1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just fitted an NV silencer to my card, getting higher env. temps??!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 15th Warlock, Jul 4, 2006.

1. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, first of all, sorry for the long absence, I've been busy preparing for the California dental licensure test, but I finally got free from all the stress last week and just got back home from the US with some goodies for my PC.
    Among the goodies, I got a NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3 for my 6800GS, I fitted it 4 days ago, and my GPU temps at max load have gone down about 10ºC compared to the temps I got with a Tt Extreme Giant III.
    Idle temps are about the same, but I'm concerned about the GPU environment temps I'm getting now, temps have gone up quite a bit after installing the silencer, and now the idle temp is 42ºC (up from 37ºC) and load temp is 60ºC! (up from 48ºC).
    Is this normal? I read at the newegg reviews of the Silencer that the cooler actually heats up the RAM chips, cause the large copper base transmits the heat from the core to the chips, but I wasn't expecting such high temps right off the bat, I mean, the temp has gone up by 12ºC when compared to what I was getting when I was using the Tt Giant.
    My case airflow is very good, and after installing the cooler, I fitted a small fan to blow fresh air over the FETs at the back of the card, but IMO temps are way too high for comfort, what do you guys think?
    Maybe some of you guys have the same cooler/video card combination I have, and if you would like to share your experience with me, I will certainly appreciate it a lot :)
    Thanks for your help guys, and it's good to be among you again :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    refit it and check how fast the fan is spinning, if need be bios mod the fan to spin at like 60% for 2d instead of most which spin at like 40%. Chances are the fan isnt spinning at 100% in 3d either so you might wana bios mod 3d fan speeds as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Zebbo Mushkin Tech Rep

Thanks Received:
    NV Silencers doesnt cool power circulation area at all. Power circulation area is located right under where the fan is on NV Silencers and since the bottom of it is covered with plastic theres no airflow at all.

Of course you could try some DYO and mod the NV Silencer to suck the hot air from PWM area but it would then again raise your GPU temperatures.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its impossible that a siencer is raising the case temp... how much airflow do u have? the silencer should be taking air from the case and blowing it out resulting in lowered case and gpu temps so... get more case fans to support the silencer more cool air.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Zebbo Mushkin Tech Rep

Thanks Received:
    Considering how warm the power circulation area gets it is totally possible.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    and also i see u overclocked ur cpu 300mhz... cant u get to 4.6 or 4.7 ghz with that proccy? i did get to 4.7ghz on 1.55 vcore

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your replies guys :) Lots of new faces in the forum btw :toast:

Yes, I noticed the Silencer fan doesn't blow any air over the FETs and capacitors at the end of the card, where the molex power conector is, and this area gets really hot during gameplay, that's why I fitted a small fan (60mm?) to the back of the Silencer that blows air right over that area.

I also used rivatuner to reset all fan speeds to 100% at all times, but has not made any difference :p

My case temps are about the same I had when I was using the Tt Giant III, in fact, my overall system temps have gone down by 1~2ºC, cause I also bought an AC Freezer 4 for my CPU, which lowered the temps of the hot Prescott core by about 5~8ºC, and my new PSU also has two fans blowing hot air out of the case instead of just one.

So far, the only sensor reporting higher temps, is the GPU environment sensor, I'm going to remove the cooler today and refit it, I might try changing the thermal paste that came pre-applied to it for AS-5, after polishing the cooper surface a bit using a dremel, maybe that'll help, though I doubt it, as GPU temps are not my concern, and I also heard that the MX-1 paste AC pre-applies to the cooler is actually better than AS-5 paste, but takes about 200 hours of continous use to cure.

I'll try to refit the cooler after I get back from work, and I'll tell you guys how did it go, thanks for your help, and if any of you has/had the same problem, please tell me.

Btw, I haven't tried OCing my proc with my new cooler, I got the 300Mhz OC when I was using the stock cooler, but I will certainly OC it to higher clocks and post new benchmarks after I solve the env. temp mistery, once again, thx for your help :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. rpg711

rpg711 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya and use 99% alcohol to clean off the thermal paste... i wasted thermal paste because i didnt do that.... also try to sand the bottom of the copper where it contacts the gpu and see how better it is... and also... ur case temps arnt that high so if it doesnt work it doesnt matter that much but if u realy care then, because the arctic cooling thing blows out of the case, put duct tape where the vent meets the case and that should minimize hot air recirculating in the case... if all fails then get a 110 cfm 120mm fan and see if its better :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU