1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

issues with video quality with new LCD monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kashinsd, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kashinsd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I just bought a new Samsung T190 LCD monitor to replace my old Samsung CRT monitor. My old monitor was pretty good and have some pretty solid pictures and good video quality even on the low res online video clips from youtube and what not. Now that I have this new one, the quality is definitely better for games and such. As for tose online video clips, my video quality seems to be worse. I don't know if it's because my screen is bigger now and can see more of the flaws of the video, or is some setting issue. Can anyone help?

2. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What cable are you using to connect to it?

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    it often takes an adjustment period to get used to watching video on an LCD as opposed to a CRT. the picture can appear "digitized" (blocky) or dark or too grainy

its pretty normal. i wonder what video card you're using? you can usually adjust video to play video at specific settings (separate from your regular monitor settings). also, if you have an LCD that is lower then 1680X1050 res these video imperfections may be a bit more noticeable

my new 22in LCD played video too bright, so i lowered the video gamma setting in my nvidia control panel. i also turned up the color saturation a bit. now i'm very happy with my picture

takes some getting used to

also, use the dvi cable to connect if possible

4. kashinsd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS and using the DVI cable. my computer is pretty new and had no problem with my old CRT mon. I'll try your suggestion psycho. thank you.

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure. and about those "low res youtube" video? and someone correct me if i'm wrong....but on a high res LCD i think they're going to look worse then on a lower res CRT. at least that is some of my experience. if you play them full screen. because the imperfections are that much more noticeable. and playing something that is say 640X480 or w/e full screen on a 1440X900 monitor or above will really bring out the flaws

on the other hand dvd's and HD content look pretty darn good on my LCD. other things kind of poopty. i have a tv tuner also. television looks quite nice :)