• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is it too late to invest on mining?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
You might as well be talking about America's historic gold rush at this point.
Investing in that gold rush NOW would actually make more sense then your poorly thought out and researched piece of idiocy.

And I have FREE electricity in effect here and it's still no where near worth ANY effort and I know this because I have mining software and try every now and again, just to see.

So no run away from your brain, put the wallet down, slap yourself, take up another hobby and do not continue with this plan , YOU will regret it.
"What do you mean? I've heard there was gold in them hills and I'm headed that way, even though it's the year 2022 now instead of it being the year 1849. I may be a bit late to the party but I'll get there!!!"

That's about what bitcoin mining is these days if considering it, long gone and dried up with whomever was going to make a fortune off of it having done so already, these same lucky ones also having established alot of manipulative control along the way too.
It's way too little, way too late to be anything now for anyone wanting to get started in it.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
it makes a profit about 4dollars/day,
For that money you might as well get some ripped clothing and sit on a busy street and beg for money.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Kinda. If you mine the coins, you have to pay as it's income even if your just holding and it's the value at which it was mined at.

It kinda makes sense that mining profits is considered income as that is exactly what it is, it might not be profit (elec. fees and whatnot) but it is income. Being taxed again on sale is shitty tho, almost feels like an oversight given you can track what amount of coins were mined and what were purchased.

ir_cow

Staff member
stupid question: how does the state know that you mined a coin (whatever coin) unless you tell them? and why would you? if you convert it to fiat that's another story.
The Gov can't tell what you mined, that's the whole point of crypto to be removed from the central bank and government. Unless you can buy goods with the coins you mine (or traded for), you at some point need to turn it into cash and that is where the government starts asking questions. There are work around, but 100% not legal in the united states. Not going to comment further. I'm sure if you do enough reading, something will work out to avoid taxes.

• Wow
Reactions: Lei

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
For that money you might as well get some ripped clothing and sit on a busy street and beg for money.
I bet you earn more income that way and no tax :respect:

System Name Galaxy Tab S8+
Processor Snapdragon 8 gen 1 SOC
Cooling passive
Memory 8 GB
Storage 256 GB + 512 GB SD
Display(s) 2.800 x 1.752 Super AMOLED
Power Supply 10.090 mAh
Software Android 12

Or collect bottles for the deposit - could be quite hard territory though based on how many people I see doing this already in my region.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
it's income if you beg too, if you are good enough. Would be considered "gifting."

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
it's income if you beg too, if you are good enough. Would be considered "gifting."
I hope everyone earns money with a job he enjoys. Not mining or begging

Today a guy in supermarket asked the seller: where's sugar?
Seller asked me to show him.
I went and took the guy to the shelf of sugar.
Then he said: can you buy me these beers?

Then he said: don't you know me? Last year we were talking about....

I got the beer for him, the seller asked: why are you paying?

I told the guy: the way you asked me is ..... aggressive. I help people randomly, but asking me directly to buy you beer?!

Near the sugar shelf he said: buy me the whole box, you have money.

I didn't really like his attitude. Astonished. Last year I just bought some ice cream for him cause he was sitting under the sun and I just offered a conversation.

Today I told him: I would have bought you beer if you wouldn't ask for it. You could say: let's have beer. I'd probably say : ok, I pay for it. But this way you're directly asking is not right.

Anyway, I just want to mention just a few years ago I weighted 52kg (114 lbs) and I was washing my hair/dishes/clothes with the same shampoo I'd found on the discount shelf. And today I didn't remember that this guy is the same guy from last year. Last year I didn't treat him ice cream because of his finances. I just got an ice cream to talk about transistors and why birds' feathers are blue and green but mammals fur is brown and blond

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Indeed tax free as well
Just one hour at lunch daily would be more lucrative than cypto mining :laugh:

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I hope everyone earns money with a job he enjoys. Not mining or begging
Me too.

Weird fact though, when I was mining, I genuinely enjoyed doing it. Setting up the hardware and monitoring infrastructure was fun. Not something I'd do again, but was fun in it's own weird way.

Indeed tax free as well
As I said earlier, depends how good you are at it. Almost academic, I know, but technicalities amuse me. Humor me.

readthis

I always tell people its a giant ponzi scheme. However, every 3-4 years is this cycle of a massive crash. You buy low, wait a few years and sell high. Ride the train! Its easy to make a few thousand, but also just as easy to lose that amount overnight.

The big problem here in America is since 2018 it is treated as taxable income even if you don't "cash out". It also is taxed at the value it was when you bought cytro (or mined it). So come tax time this year, those who dropped 60K on one BTC will be paying taxes for 60K value, not the 17K it is at right now.
wow that is insane!

Humor Boomer GIF

But yes like was said. Mining is dead. There's some altcoins that still have some small value but outside of hobbyist stuff you're better off buying and staking/hodl'ing.

Tax wise there's no taxes to pay until you sell/convert. And taxes are typically cheaper if you hold longer than a year and hit the long term cap gains category. An0m is wrong in his example of paying taxes on a losing investment as you're only taxed on gains, you actually deduct loses from your taxes. It's now taxed like your typical stock investments as it should be. There's crypto ira's slowly popping up (pre crash, haven't looked into it in awhile now) that would help with taxes but limit your liquidity. There's also off shore exchanges that you can dabble in at your own risk.

WAIT, what if i am buying coins from canada, to whom shall I pay taxes to?

Investing in that gold rush NOW would actually make more sense then your poorly thought out and researched piece of idiocy.

And I have FREE electricity in effect here and it's still no where near worth ANY effort and I know this because I have mining software and try every now and again, just to see.

So no run away from your brain, put the wallet down, slap yourself, take up another hobby and do not continue with this plan , YOU will regret it.
I agree with you, but I am still quite confused as I am very new to this, if you dont mind could you share your learning experience on mining? like what books/youtube/forums..etc have you used to get to where you are right now? so newbies like me could have some sort of guided tutorials.
and also whats the difference between mining now and investing?
also just curious about your opinion,from 1-10, how likely do u think bitcoin will appreciate 1.5-2 times its worth today?
thanks!

that is true if I considered mining as my main job, I am just trying to find a way to increase my passive income, and in 20 or 30 years when i am mid 40, i could live like an old man in these nursing home with plenty money, the difference is, I have the body to enjoy

The Gov can't tell what you mined, that's the whole point of crypto to be removed from the central bank and government. Unless you can buy goods with the coins you mine (or traded for), you at some point need to turn it into cash and that is where the government starts asking questions. There are work around, but 100% not legal in the united states. Not going to comment further. I'm sure if you do enough reading, something will work out to avoid taxes.
Could i have your contact info to private chat? I want to learn from you sensei.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
wow that is insane!

WAIT, what if i am buying coins from canada, to whom shall I pay taxes to?

I agree with you, but I am still quite confused as I am very new to this, if you dont mind could you share your learning experience on mining? like what books/youtube/forums..etc have you used to get to where you are right now? so newbies like me could have some sort of guided tutorials.
and also whats the difference between mining now and investing?
also just curious about your opinion,from 1-10, how likely do u think bitcoin will appreciate 1.5-2 times its worth today?
thanks!

that is true if I considered mining as my main job, I am just trying to find a way to increase my passive income, and in 20 or 30 years when i am mid 40, i could live like an old man in these nursing home with plenty money, the difference is, I have the body to enjoy

Could i have your contact info to private chat? I want to learn from you sensei.
I think over three to five years the outlook on Bitcoin is promising but there's no way to Know.
I will look at adding some information later after work so check back..
But coinbase is a good place to start for information on many coins, there viability etc, coins only gain worth with utility and only gain utility with development so look at what the Dev team is trying to achieve now and in the future.

Err aim for something better than an old people's home at mid forties with money though , jusf saying :).

69er miner

Hi everyone, these two days I have watched a lot of youtube and reddit forums educating myself about bitcoin and mining, and now I have decided to actually drain dimes from my wallet,
so i saw this gaming laptop MSI GP66, i7, 16gb, 65w, with RTX3070 and its own dedicated 8gb, for 1399cad on bestbuy, a youtube from june 2022 tested this laptop, it makes a profit about 4dollars/day, however the power it was working in the video was not given, I know 140w and 65w would make a difference, but how big is that difference?
I know I am carrying the risk of bitcoin or crpto price dropping, therefore here i am asking you smart guys opinions, is it a good time to purchase this laptop for mining? or should i look for other ways to get passive income?
heres few thing i have taken into consideration:
1: laptop deflation rate
2: electricity bill
3: GPU wear/tear
since i am not sure about how much difference in power would impact on my mining speed, i will just say i could earn 4CAD/day at most, therefore in order to make a return on invest, it takes at least 1400/4=350 days, the deflation of my laptop after 350 days would probably be 2/3 of its original price, therefore if i sell the website after 350 days, i will earn 1/3 of the laptop price which is 1400cad/3=433cad. if you guys disagree with my calculation, feel absolutely free to speak out your thoughts!
do you guys think its a good investment? or you have a smarter idea to invest that 1400 dollars?
Mining can be worth it but it does depend on many factors that U.K. out market relate to energy cost, hardware cost vs profits made. If you are fortunate enough to run renewable energy or have low energy costs then yes there is a break even point, and even a profit margin to be made. You have to be very diligent in your calculations but there are many great YouTube videos that explain cost vs profits. Vosk coin is an excellent channel. He’s operating at about 7 dollar profit per rig per day and looking into building a solar array in the near future.

Bitboyoo

If you have dirt cheap electricity or a renewable setup then it certainly could be

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro

Yeah, if you really want to spend money, get into computers and/or get married, have a family. :laugh:

Blitzy

You could invest in mining stocks to dip your toes into mining pools so to speak

Bitboyoo

Not if you have low electricity prices and if you already use some form of renewables you could mine quite cheaply especially before the next bitcoin halving

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Not if you have low electricity prices and if you already use some form of renewables you could mine quite cheaply especially before the next bitcoin halving
No sir the cost of setup is beyond ROI ranges, that makes sense.

You need a ASIC for bitcoin too they're not cheap.

My electricity is effectively free to me I don't mine though not worth the hardware costs IMHO.

electrowind

While it's true that low electricity prices and the use of renewable energy sources can make mining cryptocurrencies cheaper, it's important to consider the overall cost of setup and maintenance, including the cost of hardware, cooling, and space. Additionally, the market value of cryptocurrencies can be volatile and unpredictable, which can affect the profitability of mining.

Investing in ASICs for Bitcoin mining can be expensive, and it's important to consider the ROI before making a decision. Other cryptocurrencies may have lower hardware requirements, but again, it's important to consider the profitability and risks involved.

Overall, it's up to each individual to weigh the costs and benefits of cryptocurrency mining and decide if it's worth it for them.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I always tell people its a giant ponzi scheme. However, every 3-4 years is this cycle of a massive crash. You buy low, wait a few years and sell high. Ride the train! Its easy to make a few thousand, but also just as easy to lose that amount overnight.

The big problem here in America is since 2018 it is treated as taxable income even if you don't "cash out". It also is taxed at the value it was when you bought cytro (or mined it). So come tax time this year, those who dropped 60K on one BTC will be paying taxes for 60K value, not the 17K it is at right now.
Well that is not accurate at all. You do not pay any tax on crypto until you realize gains/losses. Just like trading stock, homes, or any other commodity. I don't know where you read that but it is completely wrong. And the person that bought 1 BTC for $60K and sold it for $17K would show a LOSS of $43k. Also if you bought at $300 and sold at $60k you would report $59,700 in capital gains.

ir_cow

Staff member
@ZenZimZaliben got it from the Tax man in 2017 when US government made the change. Its stupid and IF was treated like stocks, that would be so much nicer.

Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
@ZenZimZaliben got it from the Tax man in 2017 when US government made the change. Its stupid and IF was treated like stocks, that would be so much nicer.
Your tax man is mistaken. - "In the United States, unrealized gains on cryptocurrency and other assets are not subject to tax. You will pay taxes when you realize your gains by disposing of your cryptocurrency. Examples of disposals include selling your crypto, trading your crypto for another crypto, and using your crypto to make a purchase."

Good news for hodlers

If you’re holding crypto, there’s no immediate gain or loss, so the crypto is not taxed. Tax is only incurred when you sell the asset, and you subsequently receive either cash or units of another cryptocurrency: At this point, you have “realized” the gains, and you have a taxable event.

ir_cow

Staff member
@ZenZimZaliben . Who do you trust, the government tax people or coinbase that just wants a cut? Don't forget if you sell before 2 years its 25% taxable on the profit :)

It could very well have changed since the law was put in place. I haven't turned cryto into cash for a number of years now. Why even deal with US banks and US exchanges... Oh wait its illegal to hide banks and transactions from the US government when it come to taxes.

Last edited:
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
So you just don't want to admit that your "Tax Man" is BS and that you really have no idea how crypto is taxed?

Skip down for the interesting part - "https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/income/investments/cryptocurrency-and-your-taxes/"

Buying crypto

There are no tax implications for buying crypto. However, for your records, you’ll want to know your purchase price to avoid paying unnecessary taxes down the line. Here’s where on-chain and off-chain transactions matter.

OR better yet. Show me a source that states Crypto is taxed on unrealized gains....