blower...
The following is the one I have;

https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-MECO-High-Pressure-Computer-Keyboard/dp/B082XR3987

However, these are good models too;

https://www.amazon.com/Dusters-Electric-Electronics-Environmental-Alternative/dp/B0BB6ZZ66B

Something similar to one of these, used once a month, will work wonders.
Thanks! I’ll look into all of those. So it’d be best to clean it once a month. I’ll do that for sure.

Although I have never had a problem, I worry about electrostatic discharge when used on electronics.
Yeah, I’m also worried about ESD as well, especially since I already may have damaged my parts by using a microfiber cloth and a brush that I thought was antistatic but was not. Hopefully it’s okay though since I don’t directly touch any of the parts, just the top of the GPU, my fans, and the bottom of my case.

I've never had that problem.
I’m definitely worried already because of that microfiber cloth and brush issue I mentioned earlier, but it’s good to hear it really isn’t a problem for most people and all.

Those are e de tiniest interesting cases for sure. It’s good that my climate at least isn’t dry and I don’t get any sandstorms, and I’ll be sure to clean my room regularly to get rid of as much dust as possible. I’ll look into the ESD DataVac then. I’m kind of concerned about over reviving my fans, but I’ll just hold them down and all.

Those are extreme situations. Then average person is never going to encounter a situation like that, even in dry conditions. PC's are grounded devices and as such any static build up will be quickly and effectively discharged through the ground plane.

While I would not call ESD type blowers "snake-oil", the effect they provide is so minimal as to be effectively insignificant.
That makes sense, so those aren’t really necessary. I am pretty paranoid though, so it’ll be good for peace of mind, at least. I use an antistatic wristband and an antistatic mat under my feet since I’m working on a carpet, so hopefully that’s good enough.

Is it best to ground my PC? I also heard it’s best to blast out my PC outside so the dust doesn’t just go back in, so it’d definitely be difficult to connect it innthat case.

Mainly because most circuits have diode protection across the inputs and outputs; I recall a story in Horowitz and Hill where they stopped using a certain chip because it was so sensitive to destruction by static.
it’s good they’ve advanced enough that there’s decent protection and all, at least. That’s definitely an intriguing case as well, but I hope these chips are more durable nowadays. Thanks!

Memory 16GB DDR3
Is it best to ground my PC?

I would recommend against grounding while blasting; but who am I to say.

I also heard it’s best to blast out my PC outside

A dirty PC can make a lot of dust and one really wants to blast it outside.

I’m kind of concerned about over reviving my fans, but I’ll just hold them down and all.

I've never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.

I would recommend against grounding while blasting; but who am I to say.

A dirty PC can make a lot of dust and one really wants to blast it outside.

I've never had a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Oh okay I see. I definitely won’t ground it then in that case and I’ll make sure I blast it outside so it doesn’t all get in my room and all. As for the fans, is the safest way to keep tben from breaking holding them down with a finger since I have to blast them to remove dust and all?

Memory 16GB DDR3
I sometimes use a paint brush to lossen dirt on a fan.