1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Issues with Asus HD4870x2 in World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by WiredDrummer, Aug 5, 2014.

1. WiredDrummer

Thanks Received:
    Hello there.

I've been looking everywhere for answers, because it looks like a common problem, but I can't seem to find one. My current setup is:

Intel Core2Quad Q9300 @ 2.50Ghz
    Asus P5Q
    Asus HD4870x2 (I believe it is the EAH4870X2 TOP version)
    3GB RAM

The Catalyst version is 13.9

I've been playing Skyrim with settings on High really good, but when I change to WoW, I get about 50/60fps max with settings at Good. Shouldn't I be able to run it in Ultra with those or more fps? Some people say it can be cpu bottleneck (in other configurations), other say it's driver related. Anyone here with a solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    What resolution? I played WoW on my Q9550 system @ 4.0GHz on my 4870X2 when I had it.

Also, be aware that WoW is very CPU sensitive. Push your clocks up higher and you should see performance increases.

EDIT: Also, WoW is likely using V-Sync, which will limit your framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor, which is likely a 60Hz panel.

3. WiredDrummer

Thanks Received:
    I'm playing at 1920x1080 and the refresh rate is 60Hz. V-sync is disabled, and I tried messing with it both on and off, and both dx9 and dx11. How was the performance on your computer?

Thanks

4. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Never had performance issues on the machine at the time. You may need to force v-sync off in your CCC if you're able, I know WoW was weird in that regard if I recall correctly.

But as I said, WoW is very CPU dependent. I'm willing to bet if you increased your CPU clock speed you'd see the performance increase in your framerates.

WiredDrummer says thanks.
  5. WiredDrummer

Thanks Received:
    I have forced V-sync off and did see some frame improvement, but, overall, I guess it's like you said: CPU dependent.

Thanks for the help!

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That 3GB of ram could be a limitation as well, but CPU is probably a bottleneck.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the 1GB of Vram is likely a limit as well, with ultra settings.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    good god 3gb ram...

where is the proper test? make a CCC profile to disable CF & see if & by how much WoW runs slower