• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

It was a good call going red

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
This is stupid. It doesn't matter what it writes on top of what you're buying. I buy parts, not brands.

Yes, AMD does offer the best P/P, which is why I also find myself suggesting them more. That said though, nVidia is more reliable on drivers and if you want "the" best, then the 580 is currently that card.

Still, if you can find reference 6950/6970's, they indeed are a better option for most users. They have Volterra Digital PWM's, more vRAM, better scaling and such. Shame that it's hard to find reference anymore. XFX for example changed their design to V2 under their 6970. Diamond's 6970 is reference and is a great GPU.

I didn't know that speaking in single context meant sli.

J

John Doe

I didn't know that speaking in single context meant sli.

If we're talking about single GPU (as in the OP), then a 3 GB 580 is the best. Dual-GPU cards are an another story. It's about what to think of out of what you read.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
If we're talking about single GPU (as in the OP), then a 3 GB 580 is the best. Dual-GPU cards are an another story. It's about what to think of out of what you read.

I see, I read "best" and "card".

Too bad you haven't gone for the HD6950 2GB. They really aren't that more expensive. Yet it performs quite a lot faster. But still, i used to have HD6870 Toxic from Sapphire and even though it was very loud, it was also quite quick. I mostly missed EQAA modes that are only available on HD6900 parts. But then again i mostly use MLAA because hardly any game can use classic FSAA...

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
This is stupid. It doesn't matter what it writes on top of what you're buying. I buy parts, not brands.

Yes, AMD does offer the best P/P, which is why I also find myself suggesting them more. That said though, nVidia is more reliable on drivers and if you want "the" best, then the 580 is currently that card.

Still, if you can find reference 6950/6970's, they indeed are a better option for most users. They have Volterra Digital PWM's, more vRAM, better scaling and such. Shame that it's hard to find reference anymore. XFX for example changed their design to V2 under their 6970. Diamond's 6970 is reference and is a great GPU.

I wouldn't exaclty call it stupid - it's simply a matter of personal preference. After spending the $400-$500 on a VooDoo years ago (the equivalent of today's $800-$900), then having nVidia buy out 3DFX and completely dropping support of the cards only a few months later (and refuse to release any new drivers) . . . coupled with the support headaches I've run into with a few of my father's cards . . . add in how draconian they are with some of their hardware compatibilities, and I simply won't support the company.

Much like how there's countless users out there who don't want to purchase Creative hardware, or people who won't support this product or that.

Personal preference isn't dumb, everyone has their prefered brands and equipment - some stick to specific hardware brans because of the reliability, some because of price, some because of ease of use or whatever.

Regarding the drivers - years ago it was the other way around. ATI's drivers were much more reliable (not sure what the hell has happened to them over the last year or so), and they were also released around the same time every month. nVidia has gotten better about more scheduled releases, and access to betas, and their reliability has improved . . . but it still hasn't changed my opinion of them. I'm willing to recommend their stuff if I feel it's beneficial to someone based on their needs, but that's the extent of it.

:toast:

I suggest that if you view hardware as a monotheistic choice, then you oughta see a head doctor :p Or go visit Apple's Genius Bar and see what dark places it can lead to.

You funnah trollin - you know how we all roll around here :p