1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

just received the Copper Heatpipe heatsink from AMD for my Phenom II X4!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by de.das.dude, Sep 25, 2010.

1. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Lol, it's not like you're not close to getting another star too. :D
    And yeah, I do that a lot, sorry. I just notice some mistakes after I post the reply. :p

2. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Congrades on ya new cooler, i only run those coolers on all of my systems, i have 5 of those coolers in total (1 spare) and they are excellent. 3 of the coolers are the same (AM3 coolers) and the other two a Skt 939 with the one on my FX-57 a 80mm fan with only five blades (the other is more standard), keeps the CPU very cool but when at full speed is very load lol.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  3. TheGrapist

Thanks Received:
    what would you want for that spare cooler?

4. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Congrats, I guess :toast:

de.das.dude says thanks.
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Sorry its not for sale :)

6. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it is, mine sounded like a hair dryer under full load. Thankfully I only had to use it for a few days but they were agonizing.

What's confusing about the noise is that an all aluminum Athlon II heatsink is completely silent under full load and keeps my X2 250 under 45C. The copper core + heat pipe + hair dryer fain Phenom II heatsink couldn't even manage 55C with an X4 955. Of course a Phenom II X4 produces more heat than an Athlon II X2, but the better heatsink design should offset that.

I would speculate that there may quality control issues with the Phenom II heatsink fan and / or pre-applied TIM. With a good lapping, upgraded fan (perhaps an 80mm ghetto mod) and upgraded TIM it would definitely be a much better heatsink.

7. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, the reason why AMD swapped the good old copper coolers for the aluminium ones is because in 2004, cpus were running at like 130watts, now cpu's mostly run at 95watts. Although AMD still does give out copper coolers for 125watt cpus

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    True.. mine produces 95W. so with this copper heatsink, i can even pull my cock to 3.6GHz.

9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Careful if you are going to Pull that thing at that frequency with a stock set-up, heat can damage sensitive parts.:laugh:

Nice cooler, glad they sent you a decent one.:)

scaminatrix and de.das.dude say thanks.
  10. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    just discovered that the AMD stock fan is temperature sensitive!!!

11. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    so is all stock HS's

12. Magikherbs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't change anything with your new HSF. Do you have a side intake fan ?

------
    For those with the LOUD jet engine like fans :eek:, your bios settings should have some kind of fan control. If it doesn't work then try updating the mobo's bios.
    My old one topped out at 6400rpm :twitch: .. I thought she was gonna blow lol
    If you look, you'll see a tiny sensor, around the hub of your cpu fan. I have my fan set so the sensor is pointing up/farthest from the GPU. That way it takes less heat coming up from the GPU.
    The fan on my previous cpu, Phenom 9150e, had this sensor concealed underneath the hub. It ran @ 2800 -3000 rpm and oh soo quiet heh.. with no fan control.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    (FIH) The Don says thanks.
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yeah!

14. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Still being stubborn on what I've said, I think my idea is still worth a shot! ;) And thanks again Don, for giving the initial idea that would serve as inspiration. :toast:
    Use or make (since you made the ghetto mod on your GPU, that is very good) something like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's basically an adapter, since you cannot use the actual screws to fit another fan, fit an adapter instead. The one in the image is actually for 70/80/92mm to 120mm, which would result in tons of added airflow to your heatsink, plus the fan on the side of the case you installed.
    Just another suggestion. :)

de.das.dude says thanks.
  15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    infact i was thinking of something like this. but the problem is, the fan on the new HSF is "clipped on" in a very rare manner.

there is a square plastic clip(the black thing u see) and in that are stubs for the holes of the fan. these stubs hold the fan in place while the whole thing clips on to the heatsink.

16. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Cool because they were nice, but not so cool the heatsink