• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ivy Bridge Temperatures Could Be Linked To TIM Inside Integrated Heatspreader: Report

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't think we are in such numbers to do that. Most maisntream High end PC owners just buy them prebuilt or don't oc that much

most of them dont even know what overclocking is

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I don't think we are in such numbers to do that. Most maisntream High end PC owners just buy them prebuilt or don't oc that much

I think we are, because the only people that buy a K-series CPU are enthusiasts, since they cost more for the same stock performance. If the heat issue with IB is real on production models from 29th April, then you watch the 2700k sell out in no time flat. I said it here first! :toast:

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
am i the only 1 thinking this is so they dont blow sb-e out the water and lets them solder ib-e which is the top tier segment?

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
i have been saying this for a while now that the contact and efficiency of thermal contact with these CPUs sucks. You can tell if you do Ln2 the hug deltas.

NHKS

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.html - thermal guide for 3rd gen cpus

see topic "2 - Package Mechanical and Storage Specifications" and the use of TIM as per the image shown in the page

It says..
"The package components shown in Figure 2-1 include the following:
1. Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)
2. Thermal Interface Material (TIM)
3. Processor core (die)
4. Package substrate
5. Capacitors"

but whats puzzling is .. the doc for 2nd gen cpus (may 2011) virtually no diff
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/2nd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.html

Last edited:
System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.html - thermal guide for 3rd gen cpus

see topic "2 - Package Mechanical and Storage Specifications" and the use of TIM as per the image shown in the page

It says..
"The package components shown in Figure 2-1 include the following:
1. Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)
2. Thermal Interface Material (TIM)
3. Processor core (die)
4. Package substrate
5. Capacitors"

but whats puzzling is .. the doc for 2nd gen cpus (may 2011) virtually no diff
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/2nd-gen-core-lga1155-socket-guide.html

Could be wrong.

Processor Intel Core 8700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling Coolit FreezOne
Memory 32Gigs \ G Skill RipjawsV F4-3600C16
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080TI
Storage 2X Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD / 1Seagate 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F
Case Thermaltake Core X31 RGB Edition
Audio Device(s) RealTek HD \Steel Series Arctis 7
Power Supply Rosewill Quark Series 1000W Full Modular Power Supply with LED Indicator
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
You could take the tops off before with the solder. You just needed to put the proc on your electric stove and get to the right temp. I haven't done it in a very, very long time but I have performed the operation in my overclocking days.

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
You could take the tops off before with the solder. You just needed to put the proc on your electric stove and get to the right temp. I haven't done it in a very, very long time but I have performed the operation in my overclocking days.

Not worth ruining voiding the warranty or possibly destroying it.

Here is what happens when things don't go right.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
Ouch. You have to use a very thin razor on the gray glue stuff first, then heat the top. When you do it right you just grab the green PCB while it is still on the stove and it lifts right off without any prying or fuss. Obviously you want to put the heat spreader on the stove and not the PCB.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I wonder if Intel will add the new processors to there
Performance Tuning Protection Plan ?

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
Of course they will.

Unfortunately, this issue means that the 2700K will stay UP in price, not come down, since savvy enthusiasts will prefer this to IB. I now really don't want to overdrive mine too hard, to ensure that it has a long service life.
Aside from the fact that overclockers make up hardly ANY percentage of PC users, that would mean the 2700k and the 3770K would be priced the same. That makes no sense from a business/marketing perspective to me.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And shafted everyone else? Not a good trade I say

They didn't really shaft everyone else, the things still overclock pretty damn good, just not as good as expected.

And they pretty much shafted everyone else when they locked overclocking on every processor but the top two. Defeats the original purpose of overclocking. What is the point of taking a processor that is already super fast, way faster than anyone needs it to be, and making it faster? The idea of overclocking was to take a weaker processor and make it fast.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
And they pretty much shafted everyone else when they locked overclocking on every processor but the top two. Defeats the original purpose of overclocking. What is the point of taking a processor that is already super fast, way faster than anyone needs it to be, and making it faster? The idea of overclocking was to take a weaker processor and make it fast.

While I agree that the holy grail of mainstream overclocking is to make the cheap CPU perform like the top one to save some pennies, I disagree that Intel's strategy totally defeats the purpose of overclocking.

One can still take one of those K CPUs and make it work significantly faster. For example, my 2700K has a stock speed of 3.5GHz, but I have overclocked it easily to 5GHz, with no effort at all, just set the multiplier to 50 and reboot. Obviously, to a hardcore overclocker that's really interested in seeing what it can do, would probably get it to 5.5GHz or more at a guess (at the expense, of heat, power and fan noise, obviously). That's a massive step up from the stock speed, so yes it's still worth it.

In my particular case, I'm a very "casual" overclocker, so I backed it off a bit and run it at 4.8GHz, since the Asus mobo monitoring tool warned that the voltage was a bit on the high side.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
While I agree that the holy grail of mainstream overclocking is to make the cheap CPU perform like the top one to save some pennies, I disagree that Intel's strategy totally defeats the purpose of overclocking.

One can still take one of those K CPUs and make it work significantly faster. For example, my 2700K has a stock speed of 3.5GHz, but I have overclocked it easily to 5GHz, with no effort at all, just set the multiplier to 50 and reboot. Obviously, to a hardcore overclocker that's really interested in seeing what it can do, would probably get it to 5.5GHz or more at a guess (at the expense, of heat, power and fan noise, obviously). That's a massive step up from the stock speed, so yes it's still worth it.

In my particular case, I'm a very "casual" overclocker, so I backed it off a bit and run it at 4.8GHz, since the Asus mobo monitoring tool warned that the voltage was a bit on the high side.

Yes, but it defeats the purpose of overclocking because no one really needs anything beyond a 2700K. A 2700K at 3.5GHz is a beast of a CPU, it will handle everything without a problem. And the gains of overclocking it to 5.0GHz in real world use are very marginal. However, you will see far better gains from taking an i3 or Pentium from 3GHz to 5GHz. And that is what overclocking as for, to get performance gains in real world use, but now on the Intel side it has just turned into a dick wagging competition with people overclocking their processor simply to say that they have done it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
but now on the Intel side it has just turned into a dick wagging competition with people overclocking their processor simply to say that they have done it.

I agree very much. But...

non-K chips get +4 multi bins, so a little is offered. And yes, Intel "K"illed OC'ing, but that happened nearly 18 months ago. :p

So why complain now? It's not gonna change again...this is what we get!

Also, I remember some 10 years ago, when OC was far less popular than it is today, it was explained that OC was a way to get "tomorrow's performance today"(which still applies), not OC the snot outta a poor performer to make it a good performer...that's the cry of a broke man trying to get top-lev el performance for pennies, and that just doesn't fly with businesses that make multiples of millions of dollars.

I mean, really, for most, a PC is still a luxury, nevermind that machines that many of us have. There's literally no need for OC in the market right now. NONE. There's a little left over for the die-hards, but let me tell you...my personal rigs, more often than not, don't get no OC at all...there's just no point.

Reality Check! PC enthusiasts and OC'ers make for less than 10% of the market! Do more than 10% of chips OC?

Yep, they sure do!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yes, but it defeats the purpose of overclocking because no one really needs anything beyond a 2700K. A 2700K at 3.5GHz is a beast of a CPU, it will handle everything without a problem. And the gains of overclocking it to 5.0GHz in real world use are very marginal. However, you will see far better gains from taking an i3 or Pentium from 3GHz to 5GHz. And that is what overclocking as for, to get performance gains in real world use, but now on the Intel side it has just turned into a dick wagging competition with people overclocking their processor simply to say that they have done it.

It's a matter of horses for courses; this answer seriously isn't black and white or write or wrong. I agree that speeding up a weaker, cheaper processor is better, but you will still find people that gain real-world improvements from overclocking these CPUs and it's not all dick wagging. Folding@Home is just one example of where it will make a real, tangible difference. Of course, gaming is another, where you can't have too much horsepower and want to prevent those frame drops at all costs, especially if you're aiming for 120Hz, like I do - high end graphics card required, of course. :) I replaced my old E8500 specifically for this reason.

EDIT: Cad, you don't overclock your rigs? What?! :eek: Look, I'm blinking erratically in distress at this news, lol.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I complain now just like I complained then. And I thought only the ones with turbo-boost got the 4 extra bins(beyond the turbo-boost bins), or do they all get 4?

And while I agree somewhat with the getting tomorrows performance today, it was still used to see real world performance gains, even the high end processors saw real world performance gains, because hardware was behind software. That isn't the case today, hardware(especially Intel's) has far outpaced the software. Whether it was overclocking a high end processor or a low end, it was for a pretty noticeable performance gain. I still remember overclocking Ahtlon XP 3200+ chips to shave up to half an hour+ of video rendering, now doing the same to an i7 shaves maybe 30 seconds.

And, yes, I completely agree that most people do not overclock. But I'm just talking about the people that would care that there is TIM under the heatspreader vs solder. The idea was said to be to help with extreme overclockers while shafting everyone else, which I assumed to mean everyone else that overclocks, not everyone in the world that will use the processor. Obviously, as you said, this doesn't affect 90% of the people that will end up using these processor.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I complain now just like I complained then. And I thought only the ones with turbo-boost got the 4 extra bins(beyond the turbo-boost bins), or do they all get 4?

And while I agree somewhat with the getting tomorrows performance today, it was still used to see real world performance gains, even the high end processors saw real world performance gains, because hardware was behind software. That isn't the case today, hardware(especially Intel's) has far outpaced the software. Whether it was overclocking a high end processor or a low end, it was for a pretty noticeable performance gain. I still remember overclocking Ahtlon XP 3200+ chips to shave up to half an hour+ of video rendering, now doing the same to an i7 shaves maybe 30 seconds.

And, yes, I completely agree that most people do not overclock. But I'm just talking about the people that would care that there is TIM under the heatspreader vs solder. The idea was said to be to help with extreme overclockers while shafting everyone else, which I assumed to mean everyone else that overclocks, not everyone in the world that will use the processor. Obviously, as you said, this doesn't affect 90% of the people that will end up using these processor.

crap, you might be right about the turbo thing..that slipped my mind.

ANd yeah, it's a slippery slope, right? Your comment about hardware being behind software is quite accurate, to me, and you are also right, that that situation today has greatly changed.

I see no way that this helps extreme guys. ZERO. Because you have to use the heatspreader so that the CPU actually contacts the pins, many will not due to socket plastic height.

I said it before..this was a move to sell new coolers, and that is all. I haven't seen this actually effect extreme clocking..Those guys are doing just fine with paste under the IHS, and this will give reason for people to buy the new chips that will come out about 6 months from now..

EDIT: Cad, you don't overclock your rigs? What?! Look, I'm blinking erratically in distress at this news, lol.

I have a 3960X with 3x 6950's and 32 GB of ram that i use to play BF3 pretty much exclusively. Why would i need to OC? :wtf: Got guys playing on FX-8150 and much lesser CPUs just fine...heck, i don't even need the third card. Why would i want to increase my power bill?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I have a 3960X with 3x 6950's that i use to play BF3 pretty much exclusively. Why would i need to OC? Got guys palying on FX-8150 and much lesser CPUs just fine...heck, i don't even need the third card. Why would i want to increase my power bill?

Sure, I'm just messin' with ya and doing a bit of PC enthusiast nerdraging. :p

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sure, I'm just doing a bit of PC enthusiast nerdraging and messin' with ya. :p

WEll, it's like newtekie said...software is BEHIND hardware...very few things actually benefit form OC nowadays. I mean ,sure it's fun to see the benchmark scores go up, but I'm getting 120 + FPS already, and my monitor cannot even display that.

The cost of cooling to OC, jsut doesn't jsutify the gains in performance any more. Like sure, there was a time when that was all I'd do..but I was chasing decent performance on a 2560x1600 monitor...today, I have 3 monitors in Eyefinity...and the hardware bugs prevent me from enjoying that...not a lack of performance. It's my monitors loosing picture when i start apps, or exit them, flicker on the side monitors, apps not supporting the resolution...those are the current issues that affect high-end users, not a lack of performance. It's crappy drivers and poorly-designed hardware that needs to be addressed, not overclocking potential!!!.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
WEll, it's like newtekie said...software is BEHIND hardware...very few things actually benefit form OC nowadays. I mean ,sure it's fun to see the benchmark scores go up, but I'm getting 120 + FPS already, and my monitor cannot even display that.

The cost of cooling to OC, jsut doesn't jsutify the gains in performance any more. Like sure, there was a time when that was all I'd do..but I was chasing decent performance on a 2560x1600 monitor...today, I have 3 monitors in Eyefinity...and the hardware bugs prevent me from enjoying that...not a lack of performance. It's my monitors loosing picture when i start apps, or exit them, flicker on the side monitors, apps not supporting the resolution...those are the current issues that affect high-end users, not a lack of performance. It's crappy drivers and poorly-designed hardware that needs to be addressed, not overclocking potential!!!.
Well, my answer in post 42 applies here too. I don't see what else I can say.

I'm sorry that Eyefinity is giving you headaches and I hope AMD pull there fingers out and fix it.

NHKS

found this... not sure of the credibility but definitely implies SB is better for OC with air cooling (in case u do OC ur CPU)
also, upto 4.6GHz lower vcore is needed to reach the same freq with IB..

however perf @ same freq seems better with IB

cadaveca

My name is Dave
found this... not sure of the credibility but definitely implies SB is better for OC with air cooling (in case u do OC ur CPU)
also, upto 4.6GHz lower vcore is needed to reach the same freq with IB..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fjBNIQ00Xjc/T5WCylTgXhI/AAAAAAAACNE/BlvX78jYAp4/s1600/ocing.png

however perf @ same freq seems better with IB

Meh, not every CPU is like what OBR has, and just a few days ago he was proclaiming that all the heat was due to the 3D transitors drawing more current. WTF do you even pay attention to him and his postings? I could grab two CPUs and show the exact opposite.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
The number of people who wish to overclock really is moot here.

The point is the, if the use of TIM instead of solder is the cause of the heat problems, why did Intel do this? What did they possibly gain? A half cent on each chip?

Why not use the same tried and true method they always have?

If they manufacture the same way, then it doesn't matter who overclocks and who doesn't.

This is the real point. Why would they mess with something they didn't need to mess with?