1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my CPU or Motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vaxon, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Vaxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, so I found this old internet card and my pc needed one because I have had past problems with it. So I put the card in the PCI slot and I turn my computer on and I hear a shock noise. So I am not sure if my mobo or cpu is fried.
    • I tried a different power supply and no screen turns on.
    • I have tried a different moniter, nothing happened.
    • My 2 pc fans turn on as well as my GPU fans but my CPU Fan/ Heatsink doesn't.
    • Also the harddrive light turns on.
    • Harddrive is working ( I think, it gets hot. )
    • When I press the power button the fans turn on, but I cannot turn off the pc.
    • I checked my CPU socket to see if there is any burn marks from the shock, nothing.
    • I took out my mobo to see if any burn marks, nothing.
    • I have tried a different CPU fan, but it doesn't turn off.
    • I don't have an extra amd pc to test to see if my cpu is working.
    I did order a new mobo and it's shipping right now, but I just wanna know what to be expected I hope my cpu isn't the problem :/

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well I would say that is a pretty good guess with the mobo . I hope it is not your CPU...ugggg.
    what are the sytems specs?
    Welcome to TPU you came to a good place.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Vaxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU: AMD Phoenom II X4
    GPU: Saffire Radeon HD 7870
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    RAM: G. Skill ram (6GB)
    PSU: TX 650W Corsair
    Thanks! It does seem like a nice place.

4. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I'd suggest resetting the BIOS if you haven't already. Unplug power from the back, then pull the CR2032 button battery from the board for about 10 minutes. Pop it back in, plug in the power and see if she POSTs.
    Unfortunately, it can be difficult to tell if it's CPU or motherboard.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    WELCOME, and good luck. In my extra special opinion, I think you are correct that the Motherboard took the hit. BTW, I would suggest not doing what you did, again. :p

NIC's are cheap, get a new one. :D

6. Vaxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Done, but nothing new unfortunately :(.

xvi says thanks.
  7. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I was afraid not. When it's on with the fans going crazy, if you hold the power button for ~5 seconds, does it shut down on its own?

Also, do you have a speaker hooked up to it?
    If you haven't already, it might be worth a shot pulling the video card and memory and seeing if you get a beep code with those removed. If so, mobo and proc could be okay.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Vaxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    No the power does not turn off I have to flip the PSU switch :(
    Also, is the pc speaker the small 1" plug in with a black circle thing? If so then yes it's plugged in my F_Panel and I haven't heard any beeps.

9. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I would say the motherboard. I say that because I too did this years ago. Not with an ethernet card but with a sound card. I forget exactly HOW I did it, but it happened. Replaced the mobo and everything worked like a charm.

My advice when replacing: Think ahead. Are you gonna wanna upgrade in the future, or no?...

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    AM3+ is being discontinued according to recent rumours/AMD slides. Even given that I would reccomend getting a 970/990 mobo just so you have as many features as possible.

11. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Are they going back to the strait socket AM3?

12. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    From what I saw they are going towards exclusively APU's, and using FM2 and other similar sockets in the future (FM3?).

13. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I gotcha. Will keep my eyes peeled for that. Guess I am a little behind. O.O

14. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    the

sadly, the new intel CPU's are might fine!... (meaning AMD's cpu's are grinding to a halt... only when AMD can make 16nm CPU's will order be restored to the market/universe lol, i say AMD should have 16nm chips in about 4-5 years cause money is tight at AMD..
    the cheap chips g3420 dual etc are acceptable, but the 4570 quad is the common wisdom for "gaming" with a powerful card...(a card that is 5-6 times the price of the g3420)...

i use a fx 8350, but my use of intel cpus in my MythTV (hobby lol) (linux) build has amazed me at the low power for intel's recent chips compared to AMD... (AMD takes at least twice the power at idle)

TL;DR... think about intel for your new computer....

15. Vaxon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope, I don't have any more money to buy a CPU so I hope it's just the Mobo.
    Cross your fingers. :)

16. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I use to side with AMD (still somewhat do) not because of power though. If I wanted it to come down to numbers and raw power I would go intel. However when it comes down to money I have always gone with AMD. Simply because I am not loaded. NOTE: That only applies to processors. When it comes to video I am Nvidia all the way haha

17. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a mobo to test? If not then here is your "worst case":

You order a mobo from most likely Newegg, it arrives and you install it only to find that it was your CPU that is bad. Well you can send that mobo back and request a regular refund. In worst case they will charge something like a %10 restocking fee. I have sent things back though and never been charged it. Hell, I had a fan once that wasn't what I thought it was going to be so I contacted support, they misunderstood me and I ended up with a free fan!

18. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Please dont double post - use the edit feature if you have more to add to your current post.

Secondly Intel arent bad even for budget their i3 (or lower rated haswell processors with the 'G' prefix) I built my dad a system with an i3 4130 - lowest of the haswell i3 range but my god does it perform.

[​IMG]

I was looking at getting my dad an AMD APU as i would keep the costs down, but when a Dual Core can keep up with a quad or octa-core or perform even better it just becomes a no brainer. Lower TDP, lower temps & overly more efficient vs anything comparable in the AMD range.

Definitely a sad day for AMD

xvi says thanks.
  19. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:

My bad, didn't even notice that I had done that. :O