• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my ISP telling me porkies

Ive been with the same ISP for years everything has been going along fine until 3 weeks ago

my pc is connected direct in to the router and not on wifi

suddenly I noticed netflix was buffering and I am on a 30 meg connection so I did a quick speedtest on speedtest.net to see a 0.5 meg speed
I ring them and they say ive been moved banding they have no idea why and move me back while i am on the phone they change it and im back to 30 megs within 2-3 mins
I didnt mess with anything i dont even turn the router off or on it just suddenly gets speed
its now happened twice since and they are now saying its my router and i need to sign a new contract and i will get a new router

but im not sure if they are telling me this to get me to sign a new contract or if there is something wrong with my router
anyone know

more info
my router is about 3 years old

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Not sure how it could be your router, if they flick a switch and it can hold the 30 meg after they have said that they had changed your banding wrongly and then you lose it again it strikes me that it could as easily be that they are playing games with you. If it were your router why would they admit that you are getting a low speed because they changed you?

I ran into this recently .... rebooting the cable modem solved the problem.

One thing you might want to try is plugging your router / switch / microcell / modem on a power strip which is plugged into an outlet timer. It turns power off to the power strip every morning at a day and time of your choosing for about 10 minutes. The weekley or daily reboot leaves everything fresh w/o any user intervention.

We have it set up with all wired connections having fixed IPs and all wireless assigned via DNS.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
They're probably just trying to force you to sign a new contract and keep you with them for another couple of years by the looks of it.

Where I live threatening to leave usually gets you a pretty sweet deal on new contracts (they'll throw in sports channels or bump you up in speed without raising prices).

the only thing im wondering is if the router has some small fault and the isp has a auto system which reduces the line speed to see if it works and it keeps reducing over a few hours and I only notice when its dropped low enough to notice

im not 100% sure but it feels like it works then suddenly drops but im not checking 24/7

like today for example I was on the net for pretty much the whole day and it was about 6pm that netflix drop in picture quality check speed test im getting 0.7 megs i ring them they sort it and by 6:30 its all fixed and been working between 28-32 megs all night

right now 4 hours later im on a laptop on wifi 4 rooms away from the router and im getting 32 megs

Your Router or leased from ISP ?
If Its the ISP's Leased Equipment and they are saying it has problems then they have a Duty/obligation to Replace !!!
with out renegotiating any new Contract
normal process is when you sign up for a new contract they send you a new router
but when I resigned with the same isp last time I had the current model of router they asked me if i wanted one but it was the exact same model so i didnt get a new one
they are normally free and they say when you leave them you should send them back but they never ask for them and if you ring them they tell you to throw them away

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
are you on altice/suddenlink? I am and they pull that crap all the time. Imma bouta switch. I am sick of their bs. I'm afraid to any firmware upgrades on anything because they've been so bad. intermittent AF and everyone in my area agrees with me and they've been going thru the same as well. altice ruined my isp.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Is it a separate router and modem or integrated into one box? If separate, you can try by-passing the router and connecting directly to the modem.

Where do you live? In the US, you are allowed to buy and use your own network gear instead of renting one from them. I always buy my own.