• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Turing the first step that nvidia took to bring their GPUs to consoles in the future ?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
That is just incorrect : https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/INTEL/INTEL_map_texture.txt Not only that this isn't true on an API level, this is simply not true in general, the CPU can access memory on any device addressed through it's IO ports and vice versa. How else would all of this even work ? Of course you can directly access memory from anywhere. If it's slow, not secure, etc is a different matter.

Elaborate please, how does it all work together such that it's so vastly different ? When you do a draw call does it work differently compared to a Windows machine running DirectX ? Give me an actual example of how something is so fundamentally different at a software level on a current generation console.

That's why this discussion doesn't go anywhere because of all you are just telling me that I am wrong and when asked why all I get are incredibly vague and elusive claims such as "there is a million abstraction layers" and "legacy stuff makes things slower".

Excuse me but, I simply cannot take those as serious arguments and explanations. With the advent of these new consoles all they need is an API , a graphics driver and an OS and they all interface in the same way they do on PC. Just like everything else out there nowadays, there is no reason to believe it all somehow works differently despite them being nearly identical platforms, hardware wise.

If you really want to see a console in action who works differently and does benefit from optimizations unseen on PC take a look at the PS2 which had a vector co-processor and other DSP-like components who did actually need a completely different framework. Those days are simply gone.
Yet playing doom on linux via windows shows different fps capabilities as do all games.

You are short selling the optimisations sony have had to do.

If you were right then the same system x86 could play the same game on linux or windows at the same fps , but that is not so.

Ps4 does not use windows, Xbox nearly does.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Yet playing doom on linux via windows shows different fps capabilities as do all games.

What do you mean on linux via windows ? You mean through Wine ? Of course it would run worse, that has nothing to do with console optimizations.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

You are short selling the optimisations sony have had to do.

If you were right then the same system x86 could play the same game on linux or windows at the same fps , but that is not so.

Ps4 does not use windows, Xbox nearly does.

I think neither Vya or me are getting the right point across. This discussion started with how capable are consoles and how can they get that 4K60 or 4K30 target. Sources have already been provided that an RX580 can hit 27 FPS @ 4K on a PC. An equivalent GPU will surely do the same on a console. It won't get 60. It will get 30. And it may even dip below 30.

Console ports use several tricks that have also trickled down to the PC space and they provide insight in how the consoles get their FPS targets. None of that is console-specific optimization. TSSAA and other upscale/blur/sharpen passes have been seriously improved and are now also providing a benefit on PC versions of said games. That is what applies to the GPU side of the equation, and is therefore easily ported over. (Internal) render resolution is a common slider these days, and that slider is never maxed out on a console. Play RE7 and you can see the point. Its a blurfest on its basic setting and even the maxed out slider still applies some sort of upscale on a lower internal render res. You never get your native display res rendered for that game within the basic game settings.

What is not ported is the CPU-focused improvements, and those are indeed all about abstraction layers, being able to code closer to metal, and on a single configuration. But those improvements ONLY serve to allow the slow CPUs in the consoles to do what they do. They are not only 'nice to have', they are essential, compulsory work that needs to be done to even get a game to run proper. "Optimization" for CPU on the graphical side of things can often be done without touching graphics quality, but not always. None of these things make the GPU faster. They allow a console to use that GPU fully with a much weaker CPU.

Talking about memory subsystems giving extra performance is complete bullshit and does not take into account the varying setups the consoles have used to date. Its not without reason an extra CPU core was made available to devs and its not without reason many games frequently dip to sub 25 FPS on either console. Those numbers simply belong to this range of hardware and any time they perform much better, you can easily point to the reason. Forza was named, well, racing games use a fixed track, have a very limited scope, basically are limited in everything. Its almost on-rails in terms of game design with the minor exception of some car simulation which is also one fixed asset per race. Racing games have always performed better and were always capable of pushing graphical boundaries compared to for example a shooter on the same hardware. Hell, I remember Wipeout on the PS3, which ran a buttery smooth 60 FPS everywhere and looked pristine. There is nothing really new here.

People really should stop comparing todays' console landscape to that of 10 years or further back. Its not the same. The market is rapidly moving towards simplifying all the things, one size fits all and that goes for game design more than anything. Complexity only brings additional expenses with very little benefits, and walled gardens these days can be maintained by just plastering a different DRM and logo on your hardware.

Here is a good example of what I mean. There are no shortcuts to better GPU performance here. Only tricks and they aren't console specific, but consoles are the best devices to deploy this for. Not only because of the single hardware config, but mostly because there is economical incentive: the cheaper the hardware in the console, the more you'll sell, the bigger the potential market, also for devs. If devs can bring higher graphical fidelity on that same config, that is a USP to their product. On the PC that USP only comes out when you buy better hardware, so devs don't benefit. They benefit more from providing a range of settings you can tweak. Cheaper, easier, more suited to that market.

http://www.redgamingtech.com/killzo...tion-temporal-reprojection-shadow-fall-1080p/

@FordGT90Concept Here is Forza on PC

https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/76...ideokaarten-testresultaten-ultra-hd-3840x2160

Note the FPS on medium @ 4K. 60 FPS on RX580 would equal just about a setting between medium and ultra - 'high'? What did it run on the Xbox again ;)

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
What do you mean on linux via windows ? You mean through Wine ? Of course it would run worse, that has nothing to do with console optimizations.
I typed verses, phones eh.

I think neither Vya or me are getting the right point across. This discussion started with how capable are consoles and how can they get that 4K60 or 4K30 target. Sources have already been provided that an RX580 can hit 27 FPS @ 4K on a PC. An equivalent GPU will surely do the same on a console. It won't get 60. It will get 30. And it may even dip below 30.

Console ports use several tricks that have also trickled down to the PC space and they provide insight in how the consoles get their FPS targets. None of that is console-specific optimization. TSSAA and other upscale/blur/sharpen passes have been seriously improved and are now also providing a benefit on PC versions of said games. That is what applies to the GPU side of the equation, and is therefore easily ported over. (Internal) render resolution is a common slider these days, and that slider is never maxed out on a console. Play RE7 and you can see the point. Its a blurfest on its basic setting and even the maxed out slider still applies some sort of upscale on a lower internal render res. You never get your native display res rendered for that game within the basic game settings.

What is not ported is the CPU-focused improvements, and those are indeed all about abstraction layers, being able to code closer to metal, and on a single configuration. But those improvements ONLY serve to allow the slow CPUs in the consoles to do what they do. They are not only 'nice to have', they are essential, compulsory work that needs to be done to even get a game to run proper. "Optimization" for CPU on the graphical side of things can often be done without touching graphics quality, but not always. None of these things make the GPU faster. They allow a console to use that GPU fully with a much weaker CPU.

Talking about memory subsystems giving extra performance is complete bullshit and does not take into account the varying setups the consoles have used to date. Its not without reason an extra CPU core was made available to devs and its not without reason many games frequently dip to sub 25 FPS on either console. Those numbers simply belong to this range of hardware and any time they perform much better, you can easily point to the reason. Forza was named, well, racing games use a fixed track, have a very limited scope, basically are limited in everything. Its almost on-rails in terms of game design with the minor exception of some car simulation which is also one fixed asset per race. Racing games have always performed better and were always capable of pushing graphical boundaries compared to for example a shooter on the same hardware. Hell, I remember Wipeout on the PS3, which ran a buttery smooth 60 FPS everywhere and looked pristine. There is nothing really new here.

People really should stop comparing todays' console landscape to that of 10 years or further back. Its not the same. The market is rapidly moving towards simplifying all the things, one size fits all and that goes for game design more than anything. Complexity only brings additional expenses with very little benefits, and walled gardens these days can be maintained by just plastering a different DRM and logo on your hardware.

Here is a good example of what I mean. There are no shortcuts to better GPU performance here. Only tricks and they aren't console specific, but consoles are the best devices to deploy this for. Not only because of the single hardware config, but mostly because there is economical incentive: the cheaper the hardware in the console, the more you'll sell, the bigger the potential market, also for devs. If devs can bring higher graphical fidelity on that same config, that is a USP to their product. On the PC that USP only comes out when you buy better hardware, so devs don't benefit. They benefit more from providing a range of settings you can tweak. Cheaper, easier, more suited to that market.

http://www.redgamingtech.com/killzo...tion-temporal-reprojection-shadow-fall-1080p/
Dude I didn't mention consoles , windows v linux , same system, same game, different fps.

Fact , thats just down to layers, abstraction and APIs

A xbox Scorpios gpu is not the equal of an rx580 it doesn't have the power budget, and no consoles using the same abstraction layer as windows so as shown in point one different optimization tactics get applied.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I typed verses, phones eh.

Dude I didn't mention consoles , windows v linux , same system, same game, different fps.

Fact , thats just down to layers, abstraction and APIs

A xbox Scorpios gpu is not the equal of an rx580 it doesn't have the power budget, and no consoles using the same abstraction layer as windows so as shown in point one different optimization tactics get applied.

Our opinions aren't that far apart though... all I'm saying is, cool down on the promises of console optimizations these days. Its not as big as it used to be and the data provided so far all supports that. People have been challenged to provide a source proving the opposite - Forza was mentioned, and I just countered that with similar PC performance.

I find it funny as well that when we speak of consoles 'they do 4K' when they run that res with all sorts of quality degrading tweaks (some more visible than others) and at low ~30 ish FPS and its apparently OK, when on PC we seem to compare that to 4k60 high/ultra gaming or it 'sucks'.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Nobody is expecting anything (promises). All that was being said was there are some optimizations on a console versus a PC. And there are. It may not be as much as some were thinking, it may be more than others are thinking... but they are there. It used to be A LOT more than it is today it seems, but there is little doubt there are some there.

2 pages later, lol... classic TPU. :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
@FordGT90Concept Here is Forza on PC

https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/76...ideokaarten-testresultaten-ultra-hd-3840x2160

Note the FPS on medium @ 4K. 60 FPS on RX580 would equal just about a setting between medium and ultra - 'high'? What did it run on the Xbox again ;)
XBOX runs close to Ultra. The article I linked, they talk about the visual differences between GTX 1080 Ti and XBOX. GTX 1080 Ti is only slightly better. If memory serves, the main difference is lower resolution textures because games only have 9 GiB of memory (total) to work with. GTX 1080 Ti by itself has 11 GiB + system RAM.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Nobody is expecting anything (promises). All that was being said was there are some optimizations on a console versus a PC. And there are. It may not be as much as some were thinking, it may be more than others are thinking... but they are there. It used to be A LOT more than it is today it seems, but there is little doubt there are some there.

2 pages later, lol... classic TPU. :)

You say that, but...

Well, just looking at the hardware in these consoles for one. Second, it doesn't take nearly as much horsepower due to the settings and configuring games for what amounts to 1/2 pieces of hardware. Isn't it around an RX 480 as far as hardware goes, but with more vRAM? A 480 isn't a 4K card in a PC. I mean its previous iteration, the "s" supported 4K as well and ran that with a 12 CU GCN unit, while the "X" now has 40 CUs and seems to be a custom card as it takes from Polaris and Vega. But yeah, same concept as apple, really. You are coding for one or two pieces of hardware, not an infinite combination. Therefore coding can be optimzed a lot more and, as we see, doesn't need as powerful of a GPU to drive 4K at its settings.

The idea about console performance is wrong here. The sources provided point that out; these GPUs are performing nearly similar on console and PC. But on PC 'its not 4K capable' and on a console we're happy with 30 FPS and reduced quality. Thát was a point I wanted to make.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Nearly. Not the same. A console needs some further optimizations to not fall below that 30 FPS mark at 4K with the 'same' hardware as in a PC.

And yes, that point about the 480 hardware was corrected 1.5 pages and god knows how many posts ago. That doesn't change the point in my last post here.

Have fun guys.. I'm getting a bit dizzy going in circles. :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The sources provided point that out; these GPUs are performing nearly similar on console and PC.
PC-only benchmarks mean nothing in relation to consoles. The only source in this thread that compares PC and XBOX is the EuroGamer link I provided. What did they discover? A well optimized XBOX can pump out as many frames at the same resolution as at least an GTX 1080. How can that be? GTX 1080 is a 8.2 TFLOP card compared to XBOX's 6 TFLOP. The 2.2 TFLOP difference is made up for by simplified memory architecture, fewer software layers to render a frame, and developing the game specifically for that one hardware platform.

Consoles (effectively ASIC machines) have always had a performance/watt advantage over PCs. If developers aren't meeting their performance targets on a console platform, they change the game to make it match (e.g. reduce polygon count on models).

This process is the reason why Witcher 2 never finished its port to PlayStation 3. The amount of optimization they had to do to make it work on PS3's awkward hardware made it cost ineffective. This is why PC gamers are usually stuck with console ports: the optimization they did for consoles often carries over into PC.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
This is why PC gamers are usually stuck with console ports: the optimization they did for consoles often carries over into PC.

This goes at odds with what you've been saying up until now. How come there are supposed to be major optimizations that can only be done on consoles due to them having a fixed hardware setup and yet here you are saying they often carry over to the PC. Is there something special about them or not after all ?

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Example: if they remove a tree or dozen in a scene to improve framerate, those trees are likely gone in the PC version too. PC usually doesn't get much optimization beyond those ported optimizations. They're mostly graphics driver related bug fixes (Tom Clancy's The Division had a lot of that going on).

Ehm, console games have to pass qualification to get launched and qualification includes meeting framerate targets. PC has no such requirements (variations in hardware makes it pointless anyway).

NVidia's been there and done that. The happiest day in nVidia's history was when AMD **won** the console market. There's certainly a draw to that big cash value ... but nVidia stumbled while they had that contract and AMD made nice strides against them focusing solely on the card market. Afte AMD took it, they started going downhill fast. It would seem that while it increases gross income, the diversion of resources and requirements to meet deadlines, with all that cash at risk, puts too much strain on their core business.