1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is E3 finished?

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Jul 31, 2006.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    For the past 12 years, gamers and game makers have met under one big convention- E3. And at E3, the game makers showed all the next generation stuff they were doing, and the gamers showed each other their new elf costumes. Unfortunately, the event might not be worth going to anymore. All major exhibitors have pulled their support from E3, prompting game makers to cancel their plans for the convention. Some people believe that E3 is dead, and others believe that it will come back stronger then ever. Regardless, E3 as we know it is gone. The Entertainment Software Association, who hosts E3, is going to make an announcement today in an attempt to "add gloss to this catastrophe".

Source: Next Generation

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess the question is Why? The CE market has only grown larger and larger every year.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. sattard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nooooo!!! Do this means that all those beautiful girls that used to be there will be lost forever???!! :eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assure you, there is no shortage of shady jobs to sell your body at in the world.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. josechow New Member

Thanks Received:
    It just goes to show that everyone is infatuated with the idea of saving or making a ton of money. I blame both sides, big game industry and E3.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    ::cries::

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Last time I went to one of these shows, it was around 1996-1997, & it was the COMDEX in Atlanta Ga., & my boss sent me to it (because we got free tickets etc. offered our way, HUGE logistics firm for frozen foods shipment & distribution nationwide).

It was awesome & you DID see things you could use from new compilers coming out for instance, & new things in them!

(As, imo @ least, it was a fairly "breakthru time" in software & OS designs imo, transitions from 16-bit -> 32-bit were completing & compilers especially advancing bigtime)

E.G.-> VB4-> VB5, was a BIG leap imo @ least & what I took home to that company & they ended up implementing it once I figured out how to talk to their As/400 via PC's using Active Document technology (of which today imo @ least, ASP.NET got a LOT from).

* Nowadays, though, many who attend these are saying in essence, that it is not so much about techno-breakthrus, but more on selling already existing product lines & technology, not as much of a showcase for truly, or potentially, NEW stuff!

APK

P.S.=> Maybe it's the same w/ gaming ... too much emphasis on "flash & technology", not so much on a NEW type of gaming paradigm or plot in games (this varies by opinion though)... imo, the last great "gaming breakthru" was by IDSoftware in their Wolf3d game, it being the first "FPS" example (first person shooter)... apk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    E3 should be heald in europe and should be primarily for the fans not the media thats 2 reasons why its failing and the big developers know this fan feedback is a heck of a lot more important that media feedback

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah in europe that would rule.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    In Portugal would be a great idea :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Europe has a smaller game industry than north America, so no point. I say good riddens, consoles are going to die with the direction Sony and EA are taking games.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok listen, E3 Is NOT over! Its just downsized from what ive been hearing. All this speculation about E3 being completely over is just a rumor. It was started by some news resource called next-gen. I have full belief that E3 will not be over becuase it overs alot of Advertising for new game titles and systems.

10 Year Member at TPU