1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just A Quick Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FreedomEclipse, Nov 15, 2007.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Hello TPU freaks (j/k) I am far from a noob when it comes to overclocking but ive recently run into a few issues regaurding my overclock & also some other news which i have recently possibly read in this forum somewhere....

my CPU at the moment is currently running at stock speeds (2Ghz) when its not running at stock speeds its at 2610mhz

the reason why im running it at stock....even tho it tests stable under orthos for 12hrs+. it just randomly BSOD every so often which pisses me off but yet each time i pust the O/C back into testing it comes out 12hrs+ no problems again...

now, the the post thatI read said that for overclocking it was better to run 2 modules of ram in stead of a full 'stack' of 4 which I am currently doing. which stresses out the mem controller & kills the overclock.

now my questions are...

1. could it be the RAM that makes it BSOD every now n again?
    2. would it be worth the extra speed if I removed 2x modules from my PC dropping my RAM to 1Gb instead of 2Gb

Or.

3. 2Gb of RAM pwns leave it as it is....

thanks for all your help n advice in advance

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    hmm, try running the amd overdrive stablility test? its just like orthos, but it catchs a few things that orthos does. does memtest check out when you haved it oced? are these the corsair modules in your system specs? what are the voltages and speeds when the stix are oced?

3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's probably the ram becoming unstable. Try messing with the timings and voltages or putting it on a lower divider.

If that doesn't work, you can try feeding the cpu a little more volts.

And finally, if all else fails, slightly lower the OC.

4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well 2x are OCZ platinum Edition Rev.2's & the other 2x are Corsair XL Pro's they all run at stock speeds & also same timings, I havent tweaked them what so ever 2-2-2-5 the whole lot.

I usually set the voltage to auto but when im o/c'd I push the voltage to 2.75v or 2.8v as for mem test thats one test Ive never ran lol ever!
    ---

thanks Wile E I will try running the AMD test in the morning as its coming to 1.30am here in the UK & im too tired to do squat but plan for the day ahead.

5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    anybody else care to add their opinion??

6. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I get that issue if I OC past 2.64Ghz.
    I'll have to try my ram at 2T as suggested.
    Not that I personally see any difference in performance in games.
    Only in benchtests.