1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought 3 GTX480's...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Dabode, Jun 12, 2010.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure these 3 cards will bottleneck with a Phenom I chip running them. You would need a 965BE or a good phenom II with the L3 cache to power these cards properly. my advice is to sale one and get a phenom II

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my bad, I see the 1250 Galaxy now....I will say this, I saw a 1050W spike running 2 470's in Vantage. Be careful!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think my biggest question after reading this thread isn't so much why you are running 3 GTX480s, but why in the hell it is with a Phenom I O_O Since for the price of one of those cards (yes you've said money is of no object, which was clear from the first post :laugh) would've bought you an X4 BE and an 890FX :p

This might be because I'm old school and things have changed... But keep in mind that if you go AMD on the motherboard chipset (That Crosshair IV) I don't think you'll be able to do SLi. I'd think you would have to do the Hydra chip equipped motherboard route. Again that could have changed, as I just upgraded from my S939 nF4 board, which then ATi/AMD = Crossfire and nForce = SLi :)

digibucc says thanks.
  4. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    WHAT THE **** :shadedshu

I was just thinking you could have added all that GFX power but went cheap on CPU like a slow Phenom X4. BUT AN ATHLON 1 AND FERMI TRI-SLI LOL :roll:

Even having that single GTX 480 wouldn't do anything if you keep that CPU at stock and play games. Most games are single-threaded, the Athlon 9950 is based on a AMD Athlon X2 architecture and it's slower then those CPUs in many games.

Talk about processor bottleneck in CPU intensive games...

If cost wasn't that much of a concern to you, why didn't you get a real CPU on first place instead of buying 3 Fermi's?

There isn't any need for mobo upgrade, sell one of your Fermi's and buy a 1090T, update your CH2's BIOS then OC it to 4.2 problem solved.

Seriously you're thinking about water loops and stuff but you have sth just above a P4 in terms of raw single core CPU power it just looks awful.

Dabode says thanks.
  5. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whoever said I was using an Athlon? :confused: It IS a Phenom X4 Black Edition.

Keep in mind the GTX480's are the FIRST STEP(well second after the PSU) in upgrading my system. Everything else is to follow, which is why I mentioned I'm looking at getting a new CPU/MoBo. The old system consisted of the current CPU/MoBo and a single 8800GTX OC on a 750-watt PSU which worked just fine. I just haven't decided which CPU/MoBo combo I want to go with just yet, which is why I'm still using the old stuff.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless you go with Intel, I'm not seeing a huge benefit to going with a newer motherboard in your case. Unless the 890FX allows SLi, I'd just chuck a 1090T in your current board. If anything grab some more memory, assuming you don't already have 8GB (not that 8 is needed mind you)

And the only thing I can think of that he meant by Athlon, is that the Phenom 1s weren't more than tweak Athlon 64s. Which I'm still not sure is entirely true, but it's all I could figure.

7. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's right, thanks.

1st gen Phenom = Athlon. Call it Phenom 1 or Athlon it's the same arch.

GTX 480s should have been put to "last step". Reading the reviews on those cards or looking at the rest of your PC don't you agree?

Go with what Formula and I suggested. Slap in 1090T>4.2 GHZ. There you have it. :)

Dabode says thanks.
  8. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    jesus lord almighty and all their brothren including the holy spirit. BOTTLENECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: nvm i see he's planning to upgrade the mobo and CPU, since money isn't an issue get the intel i7 980X :toast:.

9. carrera997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dropped 3 480s into my rig with a 980x. 54,136 on Vantage! Graphics score was 48k. 980 was OCd to 4.65, mild OCs on the 480s. It screams. BTW, I am running a 120.3 rad on the 480s plus the motherboard block. Idle temps are in the high 30s. Hit 55 on the vantage run. Never get above 50 when gaming. Blows the 2 5970s I had out of the water. Yeah, if you can afford it get the 980x. I do video encoding and this set up is great.

10. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the PSU and the GTX480's were the only components I had made a decision on, so they were the first things I bought.

So how much better off would I be going with a top-of-the-line Intel board and an i7 compared to an overclocked 1090T?

11. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    3 gtx 480's, wow you're set for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

12. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're type of guy that buys highest-end hardware at once without thinking, then surely it'll scream...

until Intel comes w/ a faster working 990x and Nvidia takes out non-defective, fully functional (all shaders enabled) and die shrunk? GTX 485 in the next months.

I see no reason in going from HD 5970 Quadfire to GTX 480 Tri-SLI other then lack of Crossfire compatibility even w/ new profiles or ATi's worse drivers. Those are only software probs, we both know hardware issues of GTX 480 such as power consumption, temps and the list goes on...

Phenom X6 does same job, so do Leadtek's CUDA encoding card. Somewhat slower but it doesn't cost you a liver. Have you ever heard of price/performance? LOL.

If it's a stock i7 920, then OCed 1090 will beat it to death. :laugh: Both in overclock they'll compete head-to-head. One is better in some benchmark, other is weaker in another bench. 6 Cores VS 4 cores + HT. 980X performs %25 better. But the thing is, Thuban is an advanced Phenom 2. It has much greater clock per clock efficiency then Phenom 2s or fast Core 2 CPUs. It's up there with mid end i7's.

It also clocks mad despite being a 6-core AMD CPU. It really is an awesome chip. I have a CH 2 sitting in it's box and I'm considering buying it. That's the reason why I told you to do that, AMD finally got their stuff right with this chip, only thing left is to release something as fast as i7 980 and Intel is down.

You'll pay 1500-2000$ for the top of line 980X / X58 mobo / DDR3 RAM. Also, you're gonna have to rebuilt everything.

For 300$ and without that hastle you will get your hands on a little bit slower hardware. Which is smarter?

Dabode says thanks.
  13. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sold

Ordering from newegg in 3...2...1........

14. carrera997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grasshopper,

I have been doing this a long time. I spend my money as I choose since I work more and have achieved more than you probably ever will. This is a hobby for me and a hell of a lot cheaper than racing P-cars. I do it because I can... and I am having a blast doing it.... and if your reading comprhension were up to par, you would see that I do video encoding, so there is a practical side to this. Let's just leave it at that...

claylomax says thanks.
  15. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    +1:toast:

carrera997 says thanks.
  16. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    So do I. I don't care who you are or which Porsche you drive here on this site. You're also talking to a hobbyist / enthusiast. I can comprehend, therefore I suggested 1090T and a video encode card as if you don't have GTX 480s. My reasoning is wise, buying that CPU is easier & it's bang 4 buck. Yours isn't in this situation. You're speaking for your own, not for him. Like it's only your opinion that matters and it doesn't help him build a PC.

Your supporter is an example of what I wrote. He WILL buy a HD 6000 series card whenever they come. It doesn't matter whether it gives %5 or %50 performance over his Cypress cards. He's gonna buy it.

There's a difference between spending your money stupidly and making clever purchases.

I waited for 3 months for E8700, it didn't retail. They cut prices on E8600 and I bought it. Look at your components and guess what will happen in Q4. Why am I telling these?

I gave OP his answer, yes let's finish this. I don't want trouble on this thread, I'm done here.

Dabode says thanks.
  17. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    even a high clock 1090T bottlenecks 1 480 dont take my word for it head over to the vantage thread, i would upgrade to a i7 and clock it to at lest 3.6Ghz for 3 480s.

18. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    You name yourself helper but or you seem to be doing is bitching, then you say you don't want trouble when your the one who seems to be the one, again BITCHING about nothing

(Slap me with an infraction:banghead: I know ur gonna give me one, this douche was annoying the hell outta me:mad:) Had to be said.

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That's just how some people are, they want the latest and greatest and they can afford it even if they don't need it, i don't see a problem with that, it's there hobby and that what's they find fun in life.(its my hobby to, i just don't have as much money as they do)

But the goal to to try and get the best out of your money, and if they so happen to have the money for the highest of high-end then so be it.

carrera997 and claylomax say thanks.
  20. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    if money is no object.
    get an SR2, 2 6-core xeon dual QPI, slap in 24GB of ridgebacks, and use that 3 480s..
    you wont be dissapointed.
    you just need a bigger and beefier PSU to run that tho.
    and consider 4x140 + 2x140 rad..

21. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Money is still a factor, but I'm not opposed to spending what I need to to get results. I'm not rich by any means, but I work two jobs, and have next to no bills, so I can afford to be a little frivolous. I'm not going to spend $4000 just to gain a .05% increase in performance. If an overclocked 1090T will compare with buying a new MoBo and an i7, I'm not going to waste the money on the Intel stuff, especially considering I prefer AMD. I CAN afford to go with the i7 setup, but just buying a 1090T instead of a new Mobo/CPU/memory does seem a little more prudent to me. Thanks for the input carrera, but I think Helper hit the nail on the head with what I'm going for. I just ordered the 1090T and a new Corsair CC800DW RT case. I'll hopefully have everything together in the next week or so, and let you know how it's going.

But really, thanks to both of you for your input. I didn't mean to cause a disturbance. :ohwell:

22. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The 1090T is a great CPU and a nice price, it's definitely a great pick imo. Only thing is, don't rule out Intel just because you prefer AMD, Intels current CPU's are insanely powerful this gen. It's best not to rule them out.

23. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice comeback! :respect:

+1
    I'd suggest that too if you want top of the line hardware. ^^^

OT: The 1090T is a really cool CPU. And the 800D is one kickass case. Enjoy your new stuff Dabode. :toast:

carrera997 says thanks.
  24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Remember to take pics of the new stuff.:)

25. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    See how well the 480's respond to watercooling? Carrera didn't mention his blocks, but it doesn't matter all of them work extremely well!!

IF you plan on upgrading your board, cpu, and anything else(fans, HDD's, or other hardware) then you'll want to consider a PSU calculator. The best one I have found is here:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

An overclocked i7 setup can use about 200W, plus 375W per card easily will eat up that 1250W power supply you suggested. You might want to research better PSU options. :toast: