• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January 9 Launch Date for AMD Radeon HD 7900

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Not that many people OC GPUs compared to CPUs at least. I OC my GPU only slightly

J

John Doe

You, my dear, are an idiot.

If you took few minutes to check out their rumor posts from the past you would surely notice that they have been correct on pretty much everything. The only exception to this are the inferences people make from those announcements. People like you.

No, I'm not. However you are if you trust that site.

Their most recent rumor was Bulldozer. They claimed to have tested the chip, and put it in pace with a 980x. When in reality, most people knew it was going to blow. Then it did.

I've used Volterra PWM-powered reference AMD boards, and cheapo Sapphire/HIS boards that use the same GPU but cheaper UPI/CHIL/OnSemi + DPAK circuits. I could never tell any quality difference. I guess the PWM-powered boards only have an edge with extreme cooling...that is if AMD doesn't skew you over with clock speed limits.

There's no accurate software monitoring or voltage adjustment on cheapo cards. And either way, I'd prefer to have solid Volterra's powering my card. For example, you can power your system with both a $100 or a $150 PSU. Both would do it well as long as they're under ATX specs. Though, I'd take the $150 one. :)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
There's no accurate software monitoring or voltage adjustment on cheapo cards.

And you wouldn't need it either, unless you have extreme cooling at your disposal. That was my point. Most cheap UPI/OnSemi/CHIL controllers still give you 'some' voltage tuning headroom.

J

John Doe

And you wouldn't need it either, unless you have extreme cooling at your disposal. That was my point. Most cheap UPI/OnSemi/CHIL controllers still give you 'some' voltage tuning headroom.

Well, I personally want to have it all in one. You don't get accurate software voltage sensors with those. Then again I'd like to make sure my card is powered cleanly and well. Not with some cheap regulators that can't suppress ripple as good.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well, I personally want to have it all in one. You don't get accurate software voltage sensors with those. Then again I'd like to make sure my card is powered cleanly and well. Not with some cheap regulators that can't suppress ripple as good.

Besides, Volterra+CPL boards were, historically, always produced in limited quantities, so those cost-effective board designs that allow greater price flexibility step in just a couple of months later. Those high-grade boards were more of PR vehicles. Only the early adopters got the pie.

Looks like a 'posh' reference board with Volterra+CPL PWM at first glance, doesn't it?

Look closely:

^That's a common cost-effective VRM.

The Volterra+CPL design should look like this from the back of the PCB:

Again, my point is, the whole discussion about missing digital PWM on those Tahiti boards is moot. Very few actually end up getting those cards, AMD itself gives out cheapo PCBs once the launched products "settle down", as is the case with the example above. You'll find the same cheap PCB in use with many other AIBs.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

Yeah. Ripple is a part killer. People that ran their machines off old units that're on the higher side of it need good VRM. Good VRM = better ripple surpression. You either upgrade your PSU or VRM to reduce it, or else it might be an another point of failure. Both PSU and cards die from ripple.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Looks like the card pictured has more phases than the GTX 570 which I believe used a 4 phase design. Really though, I don't care as long as the performance is there out of the box. Has anyone measured the hole spacing for the cooler to see if it matches up with any previous cards?

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
I am looking forward to seeing how these perform. They are part of my current upgrade plan, but they can be taken off if we get anything resembling the other half of AMD's recent product launches. If these launch dates are true, this will give them almost a full year before Nvidia has anything to answer to it. Hopefully they can still pull off a decent GPU.

J

John Doe

Ti=texas instruments

Ok, you said 4 phase. The amount of phases don't equal to the amount of power they deliver. Put five 50W phases against ten 25W phases. See? The thing here is, this design isn't as quality as the high current inductors MSI uses, let alone a Volterra. See the pics I compared to on the bottom of the 2nd page.

lol I doubt it. Has the card even went to full production yet?

1 - yes, probably. It doesnt take 1 night to produce thousands of graphics cards from nada
2 - Since when reviewers need a shelf prodect, they get an ES
3 - Yes, W1zz probably look at this thread with a trollface smile

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Besides, Volterra+CPL boards were, historically, always produced in limited quantities, so those cost-effective board designs that allow greater price flexibility step in just a couple of months later. Those high-grade boards were more of PR vehicles. Only the early adopters got the pie.

Looks like a 'posh' reference board with Volterra+CPL PWM at first glance, doesn't it?
http://img.techpowerup.org/111212/bta8746kjhdc.jpg

Look closely:
http://img.techpowerup.org/111212/bta8764jhd.jpg
^That's a common cost-effective VRM.

The Volterra+CPL design should look like this from the back of the PCB:
http://img.techpowerup.org/111212/bta8764hd.jpg

Again, my point is, the whole discussion about missing digital PWM on those Tahiti boards is moot. Very few actually end up getting those cards, AMD itself gives out cheapo PCBs once the launched products "settle down", as is the case with the example above. You'll find the same cheap PCB in use with many other AIBs.

Is Volterra+CPL PWM made in Taiwan? If it is it could have been flooded like the Wd factory or they come from the northern part of Japan were the Nuclear plant has been leaking water out....either way... Like Erocker and Bta have said... If the performance is there
yep you bet I will be getting one,When was the last card from ATI/AMD with memory bust over 256bit....2900xt 512bit with the robust fire bit right.348 bit is new for them And i hope they take both crowns from the Green camp.

J

John Doe

1 - yes, probably. It doesnt take 1 night to produce thousands of graphics cards from nada
2 - Since when reviewers need a shelf prodect, they get an ES
3 - Yes, W1zz probably look at this thread with a trollface smile

And can you tell me how you know about that? There's zero info out there stating such thing. The card may as well not even be designed properly yet. It's not that easy to build a GPU in months time.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
his point is that it IS that easy to slap a gpu on a board and ES gpu are most deff tapped out

J

John Doe

his point is that it IS that easy to slap a gpu on a board and ES gpu are most deff tapped out

No, it's not. You're making it sound like as easy as cooking beef. You don't just "slap a GPU on a board". ES samples are fully functional GPU's, just like how ATi/AMD has been doing it before. I have an ES HD 2900 dated at March of 07. It's the same as any other 2900 technically. You have to design an entire GPU architecture, which we still aren't sure if they've done yet.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You have to design an entire GPU, which we still aren't sure if they've done it yet.

What are those pictured cards then? .. if that's what you are meaning.

J

John Doe

What are those pictured cards then? .. if that's what you are meaning.

It's a half-cut picture. The core of the GPU looks some sort of toy. I'm not even sure the card in that single photo is finished yet.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's a half-cut picture. The core of the GPU looks some sort of toy. I'm not even sure that single shot is finished yet.

No offense, dude, but just because you are skeptical doesn't mean everyone else has to be as well.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Analog vs digital pwm is 100% meaningless. All that matters is what the regulatory circuits are capable of, not how they get there.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Meh, nothing means a thing until the company that produces these cards actually provide some information. Arguing about speculation, rumors, etc. has to be one of the biggest wastes of time I can think of. I'm just going to say these cards exist and I've seen enough proof to think this way.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sooo... Unveil means they will just remove the NDA or at least some of it, but doesn't mean the cards will actually be available on the market, correct?

Looks like the card pictured has more phases than the GTX 570 which I believe used a 4 phase design. Really though, I don't care as long as the performance is there out of the box. Has anyone measured the hole spacing for the cooler to see if it matches up with any previous cards?

Well accoring to him the VRM design on the GTX570 is rubbish, can't handle any overvolting(pure BS), and the same 4 phase design on the GTX470 was better and the GTX470 overclocked better too...

There is no use arguing with him, he acts like he knows what he is talking about, but in the end has no clue.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Meh, nothing means a thing until the company that produces these cards actually provide some information. Arguing about speculation, rumors, etc. has to be one of the biggest wastes of time I can think of. I'm just going to say these cards exist and I've seen enough proof to think this way.

and to get giddy with anticipation no less

vregs dont overly matter to 99% of their users so long as they work

J

John Doe

Analog vs digital pwm is 100% meaningless. All that matters is what the regulatory circuits are capable of, not how they get there.

Digital solutions (Volterra) are most the time superior to Analog, but this specific Analog design (used on non-ref Cayman GPU's) is nowhere as quality as a Volterra Digital PWM.