• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there a way to fix this? GeFORCE 8600GT

TrippiN

hello, I recently just found an old graphics card that i had stored a long time ago. I think what happened was it sparked and caught a tiny flame before i shut my computer off quickly. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself? I tried to do some research but all i found was people fixing capacitors. I did a little more digging and I think this is called a VRM or something? Anyways, if anyone can help

Attachments

• graphicscard1.jpg
    graphicscard1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 475
  • graphicscard2.jpg
    graphicscard2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 493
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Ooo fried mosfet. Looks like it's part of a VRM phase, though maybe not for the GPU itself. Usually there are several phases for GPU vcore. Maybe its for memory.

What I can see is fixable... ...you need to get another mosfet and solder it on. Not really that different from replacing capacitors/resistors.

Mosfet failure is a bit suspect. I mean it does happen but usually the inductor or capacitor will go first. Bottom line is, that mosfet got REALLY hot when it shouldn't have. And its entirely possible that another fault is to blame, rather than the mosfet just having "gone bad". Sometimes they do just get too hot and fail, or they lock-up and fail... but it shouldn't really happen on a well-designed board with properly selected components. It's not the worst thing that could happen in terms of damage to the rest of the card, but it suggests other problems. Or just cheap fets/caps/etc... ...neither here nor there. Just something that needs investigating.

At the very least the inductor on that phase may now be ready to go too, depending on how/why that mosfet went. I'm not versed enough to say for sure what happened, but it would be a good idea to also replace the capacitor(s) and inductor on that phase.

I mean, you can replace the mosfet and call it a day... ...doesn't mean it won't fail again, or that something related won't go next (if it hasn't already.) My point is that its worth trying to diagnose why that mosfet failed if you really wanna fix it.

I will also tell you what I told the last person who asked something like this. This isn't a DIY job. The chances of succeeding without experience and equipment is pretty low. You'll burn up a lot of time and money for only a slight chance of actually fixing the problem, assuming the problem is one you can actually see (many times it isn't.) If you're gonna do it, take your time and just enjoy it. Make it a little project you research and work on in your spare time. The best you can probably hope for is to learn something.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard Asrock X470 Master sli/ac
Cooling Raijintek Themis Evo
Memory Team Dark Pro 3200 cl14
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 850W
The whole card itself is worth less than the chip that will fix it, not counting all the soldering equipment and time you will spend on it. If you want to have fun or learn to fix a GPU, go ahead, but otherwise don't waste your whole afternoon for this.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I agree what robot zombie an supercrit said.

First thing to do is to identify what it is, simple thing to do is look at the chip and find its number. Googling the number will reveal what it is. You can find it easily one some site like element14. But a chip burned like that is usually because of the component it connected to, for example capacitor/induction or resistor failing. Troubleshooting that requires a lot of time if you just using DMM without any PCB layout or datasheet.

It will make a good DIY project but solder/desolder multilayer PCB is not a beginner thing to do. Its harder than just solder/desolder a through-PCB electrolyctic capacitor

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
hello, I recently just found an old graphics card that i had stored a long time ago. I think what happened was it sparked and caught a tiny flame before i shut my computer off quickly. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself? I tried to do some research but all i found was people fixing capacitors. I did a little more digging and I think this is called a VRM or something? Anyways, if anyone can help

@buildzoid has a pretty good understanding of Vrms etc even resurrected boards by crude means too lol.

Ask him a question through a private message or ask him here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

It might be cheaper to buy an 8600GT, or a 9000 swries part of theirs

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I agree with everyone else. It's not an easy thing to do, and it's definitely not worth doing just for the sake of saving the card. It would be good to learn from though.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
you will end up whit artificial artifacts on screen until something will burn down.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
So many pessimistic posts. :(

Fixing hardware (or at least trying to fix it) is fun, and as I buy even more old hardware like AGP graphics cards, fixing stuff from that era is just cool.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
So many pessimistic posts. :(

Fixing hardware (or at least trying to fix it) is fun, and as I buy even more old hardware like AGP graphics cards, fixing stuff from that era is just cool.
I agree! But I think what we're all kind of getting at is that buying the stuff to do it and putting in the time just to have a working card is probably a very bad use of time/money. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. The idea just needs to be tempered with reality. If your only goal is to have something work... ...or to have a walkthrough that's gonna allow you to succeed for minimal time/effort, you're going to be let down. Sometimes, even paying someone to fix it costs more than a suitable replacement. Same with buying the gear to fix it and taking a chance with no experience. Best not to bother and just move on if all you want is for the part to work again. It just isn't worth it.

Just kind of one of those obligatory things to point out for the uninitiated. Its more of an endeavor and gamble than many people who've never done it seem to make it out to be. Not really meant to say "don't bother." More just "don't do this for the wrong reasons."

Don't get me wrong, it's a great challenge for those with a mind for figuring things out on their own and I'm sure that at least a few of us here would be happy to give a starting point in that case. Not a bad hobby to get into if you care about understanding the technology that goes into these things better.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Yeah, I got the point. Usually I happen to have spare parts for fixing things, so no money wasted if something just keeps being broken.

Hell, I even fixed my brothers' Xbox with caps from a broken motherboard. :D