• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
So, let's get this straight: The people have been double "stuffed"? Firstly, because alot of those older games have horrible system stuffing Securom, including some of Microsoft's own games. And secondly, that very same DRM is now deemed a security risk!

"So stuff you customers, if you accept our W10 upgrade offer (which we will hard pressure you with popups daily reminding you to upgrade and telling you you're running out of time), kiss your old games goodbye...hope you enjoyed them while you could."

Pretty much sums it up?

EDIT: @FordGT90Concept the developer/publisher updating is nice in theory, but some fair number will never be updated due to non-existent studios or publishers like EA that can't be bothered with a game after a year.

There are also several games actually on Steam that still have Securom that has never been removed (so much for Steam's assertion that their service is the only DRM).
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam

Digital-only securom works in Windows 10. It's the old CD kind that doesn't. When's the last time steam sent you a cd?

PS: My linux stint ended in tragedy. Rome 2 ate a save game and I had no backups, so I ragequit it and am back on Windows 10.

...with protest, but still.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Digital-only securom works in Windows 10. It's the old CD kind that doesn't. When's the last time steam sent you a cd?

PS: My linux stint ended in tragedy. Rome 2 ate a save game and I had no backups, so I ragequit it and am back on Windows 10.

...with protest, but still.

Um, Steam is but one place i play games from. I and many people still have older cd/dvd games, many with actual drm, and thats what article @Ahhzz provided was about, with W10 not allowing them because of the two forms of drm listed.

My further point with the link provided is people should not be so smug about Steam/Origin, etc, and assume that their service is the only drm, because it's not. So, before you discount the drm in Steam as "digital", do your research on some more drm sites as I have. It makes no difference.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Um, Steam is but one place i play games from. I and many people still have older cd/dvd games, many with actual drm, and thats what article @Ahhzz provided was about, with W10 not allowing them because of the two forms of drm listed.

My further point with the link provided is people should not be so smug about Steam/Origin, etc, and assume that their service is the only drm, because it's not. So, before you discount the drm in Steam as "digital", do your research on some more drm sites as I have. It makes no difference.

I did not mean it is not an issue (though obviously no-cd patches work), just pointing out Steam/digital securom is not the same thing.

I too have a ton of "collectors edition" games that come with cds with safedisc or Securom or starforce (blech). I can crack them but since when should we be forced to borderline piracy to play our own rightfully bought games?