• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this VA panel smearing or something else? I can't tell if this is normal smearing for VA... pics inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have seen VA smearing before, but it usually is just black in its color, slow pixel response type smearing due to VA panel nature... but this monitor I am trying out has a colored smearing, its not black, and its not isolated, it takes up the whole screen: pictures below (it only occurs when I move the mouse, slow or fast it doesn't matter)

first image is what its supposed to look, this is the same monitor but this is a still shot not moving the mouse

and this is when i move the camera: the game doesn't look this blurry my camera is just crap, but everything has an outline as a chromatic color blur to it (for some reason camera only shows it as bright white), the camera doesn't show all of it, but yeah its really annoying:

before a still shot looks normal (the camera is just blurry):

after shot, notice the colored smearing taking place to the left of the black area (this is what all games look like that have dark scenes in them like bioshock, tomb raider, etc) when you move the camera you get this color shift all across the screen not just one area, and it only happens going from left o right moving steam around, but not right to left, its pure black no smearing:

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Black smearing is tolerable on VA, but colored smearing? I don't get that on my AOC VA 144hz ultrawide. Looks like overshoot, possibly from overdrive settings. If not, it's a defect.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Black smearing is tolerable on VA, but colored smearing? I don't get that on my AOC VA 144hz ultrawide. Looks like overshoot, possibly from overdrive settings. If not, it's a defect.

I have it with overdrive at default, at max, and at it's lowest, and the same thing happens. It's so strong it ruins entire immersion in some games: bioshock 1 and 2 remastered, metro 2033 redux, the tomb raider screenshot of course, basically all of these games, in dark scenes which is basically most of the game, any time i turn the camera there is huge huge color shifting, not black smearing. but the odd thing is it doesn't happen in bright games, like world of warcraft shadowlands, unless i enter a dark tunnel or pathway in a WoW dungeon, it looks a little funky.

but in normal WoW gameplay the screen looks great the entire time. its very odd, never come across this type of issue. lol

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Have you tried different refresh rates?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Have you tried different refresh rates?

it helped it in 2 of the 6 games i tested, but no its still there in the other 4 games... its less horrible now but still pretty bad and chromatic in color not typical black smearing... very odd indeed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

just an update it, it looks like changing it from 8 bit to 6 bit in color settings fixed most of it but not all. weird. i wonder if that means a better DP cable might help it... the one it came with is really janky... lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Right, you've answered some of my questions in your posts to others here, but still a few outstanding ones:

- What's the make and model of the monitor?
- How new is it? Could you still return it for a refund if you wanted to? You might be able to get a monitor with characteristics more to your liking. Personally, I find a modern, good quality TN display still has a very good picture, despite inherent TN limitations and the fast response time really helps and I don't have to put up with any IPS glow. It's a matter of preference.
- ALL LCD monitors will show motion smearing, regardless of display technology. It's inherent in any sample and hold type display and actually an artifact of the way our brains process motion. To prove it, stare at a the middle of the screen (don't move your eyes), then move the mouse pointer back and forth across your vision. You see still images of a perfectly clear mouse pointer! Even at 60Hz. In normal use, there's only two ways to reduce motion blur, which can be used together: high refresh rate and a strobing backlight. The BenQ in my specs can do 144Hz with strobing. This combination is so effective at reducing motion blur, that it blows away any CRT display. You can see moving objects with almost perfect clarity and simply looks amazing. Warning: the strobing can give you headaches and has other visual artifacts, too. In short, no one display technology has it all.
- Don't bother changing your DP cable, as it won't change anything about the picture. As it's transferring a digital signal, the physical quality of the cable doesn't matter. All the the monitor cares about is that it can read the data properly, which it can and therefore you're getting the full picture quality. If it didn't, you'd see things like a blank display, flashing display, or a corrupted picture. All these things are pretty rare.
- Please fill out your system specs. It looks cool and helps the community to help you.

Last edited:
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
i wonder if that means a better DP cable might help it... the one it came with is really janky... lol
Janky? Are you getting frequent reports of no-signal from the monitor and it seems that you have to keep pulling it out and reinserting it into the port(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.