• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

It's now legal in the US to Crack Games, and rip DVD movies!

Perseid

Processor i7-870
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212
Memory 2x OCZ Special Ops 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 470
Storage Numerous 1.5 and 2 TB
Display(s) HP w2338h
Case NZXT Lexa S
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series 950W
Software Windows 7
Anyway, I'm absolutely spent on this subject and I think it's been beaten beyond the grave. The maggots feasting on the corpse are already dead. Several trees have grown and died here. Amazingly though there is a group of lawyers in the corner and they're still working... They're soulless people and they smell like cabbage. A couple of them are talking about how if they weren't lawyers they'd be investment bankers.

It's Stephen King! :)

T

twilyth

If you made a copy of a DVD and adhered to the two points I mentioned the MPAA would have a very difficult time winning in court, provided you had as much walking around money and free time as they do. This seems to be consistent with rulings regarding other types of recordings.

I don't see how you can make that statement when there are no cases on point. If there are cases regarding other types of media that are similar, then that was the sort of thing I was asking you to share several posts back. Although for the MPAA to have the stated position that they do, I have assume they are easily distinguishable.

streetfighter 2

I don't see how you can make that statement when there are no cases on point. If there are cases regarding other types of media that are similar, then that was the sort of thing I was asking you to share several posts back. Although for the MPAA to have the stated position that they do, I have assume they are easily distinguishable.

Oh for ****s sake.

MGE UPS SYSTEMS INC. v. GE CONSUMER AND INDUSTRIAL INC
The DMCA prohibits only forms of access that would violate or impinge on the protections that the Copyright Act otherwise affords copyright owners.

The DMCA does not mention anything about making a personal backup, as in, it is not a protection afforded copyright holders. So provided the backup is used in a manner which is noninfringing it is legal.

The MPAA's position is that they have quite a lot of money, and that they do. Circumvention tools are really the central problem, as most of them have been outlawed. This is also the most likely reason why RealDVD settled.

Ultimately I think my first post which attempted to explain the whole affair in a few sentences is still 100% accurate.

**** this. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep.

Here's some literature for you to read:
http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/betamax/ <-- The original
http://w2.eff.org/IP/P2P/ <-- Particularly MGM v Grokster

T

twilyth

Oh for ****s sake.

MGE UPS SYSTEMS INC. v. GE CONSUMER AND INDUSTRIAL INC
The DMCA prohibits only forms of access that would violate or impinge on the protections that the Copyright Act otherwise affords copyright owners.

The DMCA does not mention anything about making a personal backup, as in, it is not a protection afforded copyright holders. So provided the backup is used in a manner which is noninfringing it is legal.

The MPAA's position is that they have quite a lot of money, and that they do. Circumvention tools are really the central problem, as most of them have been outlawed. This is also the most likely reason why RealDVD settled.

Ultimately I think my first post which attempted to explain the whole affair in a few sentences is still 100% accurate.

**** this. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep.

Here's some literature for you to read:
http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/betamax/ <-- The original
http://w2.eff.org/IP/P2P/ <-- Particularly MGM v Grokster

I'm so sorry you're exasperated but you are misleading people by giving them the impression that this issue is clear cut.

The case you cited is not on point.

The Court held that

1. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act's provisions on circumventing technological measures protecting copyrighted work "prohibits only forms of access that would violate or impinge on the protections that the Copyright Act otherwise affords copyright owners." You can get a copy of the Act here (pdf) and a summary of it's contents here (pdf).
2. The plaintiffs' claims for damages for copyright and misappropriation of trade secrets claims could not be sustained based upon evidence of the wrongdoer's gross revenues.

"prohibits only forms of access that would violate or impinge on the protections that the Copyright Act otherwise affords copyright owners."

the whole issue here is what rights does the copyright holder have and what rights does the purchaser have. All this case does in that regard is state that it depends on the statute - which we already know.

edit: oh, and I already have a law degree so I don't do assigned reading unless I'm reasonably sure it isn't just busy work.

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I rip my own DVDs and use No-DVD cracks for my games regardless of country or law so sue me. Actually don't, I spent all my money on these games and DVDs I bought.

John Phoenix

(1) Motion pictures on DVDs that are lawfully made and acquired and that are protected by the Content Scrambling System when circumvention is accomplished solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment, and where the person engaging in circumvention believes and has reasonable grounds for believing that circumvention is necessary to fulfill the purpose of the use in the following instances:
(i) Educational uses by college and university professors and by college and university film and media studies students;
(ii) Documentary filmmaking;
(iii) Noncommercial videos

Fan Edits.

If you do not know a Fan Edit is a movie that has been edited to try to make a better flowing film. For instance There are many Fan Edits of Star Wars movies to recolor the light sabers because in the 2004 dvd version instead of red and blue they were pink and green.

Some guy made a Fan Edit of one because he didn't like the kiss between Luke and Leia and another removed the Jarjar Binks footage of him becoming a general.

Many times a Fan Edit is the whole entire theatrical version of a movie with deleted scenes added in.

For Star Wars movies George Lucas has refused to press charges or take action. He even took a popular Fan Edit and resold it. I think he did credit the editor but refused to give him proceeds of the sales.

Just search Fan Edit on google and you will find lots of these movie sites. Most of them will have rapidshare links to thier movie versions. They will always tell you if you do not own the film legally do not download.. But.. there is nothing stopping you from doing so. (Thanks in part to George Lucas's attitude toward them)

Granted some of the recolor versions and other corrections are good to watch and do make a better film. I disagree with so much cutting out of or adding scenes.

Fan Edits tick me off. These are not short clips. They are not documentaries. And yet, the industry allows them to be put out in a format where anyone can access them.

In the past 2006 era one of these popular websites was called out for a DRM infringement and they took down their links and they were allowed to continue.. you just have to contact the editors privately now to get the links to their stuff or find the link someplace else. But nothing has been done since then and there are tons of Fan Edits of lots of different movies available.

I say video games with Mods should be the same way. A mod changes a game as much as any editing does for a Fan Edit version, so if you release a game with mods included it should fall under the same rules the industry uses for Fan Edits.

The thing that REALLY burns my buns is these Fan Edit guys do not think one bit that they are pirating copyrighted material. They call it a Art. Bullsh**.

I wish they would be honest pirates like the people who release video games and Know that they are breaking the law.

I can take any pc video game and make it into a portable ( no dvd needed) standalone version complete with enhancement mods, wrap it up in my own installer and upload it to Rapidshare. I have done this many times with old abandon ware games that are not longer covered by a DRM or copyright. A guess that makes me an artist too ! LOL
If I did it with a newer game, I'd have the law come down on me. This is exactly what these Fan Edit people are doing.