• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my GPU ok?

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Wow...... :O
& if i have to pick between coolmaster elite v4 500w and the 600w one which one should i choose
There is some bad reputation on the CM elite series. But they fixed a lot of their issues (at least thats what they said in the meetup i was invited to back in 2013ish).
A few of my friends use them as well (post 2012) and they havent had any issues... yet.

check the list here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/
maybe you will find one available at your place.
Remember most good decent power supplies start at around

I think you mean well but this is poor advice as proven by Azee post above. 600w is not a user "sweet spot" but rather a marketing sweet spot.

That is meaning less because prices vary from country to country greatly. Also most good PSU ranges start at 500/600W any lower wattage wont get you any of the good designs.

"The more power u get, the less stressed it will be while using and hence generally last longer." is incorrect.

cant tell if you are trolling or not. Every single electronic component inside a PSU is rated for a certain peak operation regarding temps(mostly) and other factors. If you pull peak power out of something all the time, it will never last as long as something which is much lower than peak power and hence generates a lot less heat.

The better power supply you get, the less stressed it will be allowing it to last longer.

This is partially true. this is because, similar to my previous point, the components used in these will be running at much lower than their max performance when the power supply is run at its rated power.

This is why you take a good power supply, you can easily run it a bit above its rated power. I had a delta electronics 250W supply and i used it in a stress test of a Phenom ii 945, and a GTS450 OC2 Card from my spare system just for fun. It ran like that without any issues. Comparatively a locally made 500 W would go kaput after 1 or 2 months of use. This is because the 250W one wasnt running at max chops, where as cheap 500W was.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
cant tell if you are trolling or not.
I'm not trolling, I'm posting fact to your inaccurate opinions. The lack of understanding how power supplies operate can lead you having someone waste their money or worse, purchase something that may damage their PC hardware when the power supply goes.

There is some bad reputation on the CM elite series. But they fixed a lot of their issues (at least thats what they said in the meetup i was invited to back in 2013ish).
A few of my friends use them as well (post 2012) and they havent had any issues... yet.
Well if you can't take a brand know for mediocre power supplies at their word and some random user experience as fact for power supply quality then what can you take?...besides professional reviews.

check the list here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/
maybe you will find one available at your place.
Remember most good decent power supplies start at around

Will get to this tier list further down

...Also most good PSU ranges start at 500/600W any lower wattage wont get you any of the good designs.

This line is pure garbage, I'm sorry but there is no better word for it.
1 -a few "good" under 500w power supplies are the 450w Bitfenix Gold, seasonic platinum fanless 460w, among others. Don't just take my word for it, both are Tier A on the list you just linked ..
2 - wattage does not equal design, they have nothing to do with one another
3 - a wattage number alone on a power supply is a pure marketing term for sales positioning. That's it. You fail to understand the impact heat and design have on power supplies. A platinum DC-DC 450w unit rated 50c (and independently tested to be accurate) will deliver its full power, efficiently and with in spec in a hot PC case where a non-80 plus group regulated 600w unit @ 25c may not even be able to get to 450w in that same case and if it does it won't be efficient or within spec not to mention lack 12v amps needed to power a modern PC. Your inability to understand this is a major concern.

...Every single electronic component inside a PSU is rated for a certain peak operation regarding temps(mostly) and other factors.
You have actually stated something that is mostly true but you fail to understand what you said.
There is not much difference between a 500w or 600w unit of the exact same line (assuming same OEM). Both will use the exact same fan, caps, and many other parts.

If you pull peak power out of something all the time, it will never last as long as something which is much lower than peak power and hence generates a lot less heat.
1- I've already stated why wattage number on a power supply box is meaningless without having the entire picture of that specific power supply.
2 - using the seasonic 460w linked above, that unit will last you far longer at 460w peak power then any of the junk 600w units at 360w. In fact seasonic beleives its unit will last you for seven years at peak.
3 - if you are pulling peak power out of a PSU constantly then you purchased the wrong PSU.

This is why you take a good power supply, you can easily run it a bit above its rated power. I had a delta electronics 250W supply and i used it in a stress test of a Phenom ii 945, and a GTS450 OC2 Card from my spare system just for fun. It ran like that without any issues. Comparatively a locally made 500 W would go kaput after 1 or 2 months of use. This is because the 250W one wasnt running at max chops, where as cheap 500W was.
You realize these two lines contradict everything you stated about buying a bigger wattage PSU. The reason why the delta (an excellent OEM) could deliver over 250w was because it was well built and capable of delivering that power.

There are a lot of good power supplies and some bad ones. A respectable 600W PSU that is rated 80-plus gold will save money with less waste over time.

Great Wall, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, Cooler Master, Lepa and Thermaltake are some know brands that are fairly good today.

Last edited:
Your PSU wattage is fine, it's construction is not. The MSI card will daw more than ,ost ... and nothing on your system is asking for more watts than any any typical store bought system

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
  • GeForce GTX 1060 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 350~400 Watts power supply unit.
If you are going to overclock your GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina

We have dozens of builds out there with Seasonic 520s / 620s with overclocked i5s and i7s and AIB 1060s. None showing any strain or power draw at the wall higher than any level which would cause concern. Better 80-Plus ratings are nice ...they affect power costs, heat and noise from the PSU but do not necessarily mean better specs. If budget dictates you can't do Gold or better, than it may be, where you live, that power costs savings won't make up the sifferenbe in 4-5 years. Didn't catch where you are located, A few months back, you could pick up a Seasonic 520 / 620 for $35 ... now you are looking at $65 - 75 in US ... almost everything else at that price point, I wouldn't allow in any build

Seasonic S12 III 650 Bronze $73
Seasonic Focus Gold 550 $89
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550 $99

System Name ALIENWARE R8
Processor INTEL I5 9500 @3.9Ghz
Motherboard ALIENWARE 02XRCM
Cooling ALIENWAR Liqid Cooler
Memory DDR4 16GB @2.8Ghz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GForce RTX 2070 8GB
Storage 512 MB M.2, KINGSTON 480 GB SSD,SEAGATE 3 TB
Display(s) VIZIO E-241 25" TV
Case ALIENWARE R8
Power Supply 850 WATTS
Mouse ROSWILL NEON M60
Keyboard ALIENWARE
Software WIN 10
Throw that PSU in the bin and buy a half decent 400w+ PSU and you will be fine, I've used corsair builder series and Antec vp PSU's of similar wattage in the past with similar low pwered systems without issue, of course you're going to get the "buy a gold/platinum 600w PSU" people chiming in :rolleyes: though when you're paying more for your PSU than your whole PC is worth, then that doesn't really make much sense
perhaps .. but i bought a 620 watt platinum seasonic in 2012 and its still kicking to this day.. at one time i ran 6 HDD's, two 6850's, 8 or so fans w/o so much as a single issue.. made me a believer on seasonic psu's..

now my son uses the phenom II machine of mine and he also has no issues

i also have an archaic 200 or 250 watt psu from the 90's that works.. It test out perfectly when i connected it for fun.. Another cheap but much more modern PC's failed. the tester bauled at something it didnt like ablout the 5v.. it was out of spec

I have an HX1000i which has survived fine. It's very efficient so it useful in summer with little to no added heat.

I have been known to use extreme video cards so 1000W is not so far fetched when there are two such cards installed.

For your configuration a quality 400W PSU is more than enough. Everyone who says you need a >= 500W PSU has absolutely no clue what they are talking about and most likely are plain BS'ing you.

You have a 95W TDP CPU and a 135W GPU + other components ~ your computer has at absolute most (running FurMark + Prime95 stress tests simultaneously which will never occur in real life) 300W power consumption.

2400.png