1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Itchy Upgrade Fingers

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by FreedomEclipse, Jul 1, 2014.

?

What should I upgrade to now?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2014.
  1. Single 780Ti now, another later when prices drop when Maxwell is released

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 780Ti in SLi NOW!!!!

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Wait for Maxwell.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I have 2GB 680s in SLi - However, I feel that the 2GB is somewhat limiting my performance in general.

Now I have been told to wait for Maxwell, I honestly want to! but nobody knows when Maxwell is going to be released and even then it wont be the high-end cards that get released first and the mid-range cards that do get released first wont be that much faster then what we currently have now.

So with that in mind, would it still be worth going 780Ti in SLi or should I really be holding out for Haswell?

I just really feel the need to upgrade. A lot of people on other forums say wait for Maxwell, but I wanted a TPU opinion!!

Thanks for sharing

:EDIT:

Excuse the 'Haswell' in the vote, Apparently my mind was was in 2 different places at once when i made this thread eyeing up some B grade 780Ti's on the cheap

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I'm a little confused by you poll... You say wait for Haswell? It was released last year, are you sure you didn't mean to wait for Maxwell?

If you do, then by all means, wait for Maxwell :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:

My bad, Indeed, i meant wait for Maxwell

4. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's what I thought... GK110 is getting really long on the tooth, you'll regret investing $700+ with Maxwell just around the corner, just saying...

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. 64K

Thanks Received:
    The 2 GB is probably the limiting factor at your resolution in the future. I don't know what the GTX 870/880 will bring but my guess is it will be at least 3GB maybe 4gb. Most likely you can expect a decent bump in performance too over what we have now but the leap in performance will come with 20nm Maxwell but that's probably a year down the road.

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well theres no solid info on Maxwell's release date other then the fact that it got pushed back. A lot of forums ive trawled through trying to satisfy my own question have said that its not going to come out until Q1/Q2 of 2015 - Or at least this is the case with the high end units. the mid range might be out before the end of the year. but general consensus seems to be that the mid range wont be any much faster then what we currently have and that Maxwell is more to do with being more power efficient while performing at the same level as the current gen of graphic cards.

loads of speculation doesnt help my urges

7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Id get one 780Ti now, that should hold over over till 20nm Maxwell is released.

8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You are welcome

9. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    GM104 will most likely be released this year, it'll be a 28nm part and will most likely be a 4GB card on a 256bit bus, this card will be the 880, we will most likely not see 20nm parts until Q1/Q2 of 2015 at the earliest, these cards will be based on the GM110 GPU, but not much is known about it's specs at this time.

The 28nm 880 will most likely compare favorably to the almost two years old GK110 the 780 is based on, in terms of both performance and power efficiency. Think of it as comparing your 680 to the Fermi based 580, Kepler parts are much more efficient, even though GF110 was a bigger and more complex GPU, it was handily beat by the mid range GK104, and like you said, Maxwell will continue that trend.

Now, it appears to me like you want to upgrade your 680s now, if money is not an issue, then by all means go for a 780ti, bear in mind though that you'll just get a measly GB extra, and though a single 780ti might beat dual 680s in games that don't support SLI, most current games do have SLI profiles, and your cards are faster in such scenario. My 680s run any current game maxed out, but the 2GBs buffer force me to lower texture details in games like skyrim, watch dogs and titanfall to name a few.

In a year or so, two 3GBs 780tis will be basically facing the same dilemma when games aim for cards with 4GBs of VRAM or more.

Spending $700 now and maybe a little less in a few months when Maxwell is released only sounds like a stopgap measure to me, and chances are in 12-18 months you'll be having the same issues you have with your 680s.

Vario and FreedomEclipse say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Sidegrading to 4gb 770s is also an option since 680s are so powerful in a pair.

I guess its better to sit on my hands and see what turns up in the next few months

11. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I intend to wait for Maxwell and buy two 870's in SLI, in hopes that they are more powerful together than a single 780 (maybe 150% performance improvement?) and use less power. If they don't provide much more power than a 780 in a pair, I'll just buy an 880, unless it's horribly expensive.

780ti doesn't even remotely tempt me at its current price, especially considering the competition.

12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well ive been riding this pair of 680s for well over a year now and if i didnt upgrade my monitor then i wouldnt of had the urge to upgrade my 680s (snowballed I guess) and I know i should hang on for maxwell. but I feel that 2GB Vram isnt enough for me and im stubborn and dont want want to tone down my texture settings :p

Im stupid I know. but Its driving me nuts

13. razr m3

razr m3

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to turn down the settings! I paid good money to enjoy it maxxed out! :p

I've got a 770 2GB and I get uncomfortably close to filling up the VRAM at 1200p on some games. Buuuuut, being only "some" games (okay, more like 3 or 4 games) that fill that framebuffer are out, you should be able to ride your 680s to Maxwells release. Then I'd thank them for taking you this far and upgrade.

14. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Hey Freedom same exact situation here. SLI has been fine but recently the VRAM has become an issue. I've looked at single card solutions such as R290X and 780TI, though there's only very few cases where they match the raw frames capability of two 680s. The only benefit comes in those several games where you require the additional VRAM. If however you only play a handful of games, such as Skyrim, where the texture memory takes priority over the brute horsepower, then I would be confident that a single 290x/780ti would be your best option. You'll get enough frames AND the VRAM upgrade.

If you want something for a large selection of titles, and some future proofing, then you're going to have to jump back on the roller coaster technology ride and fork out for another SLI upgrade or equivalent with this generation of card. Waiting for Maxwell (which seems to be more of a compute upgrade than anything), may be unwise. And if all goes well, the REAL architecture change comes with Pascal in hopefully 2016sh. Any current cards in multi gpu setup will last until then.

I am close to going with two R9 290 in Crossfire, is it is definitely an upgrade in every way. My only concern there is the power draw and efficiency compared to 680 SLI is really poor. 850 watts for two cards is asking a lot these days since we've been treated to low consumption for the past few years.

Alternatively, consider two 4GB 770s?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I was actually considering 2 4GB 770s as they can had for dirt cheap but i dunno. I may as well wait for maxwell to see if it drops prices of 770s or 780s a little more.

16. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    You could try and get lucky in buying a cheap NVIDIA GTX Titan that is functioning properly, but of course it is risky. Could be worth trying given that the Titan hasn't entirely been beaten by the current gen and has 6GB of VRAM. Otherwise it is better to wait for next gen as they will be out later this year and upgrading from one gen to next is normally not worth it in terms of overall value of investment in current graphics cards.

17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    He has two options that are worth while.

A) Find used 4GB versions of his 680s or some 770s. If it's not too much hassle to sell off his current cards. The net value he loses should be fairly insignificant.
    B) Buy used cards like the R9 290, or 280x.

Even when next series cards are launched, A) They'll be new, at a new price B) They'll be new, meaning a premium price as well C) Last generation cards will still hold their value for a while longer D) He may not need that horsepower - particularly because his main interest is VRAM capacity, not brute speed.

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I am sure you can wait till early next year.. 2 680's are not bad at all begin with so.. Pointless throwing money away.

Just sit tight and wait for 20nm.

19. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    See my previous post..

I'll bite on this. Why wait till 'next year?' What he wants specifically is available right now, for not much more money.

20. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Well when does he stop upgrading? It seems pointless to me. Wait till Maxwell or whatever is after. I doubt the extra 1gb of ram in a 780 is going to do anything for your experience. If you have problems don't run ultra textures but max everything else out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    He's using 2 680's should be every bit good enough so waiting till 20nm is out and the extra performance would be worth the wait. And there is no reason at all to upgrade a video card every series just burning money.

As you know what his next requirement will be a faster card.

22. badhomaks New Member

Thanks Received:
    A 780ti is worse than 680 sli so that'd be pretty stupid to "upgrade". Seeing as you have 680 in SLI no point getting the 780ti and just wait for maxwell as your current setup can run most games at 60fps on nearly everything high.

23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It's a vram thing with the card being 2GB and some games are taking most or wanting more these days. But still a good 2GB video card get ya though to next year.

24. badhomaks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, a 2GB card will last you a few more years providing you don't crank up the AA to ridiculous levels or play at super high resolutions. My 670 had no problems with any games that I ran except for watch dogs but that was due to optimization not vram (even titans had problems with it with 6gb of ram albeit slightly less). Unless all of the upcoming games will look like uncharted 4.

25. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The only games that have had real serious documented problems with 2GB ram limit are games that suck: Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein, BF4.

10 Year Member at TPU