• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IS Win 7 about to loose support in 6 months?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
@Raw You're bringing the crazy hard today. The only thing I will say is Windows 8 does run as good, or even better, than Windows 7.

No wait, I will say another thing: You have no idea how security surrounding credit cards works, and it's too late to worry about that anyway.

Best thing MS could have done was get rid of Balmer and his entire idiotic regime, and they did get rid of them all.
Win 8 was a graphical and toyish trash plate that Balmer thought he could shove down the throats of consumers because he thought he was some kind of god over there.
Now the idiot is homeless and standing shoeless in a soup line, as he very well should be.
Ok, I'm not sure about the homeless, shoeless part... but the guy was a jerkoff imo.

You say:
It runs better than 7 on almost everything that 7 runs on

I say:
huh? where... how... wut???

Are you kidding me? Do you say that from actual experience or do you say that from reading some google review?
I say, I don't believe it.
My machines all are fast. All 6 of them are rockets. All run Win 7.
I had Win 8, tossed it in the garbage a long time back.

Windows 7 has been the best OS ever, well, for me I mean... and billions of others agree too.

Win 9?
I'm betting Win 9 will come with all kinds of serious user installation restrictions (that benefit MS, not the user) and all this cloud krap that I don't want or need.
I don't want my credit card info in a cloud somewhere over Jakarta or Libya or who knows where, so some thief or disgruntled employee over there in India can access my info.
I can afford a harddrive.

You seem to have a wild hair stuck up your butt. Let's examine reality for a moment.

Balmer, whether you agree with him or not, is not poor. That man made enough money for a lifetime with MS, even if you overlook the time when he ran the company. His severance likely totals more than what the average person will make in a lifetime. He also wasn't doing anything new. Years ago Apple rolled out a unified UI, and artists still praise that "innovation." MS wants the same uniform experience, but their implementation should have been less jarring. The unified UI isn't inherently a bad thing, but Balmer's push to unify the UI without regards to the user feedback was insanely detrimental.

UI and performance are very different things. A skull knob on the end of my gear shift lever doesn't make it faster than any other car, the engine and transmission do. Windows 8 better managed system resources, and therefore performed better. You can disagree with the implementation of the UI, but arguing that you threw it away and therefore there was no improvement is ignorant.

You believe your information is safe as long as you don't submit to the online stores? Perhaps you should withdraw farther from reality. In the last two years there have been giant breaches in credit card information security from brick and mortar stores. Somehow you are arguing that an online store is less secure. I submit that neither is truly secure, and you need to manage your data rather than moan about potential security breaches. That is the only acceptable way to address the reality of the situation.

Finally, "billions of others" disagree with what I am saying. This is, potentially, the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There are about 7.2 billion people currently on the planet. Assuming one in four can afford a computer for personal use, that's 1.8 billion potential computers. Assuming again that about half of these computer users can run windows, we've got a potential market of 0.9 billion computers. As MS has sold several hundred thousand copies of Windows 8, the numbers don't seem to add up to any sort of reality. Even people who agree that Windows 8 is not a good step forward (of which I am a member) have to call your foolishness here.

If you hate Windows 8, that's fine. If you're going to argue as to why it sucks, have a good reason. Screaming that is sucks "because" doesn't fix anything. Saying that the UI is backward tells the people designing the next OS something they can tackle. Without actual quantifiable goals you aren't moving towards a productive resolution.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I really have to agree with @lilhasselhoffer. While i don't like the Modern UI, and while it has been the polarizing aspect of W8, no one who has actually used it for any period of time can really argue that it operates faster and more intelligently than 7. And there are many ways to get that benefit without the controversial UI if you want.

And while i don't like the UI, I have now used it with Start 8 on my fiance's pc to make it look like W7 for over a year now. I am convinced it is a step forward, and wil be putting 8.1 on my main rig soon, perhaps as quickly as this weekend.

Last edited:
System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
if i wanted one OS for everything id have an apple..
i really dont like these 1 UI for all things. but the horrible fact of the matter is we arent the target audience. the target audience is the mobile sector. AkA "teens" those idiots due to peer pressure will spend a fortune on mobiles and laptops every year. so MS really does want to make a UI that can work on all platforms. mobile phones/consoles/tablets/laptop/pc (and in that rough order)
Thats where the money is.. pc comes in a very decided last place. it is very much an after thought in reality. the desktop market is not something MS have needed to worry about in a long time. the vast majority will end up with a windows os because it will let them do the most stuff.
its the other markets they want to gain a bigger share of. and to them the way to do that is to assume. most people will use a pc/laptop at some point or a nother. so if all their devices use the same os. then they are more likeley to buy a windows phone/tablet because they will be familiar with it before they even start...

Personally i hat the idea. A desctop computer should not be using the same GUI/OS as a console/phone/tablet.
to me their priorities are backwards. but like i said i havent been their target market since around the mid 1990's. so i guess i just have to face the facts that things will change because the masses of unwashed disposable tech throw away society teens are marching with their ridiculous amounts of allowance and parents who will buy them what they ask for, and ms wants a slice of the action apple has. and the only real way to do that is to dumb down everything again and make it all one generic console looking OS that the current target market can use with one thumb.
And its just going to get worse every 5 years from here on in.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
About Ballmer BTW. He didn't do a bad job, all things considering. He could have been better, and he was no Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but they did triple their revenue during his time. They did some very bad things, but still. Could be way, WAY worse.

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
You seem to have a wild hair stuck up your butt. Let's examine reality for a moment.

Balmer, whether you agree with him or not, is not poor. That man made enough money for a lifetime with MS, even if you overlook the time when he ran the company. His severance likely totals more than what the average person will make in a lifetime. He also wasn't doing anything new. Years ago Apple rolled out a unified UI, and artists still praise that "innovation." MS wants the same uniform experience, but their implementation should have been less jarring. The unified UI isn't inherently a bad thing, but Balmer's push to unify the UI without regards to the user feedback was insanely detrimental.

UI and performance are very different things. A skull knob on the end of my gear shift lever doesn't make it faster than any other car, the engine and transmission do. Windows 8 better managed system resources, and therefore performed better. You can disagree with the implementation of the UI, but arguing that you threw it away and therefore there was no improvement is ignorant.

You believe your information is safe as long as you don't submit to the online stores? Perhaps you should withdraw farther from reality. In the last two years there have been giant breaches in credit card information security from brick and mortar stores. Somehow you are arguing that an online store is less secure. I submit that neither is truly secure, and you need to manage your data rather than moan about potential security breaches. That is the only acceptable way to address the reality of the situation.

Finally, "billions of others" disagree with what I am saying. This is, potentially, the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There are about 7.2 billion people currently on the planet. Assuming one in four can afford a computer for personal use, that's 1.8 billion potential computers. Assuming again that about half of these computer users can run windows, we've got a potential market of 0.9 billion computers. As MS has sold several hundred thousand copies of Windows 8, the numbers don't seem to add up to any sort of reality. Even people who agree that Windows 8 is not a good step forward (of which I am a member) have to call your foolishness here.

If you hate Windows 8, that's fine. If you're going to argue as to why it sucks, have a good reason. Screaming that is sucks "because" doesn't fix anything. Saying that the UI is backward tells the people designing the next OS something they can tackle. Without actual quantifiable goals you aren't moving towards a productive resolution.

Yea, I do have a bit of a hair today. I get one when people make statements like: "it runs better than 7 on almost everything that 7 runs on."
How in the hell can you make a statement like THAT?
I say bullcrap to that statement.
As far as my "billions" statement, I was making a point, not trying to be actual and factual there.

YOU SAID:
If you're going to argue as to why it sucks, have a good reason. Screaming that is sucks "because" doesn't fix anything.

I SAY:
Buddy, I've been thought this so many times before on here I am just going to drop it. Win 8 sucks donkeyballs, if you want to see my reasoning, take some time out and look at my previous posts about why.
I'm done for today, thanks for your input though.
Whoops, Balmer also sucks donkeyballs, but now he does it in a soup line.

About Ballmer BTW. He didn't do a bad job, all things considering. He could have been better, and he was no Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, but they did triple their revenue during his time. They did some very bad things, but still. Could be way, WAY worse.

I agree. Ballmer (I feel foolish for misspelling it so many times) was a decent thing for corporate MS. My problem is that he lacked any sort of vision. He was excellent at cutting corners, forcing productivity, and getting MS products out to marketing.

My comment about vision is where there is a problem. Ballmer pushed for a unified UI, rather than a UI with some shared elements. That's great if there's one method of input (touch screens), but terrible if there are several input options. Ballmer stood by the Xbox, whenever they went out to gamers and sold a TV box. He signed off on the always online requirement, and instead of getting information together and presenting why this would be a worthwhile revolution he allowed them to back down when people raised their ire. Ballmer presided over the first period in a decade where MS could really get together and crush competitors (read: anti-trust requirements finally expired), but instead of consolidating their grip on the market they've floundered between serving their old markets and copying the success of others (read: Apple).

Ballmer lacked vision. Ballmer was an excellent accountant. Whether you like them or not, Gates and Jobs had both vision and accounting skills. Hopefully the next person who runs MS has some vision.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea, I do have a bit of a hair today. I get one when people make statements like: "it runs better than 7 on almost everything that 7 runs on."
How in the hell can you make a statement like THAT?
I say bullcrap to that statement.

It's true. Seriously. It's like when you turn off all the eye candy in Windows 7, it runs that good even on slower machines.