1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just got a powerline adapter

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by james888, Dec 28, 2012.

1. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Newegg had a shell shocker deal for the EDIMAX 500Mbps Nano PowerLine Adapter Kit and I got them.

What would be the best way to test these to see how much, or if, they are any better than my wireless adapter?

Edit:
    Router is a netgear 3700v3 and the wireless adapter is an ENCORE ENEWI-2XN45 Wireless N300 rated for 300mbps. The router, sending computer, and recieving computer are all gigabit. Distance between the powerline adapters is 3 floors.

To test latency I used the command ping 192.168.1.1 -n 100

Wireless latency:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 5ms

Powerline latency:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 3ms

I did a load test with a 964mb mp4 video file.The sending computer was wired into the router during both load tests Over powerline it cycled from 3 megabytes/s to 5 megabytes/s in a very consistent manner producing a very nice speed graph in windows 8. Over wireless the speed ranged from a low of 200 kilobytes/s to a peak of 3 megabytes/s but having an average of 1 megabyte/s. The load test showed much more consistent speeds along with higher speeds over powerline.

The powerline adapter was much much more consistent as I expected. Just as consistent as if I was directly plugged into the router. I find it surprising though that the wireless had the lower minimum latency, although by 2 milliseconds. Speeds were not as good as being direct to the router, but still faster than wireless. Overall I think powerline adapters are far superior to wireless.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Cool luk...

3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't sure what luk meant, maybe some kinda internet slang I was not familiar with. Looked it up.
    [​IMG]

Am I close?
    I assume you just mean "Cool that you got a power line adapter"

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I think I just concocted that particular acronym, or at the very least it's probably not common. I meant 'let us know'...

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You want to test two things, latency and throughput.

To test latency just ping your router 100 times with each connection.

To test throughput you can try transferring a large file from one computer to another and time how long it takes.

james888 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Put testing info in OP.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU