• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I've just bought an expensive NAS drive for data reliability

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Just change the fan to a quieter one and just use the one fan it only requires a few CFM to keep a drive cooler no need for a hurricane blowing through case

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, that would work. I think it runs cool enough now though. I'll keep an eye on those temps though.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
@phill Those Reds are pretty cool running drives. These Seagates run 40-46C and feel pretty hot to the touch. Ok, just checked now as I write this and the 8TB Seagate is showing 34C and only feels mildly warm. Still, my old 4TB Green definitely runs cooler, but also spins slower. I think because the room is just a couple of degees cooler, it's having a disproportionate effect on the temperature of the Seagate drive. I still think you might have to add an extra fan or two if you put these in your NAS box.

Note that these Seagates are 7200rpm drives and don't the Reds spin a bit slower, which would run them cooler?

Thanks for the mention @qubit :)

Any and all 3.5" drives I own I always make sure they are in a cage of some description with a fan on the front, even if it's not moving much air, moving some is better than none I thought so I think this helps with the drive temps, especially when the drives are being accessed. I do believe you are correct that the Reds do run slightly slower 5900rpm I think :)

Here's my current NAS box -

Apologises for the links, I'm at work so Imgur was the best I had :)
There's two 140mm fans at the front and then a 120mm at the back to take away the heat, or hopefully some of it :) I would like to try and get some better fans in there, but it does help if you give it a clean every so often as dust and such from it being 'up' or online 24/7 doesn't help..
One thing I have done is set the drives in Raid 1, then rather than having both drives together, I've put one on the left and one on the right, hoping that this might help with the heat that is produced and is a little more separated out.

It will fit in 8 drives on that side and then 2 more on the side with the motherboard. Ideally I'm going to try to replace all of the 6 Reds I have in there with 8 of the Seagates, I'm unsure of the size just yet I'd like to aim for 8Tb would be nice (again trying to decide on non Pro or Pro drives) but all in good time :) Saying that though I do think I'm running a little low on space so.... But I digress :)
Also definitely agree with your comment about the room being cooler, ambient temps will definitely have a factor on on cool/warm/hot drives or anything for that matter runs :)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Green drives are trash in my experiance. Why continue to use them if they have posted problems for you too?

WD Green is not trash. Just disable head parking.
I have 4x WD Green3TB (WD30EZRX) running 24/7 on 6th year now. In my hot-box (drives are 40-55C). Hardparking disabled day one. Not important data. I'm amazed they just keep working. Not a single bad sector or anything. Zero performance degradation.

I'd never trust Seagate drives. I have seen too many dead Seagate drives, both consumer and enterprise. Most drives die within warranty (or just after). Their warrenty is low on most drives for a reason. They are also noisy.

WD and HGST i what I use these days.

Get some WD Red or HGST NAS drives.
WD Red are (much) less noisy but slightly slower. If you need speed get WD Red Pro or HGST NAS.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No problem @phill You're right that only a little airflow is required to cool a HDD and raid 1 is definitely the way to go for a NAS box. I tried mobo RAID on my PC as an experiment a few years ago and actually got less reliability and lost a bit of data a couple of times. However, that had nothing to do with failings of the PC and everything to do with user error, with this unnamed user tending to unplug one of the RAID drives when rooting blind round the side of the PC (drives sit transversely in this case) while the PC was on, meaning to unplug another drive. Said unnamed user then in his (or her) befuddlement just replugged that drive in again while the PC was on and then wondered why the file system was borked! They shall remain anonymous...

I've therefore gone back to having just one main data drive, with suitable backup drives.

@las Yes, I figured that the reliability should go up if head parking was disabled. What utility did you use?

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No problem @phill You're right that only a little airflow is required to cool a HDD and raid 1 is definitely the way to go for a NAS box. I tried mobo RAID on my PC as an experiment a few years ago and actually got less reliability and lost a bit of data a couple of times. However, that had nothing to do with failings of the PC and everything to do with user error, with this unnamed user tending to unplug one of the RAID drives when rooting blind round the side of the PC (drives sit transversely in this case) while the PC was on, meaning to unplug another drive. Said unnamed user then in his (or her) befuddlement just replugged that drive in again while the PC was on and then wondered why the file system was borked! They shall remain anonymous...

I've therefore gone back to having just one main data drive, with suitable backup drives.

@las Yes, I figured that the reliability should go up if head parking was disabled. What utility did you use?

WD's own Wdidle3

Very easy

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
@qubit - I thought I'd just update you with a screen shot of the drive temps in the 804 :) I've just been doing a load of file movements and at the moment, I'm copying over 200Gb from the NAS to my PC.. I thought these might be of interest to you :)

1540122431113.png

I'm in the middle of having a big clear out on the server, I'm going to look into buying a few new NAS drives, but as yet, I'm not 100% sure which model to go for as for each volume I'm going to get 3 drives, two for the raid 1 and then one for a external backup copy. At the moment having 4Tb drives in the server and only 3Tb drives to back up to, isn't quite so ideal :( :laugh:

Got a few ideas of how I'm looking to save some space, been doing some testing with AAC vs MP3 and then I'm just going to work on my video collection to see if I can use any better formats for that and see if I can get the space down a little :) It's not ideal having everything in there (should have added another 2 drives so 4 volumes really) but I'm also curious whether or not anyone would think having a Raid 5 or 6 instead of the Raid 1, might be a better option?

Still any further updates with your choice of drives and how they are performing etc? :) Be great to hear from you :)