• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my motherboard dead? (Asus P6T Deluxe V2)

Strakele

I just built a Core i7 920 system on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. 12GB G.Skill RAM, 850W PSU, GTX 280, Vista Ultimate x64.

It's been running fine for a few weeks. Today, I installed an aftermarket Cooler Master CPU cooler. After the install, I started it back up. Windows loaded fine, I logged in and loaded RealTemp to check on how much difference the new cooler made. After a few seconds, the system turned off, and now refuses to turn back on. After it died, there was a strange smell in the air as well.

At first I thought the power supply may have died, but it will run another machine and checks out on my PSU tester. Right now, with the essentials plugged in, double and triple checked, hitting the power button will give a very quick (1/4 sec) burst of power that will light up LED's and crank the fans around maybe 1/8 of a turn before everything shuts off.

There was no smoke and I don't see any physical deformities on any components. There was the strange smell however. I don't have another system to test the mobo/CPU, so I could really use some help here. I have less than a week before the motherboard is out of NewEgg's 30 day exchange policy.

My guess is that it's the motherboard, not the processor. Then again, I haven't had one die on me before. What do you think?

Thanks for any help.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Did you remove the mobo to fit the cooler? If so, check that nothing is now shorting out the board, especially at the back.
Also could be thermal compound on the board or loose plugs.

System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
Ouch that sucks :\, sounds like maybe a psu failure or a short. Does it do anything when you push the power button? Lights or fans spinning?

Processor ???
Motherboard 760
Cooling HK
Memory 3x1gb
Video Card(s) 285 Classified / EVGA 480
Display(s) 22" Acer /42" Toshiba
Case Stacker
Power Supply Toughpower 1000w / Coolmaster 650w
Software All of them
sounds a lot like my problem it would start up for a few secs then shutdown

my mobo was on a piece of neoprene so it wasnt a short

i just rma the psu and mobo

do it now before the warranty expires

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
If you can't test the components to check for failure, then Assassin48 is correct (of course :)). Sucks though.............

Strakele

As stated in my original post, when pressing the power button everything will light up and fans will spin for a fraction of a second. I tested the PSU on a power supply tester, as well as on another machine, and it works.

I took the motherboard out of the case and placed it on the cardboard box it came in. Same result.

Asus tech support said based on my symptoms it's most likely a bad motherboard. I think they're probably right.

emiran

ASUS z7100 Laptop Won't Start

Hi guys,

I have the same issue with my laptop that strakele has. I know he said that the ASUS techs said its more likely the motherboard. But does anyone else had this problem? One day I was using my laptop for about 5 hours, then all of a sudden, the screen went blank. Pitch black! I touched the bottom of the laptop and it was very hot (that afternoon was a very hot day!). I left it to cool down and after half an hour I restarted it and it started normal, and the screen was up. I shut it down and then around 8 p.m. I started it and the compute worked fine for another 4 hours. I shutdown the laptop and it shutdown perfectly.
The following day, I started it to work on it, when all of a sudden, about 15 minutes of having it on, the same thing happened. The screen just went pitch black, and the power and harddrive lights were on. I tried moving the mouse because I said maybe it went on sleep mode, but nothing. I had to hold down the power button until it shutdown. I once again touched the laptop and it was very hot. I said maybe its the fan not working so I would leave it to cool down and try it again. After about an hour or so, I turned it on, but the LEDs would come on, and the fans and even the harddrive I felt it started to turn. But nothing would come on the screen. I spend all that day to try to see if after cooling it, the screen would come on, but nothing. Also, I tried to connect it to another monitor, just to see if it was my laptop screen, but nothing came on on the other monitor. Also, I removed the video card and tried to start up the laptop, which the LEDs came on and the fans and HD, but this time, the screen was white, because there was no video card attached. So i figured that it wasn't my laptop screen.
Then the following day, I took it to work to see if it would come on, and lo and behold, as soon as I pressed the power button, the screen came on! So I was happy, and I said that maybe it has to do with some cooling issue, but right after 5 minutes of having it on, the screen went pitch black again! and from then up to now, my laptop doesn't want to come on again. I connect it directly with my psu, and the LEDs come on, fans and HD spin, but after a short while, it shuts down, and screen is still pitch black!!!!!!!

I do not know if Strakele did replace his motherboard and that solved his problem, or if someone else has any suggestion about confirming if it indeed its the motherboard, or its the video card. I replaced both RAM of 1 gb each with new ones, cleaned the heat sink, and fans, and the only two other things for me to try is to either change the video card, or replace the motherboard, but if I could get any assistance in this matter I would really appreciate it cause I do not want to get a new video card and thats not the problem, or get a new motherboard when that not the problem either. Please can someone assist, its urgent! :banghead:

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Hi guys,

I have the same issue with my laptop that strakele has. I know he said that the ASUS techs said its more likely the motherboard. But does anyone else had this problem? One day I was using my laptop for about 5 hours, then all of a sudden, the screen went blank. Pitch black! I touched the bottom of the laptop and it was very hot (that afternoon was a very hot day!). I left it to cool down and after half an hour I restarted it and it started normal, and the screen was up. I shut it down and then around 8 p.m. I started it and the compute worked fine for another 4 hours. I shutdown the laptop and it shutdown perfectly.
The following day, I started it to work on it, when all of a sudden, about 15 minutes of having it on, the same thing happened. The screen just went pitch black, and the power and harddrive lights were on. I tried moving the mouse because I said maybe it went on sleep mode, but nothing. I had to hold down the power button until it shutdown. I once again touched the laptop and it was very hot. I said maybe its the fan not working so I would leave it to cool down and try it again. After about an hour or so, I turned it on, but the LEDs would come on, and the fans and even the harddrive I felt it started to turn. But nothing would come on the screen. I spend all that day to try to see if after cooling it, the screen would come on, but nothing. Also, I tried to connect it to another monitor, just to see if it was my laptop screen, but nothing came on on the other monitor. Also, I removed the video card and tried to start up the laptop, which the LEDs came on and the fans and HD, but this time, the screen was white, because there was no video card attached. So i figured that it wasn't my laptop screen.
Then the following day, I took it to work to see if it would come on, and lo and behold, as soon as I pressed the power button, the screen came on! So I was happy, and I said that maybe it has to do with some cooling issue, but right after 5 minutes of having it on, the screen went pitch black again! and from then up to now, my laptop doesn't want to come on again. I connect it directly with my psu, and the LEDs come on, fans and HD spin, but after a short while, it shuts down, and screen is still pitch black!!!!!!!

I do not know if Strakele did replace his motherboard and that solved his problem, or if someone else has any suggestion about confirming if it indeed its the motherboard, or its the video card. I replaced both RAM of 1 gb each with new ones, cleaned the heat sink, and fans, and the only two other things for me to try is to either change the video card, or replace the motherboard, but if I could get any assistance in this matter I would really appreciate it cause I do not want to get a new video card and thats not the problem, or get a new motherboard when that not the problem either. Please can someone assist, its urgent! :banghead:

You should have made a new thread for this - your hardware is different, even if the problem seems the same.

I suggest you need to have another look at the cooling. confirm that the fan is running and you have removed all the dust bunnies.

livehard

System Name Zeus
Processor Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.93 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory 12 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 3x EVGA GTX 275; ATI FirePro V5700
Storage Corsair P128, Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
Display(s) Hanns G 22"
Case CoolerMaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 2x Corsair TX750W
Software Win7 RC, SolidWorks '09, Adobe CS4
Benchmark Scores Still Working on that.
That funky smell indicates a fried CPU due to an improperly installed HSF. 99% of the time anyhow. In your case, it fits perfectly.