• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January 9 Launch Date for AMD Radeon HD 7900

I'll have to wait for some tests this time if the new architecture is really any good for games. Data crunching is fine as it is as far as i'm concerned.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
This is earlier than expected.

System Name 2K Gamer
Processor AMD 8370 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Pro Gaming / Aura 970
Cooling Corsair H60 AIO
Memory 16GB G. Skill RipJaw @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP! GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 600 Gig HDD (Raid 0 @ 7,500) / WD 1TB Blue @ 7,200 / PNY 128 GB SSD For Linux
Display(s) 27'' ASUS 144MHZ G-SYNC Read 1400p Gaming Monitor / 23'' LG LCD Flatron W2361VG 1080p @ 50,000:1
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1 HD Realtek
Power Supply 750w Corsair HX
Mouse Cougar Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse
Software Windows 10 64bit Education Edition
I will be picking up two of these bad boys in February :) ..My 5850 Crossfire are still a powerhouse, but its time has come :)

System Name Hhumas-PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet
Memory OCZ Platinium 2x2GB
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage WD Green 500 GB , WD 500 GB
Display(s) Dell U2410F
Case Casecom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
System Name All the Cores ... (VMs)
Processor Ryzen9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master (Bios F36c)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory TridentZ neo 4x 16gb 3600Mhz C16 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 Ti
Storage 2x Sn750 2TB
Display(s) OPTIX MPG341CQR & LG 32UD60-B
Case CASELABS M8
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA g5 750w
Mouse Corsair m65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10pro/64
Benchmark Scores N/A .. yet updating soon
Hmm .. I just ask for A RMA on my MSI 6970 Lighthing. ... Kind of wish I would of waited a month .. might of lucked out and got A 7970.

But on the other hand .. 6970s will drop in price so 2 more would be nice...

Donanimhaber is a rumor shotgun, it's bound to hit something right. I've seen too many benches from them that weren't accurate to believe all they say though, I think some of those might actually be purposefully leaked by AMD.

In any case release around CES seems likely. It looks like AMD already handed out the test cards, which is a little surprising. Perhaps they're keeping the drivers until closer to release.

Just sold my second 6950. I'll make do with one until I can get my hands on one of these babys! :rockout:

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
i think my GTX580 will serve me for quite some time still... theres no games i cant max so no need for another gpu upgrade just yet :)

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
so this is how 2012 apocalypse happens. AMD releases a single gpu so powerful that it simulates the entire universe causing several wormholes to be created that swallow our galaxy super cluster. yeah that makes sense now.

J

John Doe

so this is how 2012 apocalypse happens. AMD releases a single gpu so powerful that it simulates the entire universe causing several wormholes to be created that swallow our galaxy super cluster. yeah that makes sense now.

Yeah, have you looked at the leaked shot? Volterra Digital PWM, their best quality part (which nVidia lacks) is gone. They were using it since HD 2900, and now it's Analog with two inductors off. Like a non-ref 6970 rather than a reference. Doesn't seem "super duper mega awesome" to me.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Cooling 212 Evo
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Yeah, have you looked at the leaked shot? Volterra Digital PWM, their best quality part (which nVidia lacks) is gone. They were using it since HD 2900, and now it's Analog with two inductors off. Like a non-ref 6970 rather than a reference. Doesn't seem "super duper mega awesome" to me.

So AMD has advanced past the point of the HD2900 and you think the card is going to flop? I fail to see your logic there ;D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
So AMD has advanced past the point of the HD2900 and you think the card is going to flop? I fail to see your logic there ;D

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that AMD cheaped out on parts which is apparent by the pictures. Then again this could be the 7950 card and we haven't seen the retail 7970 yet. I'm just waiting to see results first.

J

John Doe

No, they went from the best Volterra 8-phase Digital PWM solution to a cheap Analog one. The one they had before gave accurate reading and adjusting of voltage on it's own along with fast power phase shifting. This one they have now is only better than the exploding VRM of nVidia.

Good observation there and if true what does that mean for power requirements and stability? Is the new architecture able to work with a less stringent power envelope? I mean I can't see them dropping back on a sample or reference design unless they know they can maintain with analog and inductors?

J

John Doe

Good observation there and if true what does that mean for power requirements and stability? Is the new architecture able to work with a less stringent power envelope? I mean I can't see them dropping back on a sample or reference design unless they know they can maintain with analog and inductors?

Well actually, Digital PWM creates more heat and is more expensive to make. You can do the same with Analog though it may not have an as high OC potential (i.e 570/590). nVidia uses Analog for that reason while AMD was going with Digital since their cards are cooler to boot. IDK what it might exactly mean about the GPU itself other than the fact that they cheaped out.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Cooling 212 Evo
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Well actually, Digital PWM creates more heat and is more expensive to make. You can do the same with Analog though it may not have an as high OC potential (i.e 570/590). nVidia uses Analog for that reason while AMD was going with Digital since their cards are cooler to boot. IDK what it might exactly mean about the GPU other than the fact that they "cheaped out".

Are there such things as high quality analog PWM that allow for more OC potential? Or is there physical limit to how good an analog controller can be? If AMD did use it to save money then maybe that is how they will afford to undercut all of nVidia's cards and consumers get less expensive products.

Basically, do you know if this will effect the card much, or is it just like having a top-of-the-line stereo system inside a Nascar? Not really needed but nice to have.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Well, this coincides with my own estimated ETA for these cards. If true, good job, AMD!!
I had hoped for a release this month, but didn't expect card until January, with the dual GPU card in March/April.
Yes, seems AMD are on the ball...at least with graphics.
A couple of points:
1.Launch is good. Retail availability is better.
2.New µarch likely means a greater emphasis on getting the drivers right. Having a Ferrari in the garage means squat if the throttle linkage is broken.
2a. With a new µarch, I suspect the driver team(s) will be concentrating their efforts on GCN based cards. Not a good sign with the amount of game related bugs still prevalent with VLIW4/5 based cards. AMD seem to have trouble optimizing for one µarch, and now they're doubling the fun. Does this mean that AMD are now consigning HD4000/5000 to legacy driver status?
New designs every year is almost too fast!
Yes, I too was an uber-enthusiast...until I took an arrow to the knee

J

John Doe

Are there such things as high quality analog PWM that allow for more OC potential? Or is there physical limit to how good an analog controller can be? If AMD did use it to save money then maybe that is how they will afford to undercut all of nVidia's cards and consumers get less expensive products.

Basically, do you know if this will effect the card much, or is it just like having a top-of-the-line stereo system inside a Nascar? Not really needed but nice to have.

Yeah, there're many strong Analog solutions like the ones in MSI's non-ref cards. But this one looks no different than the phases they used in the second revision 6950/70. Cheap ones to be precise. We can't be sure how it'd affect the board before it's released. It probably works well, but might as well be limited like 570's. Volterra solutions are always more accurate at power delivery (i.e reference over non-ref).

on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
System Name ( . Y . )
Yeah, there're many strong Analog solutions like the ones in MSI's non-ref cards. But this one looks no different than the phases they used in the second revision 6950/70. Cheap ones to be precise. We can't be sure how it'd affect the board before it's released. It probably works well, but might as well be limited like 570's. Volterra solutions are always more accurate at power delivery (i.e reference over non-ref).

Why they look cheap? Ti vrms looks just fine by be better than whatever invidia is using on their gtx 570 and all their cards inb general.
For god sake 6870 and gtx despite ythe huge power consumption between them both are using 4 gpu phases ...so tell me ho is cheaping out huh? both are to make more profits but at least i didn't heard of any recent cards from amd blowing out like gtx 570 or especially 590 do.

J

John Doe

Why they look cheap? Ti vrms looks just fine by be better than whatever invidia is using on their gtx 570 and all their cards inb general.
For god sake 6870 and gtx despite ythe huge power consumption between them both are using 4 gpu phases ...so tell me ho is cheaping out huh? both are to make more profits but at least i didn't heard of any recent cards from amd blowing out like gtx 570 or especially 590 do.

Not sure where the Ti or the 6870 came in discussion. lol. I was on about the high end (7900/6900).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, seems AMD are on the ball...at least with graphics.
A couple of points:
1.Launch is good. Retail availability is better.

Yeah, time will tell how much of a paper launch this will be. It's quite normal for me to ahve to wait about 3 months before being able to buy cards locally. It seems Bioware is good at snapping up new hardware locally.:laugh:

2.New µarch likely means a greater emphasis on getting the drivers right. Having a Ferrari in the garage means squat if the throttle linkage is broken.
2a. With a new µarch, I suspect the driver team(s) will be concentrating their efforts on GCN based cards. Not a good sign with the amount of game related bugs still prevalent with VLIW4/5 based cards. AMD seem to have trouble optimizing for one µarch, and now they're doubling the fun. Does this mean that AMD are now consigning HD4000/5000 to legacy driver status?

I have no idea how to comment on this. What I hope to see if AMD commit a team of programmers to each core design, GCN and VLIW, respectively. It seems this would be the best way to do things, but then they are very reliant on having the right people in the right places, if they have them at all.

I'm not too sure what I'm gonna do. If htese cards are fast enough to do Eyefinity decently, I'm gonna buy a couple, for sure. If not, my 6950's do a decent job at single monitor, so I ahve no interest in buying new cards. I'd rather buy someone's used cards and get 2 more 6950's before buying into a new gen. $ cards are jsut so much mroe visually impressive in how htey fill a case, anyway.:laugh:

J

John Doe

For comparison, here are 3 pics. This is the 7900.

This one's an original, reference 6970.

And this is a second revision, cheaped out 6970.

faramir

All the author of DomainHamber :D does is to make up crap. That site is a joke. Why would they, from Silicon Valley, CA, send their most important info to some junk site from a 3rd World country? They never get any info. They just stir it up.

You, my dear, are an idiot.

If you took few minutes to check out their rumor posts from the past you would surely notice that they have been correct on pretty much everything. The only exception to this are the inferences people make from those announcements. People like you.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I've used Volterra PWM-powered reference AMD boards, and cheapo Sapphire/HIS boards that use the same GPU but cheaper UPI/CHIL/OnSemi + DPAK circuits. I could never tell any quality difference. I guess the PWM-powered boards only have an edge with extreme cooling...that is if AMD doesn't skew you over with clock speed limits.

IDK what it might exactly mean about the GPU itself other than the fact that they cheaped out.
Given the price they have for this, including TSMC 28Nm price increase and yields... while not absolutely needing it now becuase the 28Nm and GCN silicon doesn't demand for it. They made concessions.

While now (also) they don't intend for OC'n them and will be leaving up to AIB's to do what Nvidia has been doing, letting AIB's build the OC units with the power section to achieve their halo products, and more difference from how they did it in the past.

If I understood right, I read several month back that AMD would permit AIB's more leeway right from the initial release to not release basically stickered reference designs. Heck most often the reason to grab a newly release AMD/ATI reference card was that those most often provide the best OC’n. Going forward it may be more like Nvidia AIB's some generic release cards, and a full stable of über units almost from day one.

Last edited:
System Name Modest Box
Processor i5-4690K @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-C
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Colorful GTX 950
Storage OCZ Vertex 460A 480GB
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Gold
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Well, my game of the moment (Skyrim) is kicking the crap out of my CPU more than my GPU so I don't really care (which I did prior to Skyrim's launch). Wait for Kepler...