• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JPMorgan Chase tests neuroscience-based video games to recruit interns

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This one kind of fits everywhere on this forum. :roll:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-video-games-to-recruit-interns-idUSKCN1QZ15D
The bank is piloting technology from pymetrics, a startup whose games help companies assess applicants’ social, cognitive and behavioral features, such as attention, memory and altruism, Matt Mitro, JPMorgan’s head of campus recruiting, said in an interview.
To identify which potential interns might be best suited for a job, the platform measures a candidate’s attributes against those of a firm’s successful employees. This helps companies make their assessments more data-based than traditional processes.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Interesting. I guess the attention and memory retention aspect is pretty straightforward but I wonder about the morals/altruism aspect, surely if you know it's a test you can simply choose the action that'll make you look super good, I wonder if they'll be able to tell apart a natural 'i'll do this' to a forced 'i would like to do this bad thing, but instead I'll do a really good thing because that's what they want.'

And tbh morals and ethics is a bit of a grey area, depending on the situation and your personal take on things and past experience. I worry that a lot of decent people might not get a job because of this.

I'll watch this space, cheers gt90 ;)

D

Deleted member 158293

If it's shady, questionable, and profitable the big banks would definitely be interested wouldn't they.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Interesting. I guess the attention and memory retention aspect is pretty straightforward but I wonder about the morals/altruism aspect, surely if you know it's a test you can simply choose the action that'll make you look super good, I wonder if they'll be able to tell apart a natural 'i'll do this' to a forced 'i would like to do this bad thing, but instead I'll do a really good thing because that's what they want.'

And tbh morals and ethics is a bit of a grey area, depending on the situation and your personal take on things and past experience. I worry that a lot of decent people might not get a job because of this.

I'll watch this space, cheers gt90 ;)
They might be timing how quickly you make the choice. If it's delayed, then it could be interpreted as a lie.

That said, the moral/altruism may be tested in very finite shades of gray rather than something clearly black and white: cases where there really is no right and wrong answer but how it is answered tells a lot about the person. Games can even follow up with questions allowing the player to explain their choice in a guided way. What actually bumps an applicant up or down may not be in the original response, but how the individual justified the action. For example, if the question revolved around witnessing a crime and the follow up was about do you report it to someone, the answer they're broadly looking for is "yes." How you initially responded is generally expected but there's nuance in how the individual justifies their decision that is very important to an interviewer.

All speculation, of course, but I like where this is going. :D

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Kind of discriminatory in my opinion.
Attention and memory aren't my strongest qualities, but that doesn't mean I am less intelligent or incapable of tasks set before me.
Sounds more a selection process for drones than people.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
They might be timing how quickly you make the choice. If it's delayed, then it could be interpreted as a lie.

That is exactly what I Was going to type until I saw that you already posted.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Enquiring minds that deliberate may never be employed if that is true, people like John Nash Jr would be relegated to the unemployment line.
It all sounds too much like the thought police are becoming a reality.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Attention and memory aren't my strongest qualities,
You may indeed be intelligent, as am I. Attention to detail and memory retention are though kind of critical in neurosciences, which can include many brain related surgeries.

I don’t just want an intelligent person doing that, I want one with extreme attention and memory. So yes, it is discriminatory. There are many fields where being just ok is not ok.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Kind of discriminatory in my opinion.
Attention and memory aren't my strongest qualities, but that doesn't mean I am less intelligent or incapable of tasks set before me.
Sounds more a selection process for drones than people.
Some positions don't require a lot of attention and memory while some do. They're trying to align personalities and traits with positions where they do the best.

I'm hoping this tech is deployed to high schools and entrance exams at secondary schools. It could help point people to careers they didn't give much thought to that really suit them.

Employers do discriminate when selecting who they hire from the pool of applicants. The important thing is that they don't discriminate based on gender, sex, race, and ethnicity. This kind of testing could actually go a long way towards reducing the illegal types of discrimination.

Enquiring minds that deliberate may never be employed if that is true, people like John Nash Jr would be relegated to the unemployment line.
It all sounds too much like the thought police are becoming a reality.
An interviewer could easily ask why the interviewee hesitated in answering it. Having these kinds of test results gives interviews a lot of direction which can lead to deep insight that would have otherwise been missed or ignored.

It should also be added that interns are generally fresh out of college and look at the people graduating now: they've been surrounded by tech their whole life and their intrapersonal skills are lackluster. They respond more positively to being quizzed and then being quizzed on the quiz rather than keeping their nerves together in a traditional interview. A lot of exceptionally talented people are being passed up because they suck at interviews. It serves as a great ice breaker and insight into what the person is like beyond first impressions.

Last edited: