• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my laptop gpu dying? How can I check (3070 mobile)

lukastaves

The weirdest thing happened yesterday. Deathloop came to gamepass, I started playing it on my laptop. With DLSS performance could get everything cranked up, +raytracing upscaling to 4k and achieving around 60fps. The only setting I had to tune down a notch was texture quality, because with that I was getting some eventual stutters, and preferred to have a smoother experience.

I was playing for around 2 hours straight then I started getting hdmi flickers, not like the gpu was corrupting, the tv would turn off hdr mode and then turn immediately back on. It started being spaced out, but then becoming really annoying, happening all the time, and eventually the game crashed. I tried opening it up straight away after that and it crashed in less than 5 minutes again. So I rebooted, reconnected everything to make sure it was not lose and tried again.

Now with the exact settings I was playing the game becomes unplayable, not low fps unplayable, like literally running at 1fps and lower. At first I thought that due the crash some setting was modified, and it returned back to using more memory, but I checked and it was the latest settings I had. I tried changing a few stuff and it seems like wherever settings gets me down to 6.5GB usage the gpu works great as expected. If I go above that it becomes a slide show again, and the sluggishness seems related to memory operations too. if I stay still in one spot framerate goes back up, I move a few steps and slows down to less than 1fps again until eventually gets back up.

I also tried other games and most seem fine, but VRAM usage also stays below that 6.5GB threshold. The only exception was Halo Infinite, and it was the same. Loaded the game with the settings I finished the whole game before and the behavior was the same, completely sluggish, after everything is seemingly loaded up framerate goes high, I move a little, rinse and repeat. I turn down the texture quality so the overall ran stays below the 6.5GB = no performance issues.

I tried running all memory, ssd, cpu and gpu benchmarks I could find (crystal disk, 3dmark, ocbase, furmark, even alienware's bio check)... Neither showed anything wrong, but I think ocbase just keeps the memory gpu usage high to check for crashes, it doesn't actually assess bandwidth. Also tried reinstalling every driver, updated the laptop bios and everything. Ah definitely not a thermal issue either, the laptop stays cool. I just stressed test with ocbase, it was able to sustain over 4 hours the gpu with 100% utilization, and never went past 78C degrees, or throttled the power (it stayed consistently at the 139.9W mark.

I haven't formatting everything yet, but that's the next step, but since the laptop is still in warranty, I would love to have some sort of test that can access every memory module is reading/writing as fast as it should, because to me sounds like where the issue is.

lukastaves

Recorded a video:

In this same area before I used to get 60fps, now I'm getting 40-50. But even so, it seems that some thing happens to the gpu memory when it tried to load this new event and performance is destroyed. Even if I get back to the original area once this happens it won't perform as it was before.

And this starts randomly, sometimes I get 5min of playtime, sometimes 1 hour....