• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

It is scary to me that Windows Update is now flashing the computer's BIOS!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Knowing, and having experienced all the things that can go wrong with a BIOS update, it is scary that Microsoft is pushing BIOS updated through Windows Update.

I'm setting up a new Dell laptop and after getting booted into the desktop for the first time I connect to the internet and start installing Windows updates.

When they are done, I reboot to finish the updated and am greeted with an automated BIOS update screen!

When it finishes the BIOS update. The computer reboots, then just hangs at a blank black screen with the fan at 100% for about 3 minutes. Which is an eternity for someone who has seen a BIOS update go bad in the past. I knew to just leave it, but I wonder how many people would be impatient and hold the power button to kill the power. It finally POSTs to the Dell logo and boots normally.

At first I thought it might be the Dell assistant thing that did it, but looking at the Windows Update history it was clearly pushed out through Windows Update.

This, IMO, is a pretty dangerous path. It is scary to force a BIOS flash on the user with no way to opt out. What if the laptop was running on battery and I decided to restart, not knowing a BIOS updated had been downloaded in the background? Then the next thing I know the computer is doing a BIOS flash running on battery, which is definitely not advised! Maybe there is a system to detect the computer is on battery and cancel the flash? But somehow I doubt it.

I get it, security is important and all that, but damn this is just scary to me.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
My asus e203ma did it and it switched me from home to S mode, reason being is i couldnt access foxit reader, i wound up making a ms account, switched out of s mode and deleted the ms account.

I found out a way to install gpedit.msc on Home edition windows, i disabled auto os updates.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
My asus e203ma did it and it switched me from home to S mode, reason being is i couldnt access foxit reader, i wound up making a ms account, switched out of s mode and deleted the ms account.

I found out a way to install gpedit.msc on Home edition windows, i disabled auto os updates.

You don't have to create a Microsoft account to disable S mode. In the Microsoft store when it pops up asking for a Microsoft account, just X out of the pop-up and it will let you install whatever you are trying to install. This work on anything marked Free in the MS Store. I know, they don't make it obvious, and it took me a while to figure it out too.

Simple answer; yes, it is scary!! Is there an "official" bios recent release from the manufacturers site?
I'm probably wrong; but does this have anything to do with Intel and the latest patches?
crazy stuff....all these patches; if they keep coming out; seems like CPU performance may start to become noticeable..

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
You don't have to create a Microsoft account to disable S mode. In the Microsoft store when it pops up asking for a Microsoft account, just X out of the pop-up and it will let you install whatever you are trying to install. This work on anything marked Free in the MS Store. I know, they don't make it obvious, and it took me a while to figure it out too.

Either way my trouble is fixed, the account is deleted but thanks for the tip

There is a sticky thread in the general software form about methods of how you can disable windows updates should you so desire, after bios and microcodes updates are being pushed trough windows update, disabling it was a must for me to have my peace with my machine

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I'm setting up a new Dell laptop and after getting booted into the desktop for the first time I connect to the internet and start installing Windows updates.

Which Dell Laptop Model?

I did an Inspiron 5593 last week with somewhat similar results.

I updated with Dell's utility: Bios, Audio, Intel Management Engine.

I used Intel's download App to try and install the newest Graphics Driver and it was rejected as not approved by Dell, (most likely Dell slow to approve) versions 25 to 26.

The following day I ran Windows Update again and saw the 1.2.0 Bios download from Windows, thought it was odd, and F2 into Bios to check version # to check if install was applied.
I think it went fine the first day and MS was double checking or recognizing that the new Bios was in fact installed.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Either way my trouble is fixed, the account is deleted but thanks for the tip

Yeah, if you've already created the account, it is kind of moot. But it helps people in the future, or heck even if you have the account it is quicker to just X out than type the username and password.
Which Dell Laptop Model?

It was a Inspiron 7580.

There is a sticky thread in the general software form about methods of how you can disable windows updates should you so desire, after bios and microcodes updates are being pushed trough windows update, disabling it was a must for me to have my peace with my machine

I have no real interest in disabling Windows Update, especially not on laptops I'm deploying to users. Because it's important to get the updates. The security and microcode updates are important. But I don't think Microsoft should be pushing BIOS updates. Or if they do, they should make it more clear what they are and that there are more risks associated with installing them and make them optional to the user.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah, if you've already created the account, it is kind of moot. But it helps people in the future, of heck even if you have the account it is quicker to just X out than type the username and password.

True, i just didnt see that option, i might of been on 1903 even. Either way im keeping on 7 or going reactos/linux. Ms has screwed its user base time and time again with ME/Vista, 8/.1/10.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Yeah, if you've already created the account, it is kind of moot. But it helps people in the future, of heck even if you have the account it is quicker to just X out than type the username and password.

It was a Inspiron 7580.

I have no real interest in disabling Windows Update, especially not on laptops I'm deploying to users. Because it's important to get the updated. The security and microcode updates are important. But I don't think Microsoft should be pushing BIOS updates. Or if they do, they should make it more clear what they are and that there are more risks associated with installing them and make them optional to the user.
There used be an option in WU to update hardware or not. WHat I think happened is that Dell pushed the BIOS update not m$( *gasp* ).

EDIT:I no longer see the option to opt-out of hardware updates.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Yeah, automatic BIOS updates would indeed be scary. Most people advise never to update the BIOS, unless you have a specific issue somewhere that the patch notes claim to correct. The chances are high there's going to be quite a few bricked computers floating around...

Ugh, combine stuff like this and the software toolkits that are being baked into UEFI these days and... I don't like the direction this is going...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Meh, I noticed it on my laptop pretty cool! Doesn't seem to affect desktops at all which makes alot more sense. That said it started doing it for me almost a year ago(?) I want to say, and my laptop gets relatively frequent BIOS updates and no issues here.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And do you think Microsoft goes out to Dell and ASUS and 100s of other manufacturers and demands they provide updates for their 1000s of different products to include in WU?

What happens is Dell, ASUS and the others submit those updates to Microsoft to include them in WU. So I think it important to put the blame (if blame is the right word) where it belongs. Microsoft is responsible for Windows' own native drivers. Beyond that, it is up to the various hardware makers.

Granted, I would not be surprised if Microsoft "strongly encourages" makers provide BIOS and driver updates because, as newtekie1 puts it, "security is important". The problem for Microsoft is when any problem occurs, regardless if security related or just hardware compatibility related, Microsoft knows they will be blamed whether or not it had anything to do with Windows. So they would rather be blamed for keeping our computers current than letting them become outdated.

That said, most BIOS updates have nothing to do with security. Most just add support for new CPUs and RAM, etc. that came out after the board left the factory. Oh well. That's another issue.

I do agree it is scary but the facts are, WU really does have an outstanding track record. It has worked flawlessly each and every time for 100s of millions of users!

For sure, if Dell wanted to give you the option to flash your BIOS or not, they could have programmed their update routine to provide you a prompt. So is it Microsoft's fault Dell did not provide a way to opt out of that update?

Yes, it is scary but only because we've heard the horror stories about what might happen. But the reality is, when looking at the big picture, those problems are extremely rare.

Years ago, I was probably one of the most hands-on windows "tweaker" out there. I became very proficient digging around inside and making changes in the Registry without bricking Windows. I insisted I control everything going on with my computers.

But with my clients, I took a "do as I say and not as I do" attitude with them - so I could understand better, the configuration and state of their computers - should problems arise. And because many, sadly, didn't understand the irreversible power of Regedit. After W7 came out, I started to realize as more and more of my clients left the Windows defaults alone, they kept having fewer problems or even totally trouble-free service from their computers - or at least fewer or no problems totally unrelated to the OS.

So beginning with W10, I started heeding my own advice and starting leaving the defaults alone for all my computers too. I have 6 computers here. Three were upgraded from W7 to W10, three built new with W10. Not one has broke due to a Windows Update. At worst, a couple have locked up but resolved with a simple reboot.

I think Windows Update might be one of those areas where it would be best if we were all totally naive, and just have faith it will work. Because odds are, it will.

The chances are high there's going to be quite a few bricked computers floating around...
I don't agree. I am sure a conservative estimate would be we've flashed motherboards here 400 or more times over the last 7 or 8 years. Not one has "bricked". Not one! Even 15 years ago, it was pretty rare. The facts are, motherboard/chipset makers have taken some pretty extreme measures to ensure program integrity during the flash process - so nothing is permanent until the system ensures all is good, or that it can be safely rolled back.

It's not like 25+ years ago when a bricked motherboard required replacing the EPROM/EEPROM with a new one from the factory.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
And do you think Microsoft goes out to Dell and ASUS and 100s of other manufacturers and demands they provide updates for their 1000s of different products to include in WU?

What happens is Dell, ASUS and the others submit those updates to Microsoft to include them in WU. So I think it important to put the blame (if blame is the right word) where it belongs. Microsoft is responsible for Windows' own native drivers. Beyond that, it is up to the various hardware makers.

Granted, I would not be surprised if Microsoft "strongly encourages" makers provide BIOS and driver updates because, as newtekie1 puts it, "security is important". The problem for Microsoft is when any problem occurs, regardless if security related or just hardware compatibility related, Microsoft knows they will be blamed whether or not it had anything to do with Windows. So they would rather be blamed for keeping our computers current than letting them become outdated.

That said, most BIOS updates have nothing to do with security. Most just add support for new CPUs and RAM, etc. that came out after the board left the factory. Oh well. That's another issue.

I do agree it is scary but the facts are, WU really does have an outstanding track record. It has worked flawlessly each and every time for 100s of millions of users!

For sure, if Dell wanted to give you the option to flash your BIOS or not, they could have programmed their update routine to provide you a prompt. So is it Microsoft's fault Dell did not provide a way to opt out of that update?

Yes, it is scary but only because we've heard the horror stories about what might happen. But the reality is, when looking at the big picture, those problems are extremely rare.

Years ago, I was probably one of the most hands-on windows "tweaker" out there. I became very proficient digging around inside and making changes in the Registry without bricking Windows. I insisted I control everything going on with my computers.

But with my clients, I took a "do as I say and not as I do" attitude with them - so I could understand better, the configuration and state of their computers - should problems arise. And because many, sadly, didn't understand the irreversible power of Regedit. After W7 came out, I started to realize as more and more of my clients left the Windows defaults alone, they kept having fewer problems or even totally trouble-free service from their computers - or at least fewer or no problems totally unrelated to the OS.

So beginning with W10, I started heeding my own advice and starting leaving the defaults alone for all my computers too. I have 6 computers here. Three were upgraded from W7 to W10, three built new with W10. Not one has broke due to a Windows Update. At worst, a couple have locked up but resolved with a simple reboot.

I think Windows Update might be one of those areas where it would be best if we were all totally naive, and just have faith it will work. Because odds are, it will.

I don't agree. I am sure a conservative estimate would be we've flashed motherboards here 400 or more times over the last 7 or 8 years. Not one has "bricked". Not one! Even 15 years ago, it was pretty rare. The facts are, motherboard/chipset makers have taken some pretty extreme measures to ensure program integrity during the flash process - so nothing is permanent until the system ensures all is good, or that it can be safely rolled back.

It's not like 25+ years ago when a bricked motherboard required replacing the EPROM/EEPROM with a new one from the factory.

Yeah I see your points but you missed his.

This is not the same as a user enacted bios update.
The laptop user as newteckie says is likely to be less savy ,and that black screen hang for a bit would get a reboot off some, others as he says might not realise such an update is best done with a full battery, these are not the same circumstances as you flashing so many bios fine.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No, I got his point completely.

Even if he manually prompted the update, there's a good chance there would have been a black screen delay then too. So what's the difference?

His point was he was concerned about these automatic updates. My point was, the odds are, no problems will occur if we just let Windows do its thing.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
The main difference is that an average user who is automatically doing a BIOS update, without his knowledge, may attempt to forcibly restart the computer when he sees strange behavior unknown to him. You don't normally get a long black screen after a windows update. If he were to perform a BIOS update manually, he would be much more likely to expect odd behavior.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
You sure that dell updater didn't force it? I'm using 5590 at work and it can push things like that if you won't notice.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
You sure that dell updater didn't force it? I'm using 5590 at work and it can push things like that if you won't notice.

It would have had to initiate the BIOS update using Windows as a proxy for security.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well, with a pushed update comes responsibility. If Dell bricks your PC with a forced update, they need to restore it.

But yes, its yet another small step for corporate kind, but a huge leap for our degree of control.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Maybe there is a system to detect the computer is on battery and cancel the flash?

Usually yes there is. Not sure about dells but HPs and AMIBIOS offer such a facility.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The main difference is that an average user who is automatically doing a BIOS update, without his knowledge, may attempt to forcibly restart the computer when he sees strange behavior unknown to him.
Nobody is denying that. But an average user doing a manual BIOS update WITH his knowledge may forcibly restart the computer too. So its the same difference. Plus, you are basing this on strange behavior (excessively long black screen) happening. That in itself is rare.
If he were to perform a BIOS update manually, he would be much more likely to expect odd behavior.
Now you are assuming average users do BIOS updates. I would not make that assumption at all. Most users would not even think of doing a BIOS update, unless something else broke and probably not even then.

Regardless, not the point. The point I was making is Windows Update works the vast majority of the time for the vast majority of users. Also, the vast majority of users don't want to manually mess with updates. They want their computer to just work, just like their TVs and phones.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
It's time like this that I miss having a BIOS write enable/disable jumper on my motherboard....

I have had far to many experiences with Windows Updates putting boxes on my workbench. When Win 10 came out, i spent far too much time fixing items that broke in that 1st week or so.

One of the big ones was nVidia drivers ... users had a new driver installed and they could no longer use SLI. Going to the nVidia site and downloading the latest driver on their web site ... which was weeks older than MS's driver, fixed the problem ... until WU replaced again leaving them in a frustrating loop battle. Since then, no box leaves the workbench w/o having Hardware Driver Updates disabled. t hasn't gotten much better.

Still have problems here w/ other WUs ... KB4512506 was released w/ KB4474419 but if you let it auto install your system rebooted to a repair. Problem was if ya didn't install 4419 1st, reboot and install 2506, the repair on subsequent reboot was unavoidable. Still about 20% of the Win 7 boxes we've seen will not install 2506. Been 3 months over which I been searching forums for a solution ... none found as of yet.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
WHat I think happened is that Dell pushed the BIOS update not m$( *gasp* ).

It was definitely pushed by Microsoft not Dell.

The blame rests on Microsoft because the updates are coming through their update system and they don't allow people to properly opt-out of that system or even properly warn people about what is going on and what is going to happen.

Microsoft is also allowing BIOS updates through the system, which they shouldn't. Driver updates through WU is very different than BIOS updates at this point.

I disagree with this. BIOS updates are still risky, and powering down a system in the middle of an update is going to brick it. There are some ways to recover from a bad flash, depending on the system-board manufacturer(e.g. ASUS' Flashback system). I'm not aware of many pre-built systems that have those systems though.

It is definitely not true that nothing is permanent until the system ensures all is good. You are still writing an eprom and there is no redundancy for the most part.

We, as enthusiasts and professionals, know not to turn the system off in the middle of a flash. Which is why you don't see a whole lot of issue. But turn it off in the middle of a flash, at the wrong time, and you got yourself a $1,000 paperweight.

The main difference is that an average user who is automatically doing a BIOS update, without his knowledge, may attempt to forcibly restart the computer when he sees strange behavior unknown to him. You don't normally get a long black screen after a windows update. If he were to perform a BIOS update manually, he would be much more likely to expect odd behavior.

Nobody is denying that. But an average user doing a manual BIOS update WITH his knowledge may forcibly restart the computer too. So its the same difference. Plus, you are basing this on strange behavior (excessively long black screen) happening. That in itself is rare.

The thing that bothers me is I can definitely see a user freaking out at the BIOS update screen and even though it says to not power off the computer, they'd freak out and do it anyway. I mean, how many viruses pop up with a big window saying don't power down your computer blah blah blah. And I've definitely encountered users that when they saw that, they immediately powered down the computer.

It's a screen they've ever seen before and weren't prepared or expecting to see.

Yes, it was definitely pushed through Windows Update. It was listed under the Windows Update history once the computer rebooted.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
The blame rests on Microsoft because the updates are coming through their update system and they don't allow people to properly opt-out of that system or even properly warn people about what is going on and what is going to happen.

Microsoft is also allowing BIOS updates through the system, which they shouldn't. Driver updates through WU is very different than BIOS updates at this point.
Thats been my beef with m$ for a long time, they think they know whats best for everyone, power users be damned. When m$ removed the opt-out for hardware updates, I think they disguised as some other setting. I havent taken the time to look for it since I just block WU manually.