• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it illegal to connect to an unsecured network?

John Phoenix

I brought my laptop over to my Mothers today when I went to cut her grass. She has a PC that's someone gave her but she hasn't used it yet cus it needs a new hard drive.

I was surprised to find someone nearby had an unsecured connection. So I connected my laptop to it for a few minutes just to show Mom what kinds of things she could use the internet for.

Is this illegal? If not, does it cause any harm to the users account?

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Stealing is illegal, whether it be Wifi, cable TV, or someone's iPod.

John Phoenix

I see. Thanks.. I just thought it was illegal if they had a password and you hacked it.. otherwise, I thought if they didn't have a password set on purpose.. it was like they were saying they don't care if you use their account.

I have used free accounts from hospitals and places like that. There is even a network of people who will open their network to the public and in exchange they advertise their locations so users can find them to share their connection.. sadly there are none of this group in my area.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yep, illegal, and your MAC ID will be stored in the wireless router, so there's no avoiding prosecution, should the WiFi owner's want to go after you.

My iPod Touch does it automatically, without asking me. I can travel from home to the hospital(5KMs), without any real perceivable connection loss...

If the owner of the connection posts signs saying you can access thier conenction, then it's perfectly legal(depndning on who the owner is), but to tap into someone's home is not, 99.99% of the time.

theonedub

habe fidem
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
I can see where you were going, but think of it this way: if someone left their car unlocked, keys in the ignition with the car running, isn't it still illegal to take the car?

Its not like the police will come knocking on your door, and the person who own the service may not ever know whats going on, but still.

Black Haru

Staff member
A: never again source Wikipedia (even if its right go to the bottom of the page and source from one of the links)

B: while piggybacking is technically illegal, if they have no password than they are legally responsible for any actions you take while on their account. (they are as liable as you)

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
He asked if it was illegal not immoral and it actually depends on the laws in your country as some have laws covering at some dont!

John Phoenix

Check this out.. new york Rocks.. ( from the Wikipedia page):

"New York law is the most permissive.[1] The statute against unauthorized access only applies when the network "is equipped or programmed with any device or coding system, a function of which is to prevent the unauthorized use of said computer or computer system".[35][36][37][38]

In other words, the use of a network would only be considered unauthorized and illegal if the network owner had enabled encryption or password protection and the user bypassed this protection, or when the owner has explicitly given notice that use of the network is prohibited, either orally or in writing.

[1][39][40] Westchester County passed a law, taking effect in October 2006, that prohibits commercial networks from being operated without a firewall, SSID broadcasting disabled, and a non-default SSID, in an effort to fight identity theft. Businesses that do not secure their networks in this way face a $500 fine. The law has been criticized as being ineffectual against actual identity thieves and punishing businesses like coffee houses for normal business practices"

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
the legality of using any unsecured wireless network is very uncertain at the moment.

In Germany it is now illegal to have an unsecured wifi network (yes that right - if i was to connect to an unsecure network and download movies/music etc....the owner of the wifi is responsible even if there is outright proof that he did not perform the download)

Quote from BBC news:

German citizens are responsible for the security of their own private wireless connections, a court has ruled.

The ruling comes after a musician sued the owner of a network connection that had been used to illegally download and file-share music.

The owner had proof that the householder was on holiday at the time but the court ruled that the network should have been password-protected.

In the UK, the law currently states that it is not illegal to connect to an unsecured wireless LAN, however it is illegal to use someone elses bandwidth or services without their consent. (as a side note for anyone who runs an ftp service or allows inbound connections, ALWAYS put a login banner stating that access is only for authorised users, this is legally binding and can help during disputes) /Quote

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The only time this is not illegal is if the owner of the WiFi network purposely left it open for anyone to use, AKA created a hotspot.

However, in most cases in neighborhoods, the WiFi is left unsecure out of ignorance of how to secure it, and not so that anyone can access it.

Personally, I'd try to find who the WiFi belongs to, let them know that they are leaving themselves open for anyone to steal their internet, then offer to secure it for them for free in exchange for letting you use it.

I can see where you were going, but think of it this way: if someone left their car unlocked, keys in the ignition with the car running, isn't it still illegal to take the car?

Its not like the police will come knocking on your door, and the person who own the service may not ever know whats going on, but still.

I like the anology of a car with the gas cap left open. It is still illegal to steal the gas.

John Phoenix

However, in most cases in neighborhoods, the WiFi is left unsecure out of ignorance of how to secure it, and not so that anyone can access it.

Personally, I'd try to find who the WiFi belongs to, let them know that they are leaving themselves open for anyone to steal their internet, then offer to secure it for them for free in exchange for letting you use it.

LOL That's Funny.. I could do this i'm sure but how would I go about finding this person? The signal was only one bar but stayed stable the whole time.. about 20 minutes.

Also, even though my MAC address is stored in this persons machine, how could he access it and how does that in turn lead back to me?

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
no no they're all wrong. It's only illegal if they catch you ;). i connected to my neighbors net from my aunts for like 3 months all summer. They found out, secured with WEP, then you download a program to get around that and they're dumbfounded cause they think they're safe with the security, but join a diff Workgroup and they'll probly never find you. didn't find me :D. The majority of people are computer illiterate compared to us, let alone knowing about networking.

theonedub

habe fidem
LOL That's Funny.. I could do this i'm sure but how would I go about finding this person? The signal was only one bar but stayed stable the whole time.. about 20 minutes.

Also, even though my MAC address is stored in this persons machine, how could he access it and how does that in turn lead back to me?

If he/she is running an unsecured wifi network, I would be 99% sure they are incapable of using any of that information to find you :laugh: The MAC address is basically the ID to your wifi device, but they are easily manipulated. I would not worry.

System Name Champ's 1440P Rig
Processor Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 Mhz 4x4 Blue Ram
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB/RAID 0 Western Digital Blue 1 TB HDDs
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Power Supply Corsair CX850M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard TT eSports Poseidon
Software Windows 10
no no they're all wrong. It's only illegal if they catch you ;). i connected to my neighbors net from my aunts for like 3 months all summer. They found out, secured with WEP, then you download a program to get around that and they're dumbfounded cause they think they're safe with the security, but join a diff Workgroup and they'll probly never find you. didn't find me :D. The majority of people are computer illiterate compared to us, let alone knowing about networking.

Shame on you!!!!, but I like the way you think

cadaveca

My name is Dave
MAC ID is stored in the Router's IP tables. Each network device is assigned an IP, based on the MAC ID.

Even if they didn't know how to access it, the ISP is guarantteed to know how. Most routers keep this info too...if they do not know how to access that stuff, you can guarantee that info will eb there forever, even if the power is removed.

It's then also possible to see what MAC conencted to what addresses, so they can figure out if you've accessed a potentially illegal site.

In Canada, it's 100% illegal, unless explicity given permission.

Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10

That's very true. You blanked with the wrong network if they could

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
if you are unsure if it is illegal you can google your state and federal enforcement offices to find out.

Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case Antec P100
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10

John Phoenix

If he/she is running an unsecured wifi network, I would be 99% sure they are incapable of using any of that information to find you :laugh: The MAC address is basically the ID to your wifi device, but they are easily manipulated. I would not worry.

Thanks.. I like that answer.. o.k. I won't worry.

You know it's sad that wifi isn't cheaper.. I already pay for a home connection.. seems it should come standard with free wifi that's available anywhere. Cheapest I found it was 60 bucks.

There is a free wireless service I read about but it uses bluetooth.. I don't understand it.. I don't have any bluetooth devices.. but they say its free but it's limited type of access.

http://www.myfreewirelessisp.com/

If I understood it, and could use it, I would at least give it a try. Can someone look at this and explain it to me please so I will understand what it is they are offering?

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Thanks.. I like that answer.. o.k. I won't worry.

You know it's sad that wifi isn't cheaper.. I already pay for a home connection.. seems it should come standard with free wifi that's available anywhere. Cheapest I found it was 60 bucks.

There is a free wireless service I read about but it uses bluetooth.. I don't understand it.. I don't have any bluetooth devices.. but they say its free but it's limited type of access.

http://www.myfreewirelessisp.com/

If I understood it, and could use it, I would at least give it a try. Can someone look at this and explain it to me please so I will understand what it is they are offering?

uh, that site does not look legit at all. i would recommend staying away.

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Edit: this was directed at a post that has since disappeared, referring to someone walking into a house with an open front door being illegal.....

Not strictly true:

1. There is no breaking - just entering.
2. I would just say "Oops sorry, I thought this was the post office - my bad"

The burden of malicious intent still rests with the prosecution (in the UK)

As another side note - If i was to walk into a house through an open front door, and fall through a hole in the floor - I can sue the owner for damages under health and safety law.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
laws are different around the globe obviously. which is why he should simply call up the authorites and ask them if he is that concerned. afterall, we at TPU are not lawyers (at least i dont think anyone here is.)

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
In St. Petersburg, 2005, Benjamin Smith III was arrested and charged with "unauthorized access to a computer network", a third-degree felony in the state of Florida, after using a resident's wireless network from a car parked outside

Yes in most places around the US it is illegal, but the chances of being caught if ur using it from a neighboring house and not being a creeper out in the street r pretty slim to none.

And whoever was saying that "They haz ur MAC address FOREVAAAAAAAR" im not sure what kind of router you have but ur wrong.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And whoever was saying that "They haz ur MAC address FOREVAAAAAAAR" im not sure what kind of router you have but ur wrong.

If you say so...but let me ask you, have you worked for an ISP? If the router was provided by an ISP. I can guarantee thier firmware keeps track(unless you change settings), and even better, the provisioning tables within the ISP's records keep track...

D-link modems, for one, keep IP/MAC logs until the internal memory is full, and then write over old entries(although this can be turned off). However, because most router's don't get many connections on the LAN side, they hardly ever re-write this bit of memory.

The issue at hand is that the OP has no way of knowing what type of router, or even where the rotuer is located, so it must be considered more than possible...In fact, I can pull out any of my older gateways form teh past 10 years(I have 6 now), and each and every one of them has full listings, and my current MediaShow gateway has no way to remove these listings either.

FYI, I'm always also one of the first to get new services from my provider. That bandwidth you see in my sig is only that low due to having 6 PVR's on my connection, and they are "always on" type STB's(they are always on the ensure TV works the moment you "turn on" the box). I challenge you to find another Telus ADSL customer anywhere in Canada with the same speeds...because it's only available in my immediate neighbourhood.

Last edited: