• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my router bad?

Hey guys,

I was hoping you can help me with a curious issue I have. You did many times before!

So last week I switched my ISP hoping to find a cheaper alternative. Well the new ISP engineer came in, installed everything and it seemed to be working alright, however I am supposed to be getting 300Mb/s yet I'm only receiving 90Mb/s according to speedtest.net. And the speed never changes. Whatever the server the speed is the same. So I called the ISP and they said that the problem is my router and it is somehow throttling the internet speed. Because they checked the line and up until their box it's a stable 300Mb/s.

This is my router http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-WDR3600.html
It is supposed to allow internet speeds up to 1Gb/s isn't it? I was also receiving 600Mb/s using this very same router with my previous internet provider. Can a router go bad in such a weird way?

So my next step was to try to plug in the ethernet cable directly into the computer, cutting out the router.
I took the yellow tipped cable and plugged it into my pc. No internet connection though. The network tray icon shows a red circled x or a triangle yellow exclamation point. When I open network and sharing center it cycles between "no internet connection" and "identifying". What step am I missing? Troubleshooting just says to plug in the cable, so that's no help.

Also, when I plug in the ethernet cable into my computer a green light flashes near it. A "LAN" light flashes on the
as well, however at long intervals (~5s), compared to it constantly flashing (~0.5s) when my internet goes through the router.

Motherboard: Gigabyte, GA-970A-D3

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. My router is upgraded to the latest firmware.

EDIT: The issue is solved! I hooked up my computer straight up to the ISP's box. The speed was adequate so I figured the fault is in the cable. I checked under the trim and turns out the technician who installed everything cut the internet cable and didn't solder (I wasn't home at the time). So I peeled of the
and connected everything appropriately. I now have everything working as it was meant to. :) Router doesn't reduce the speed and cable to computer is fine too.

Last edited: