• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just went from XP to 7

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
yes you may run into the occasional one... but you have a back and forward button on your mouse that do the same as the button did in windows. and if you mention a laptop, alt-arrow key does it there.

Back doesn't always work either. The last folder I was in isn't always the folder directly above the one I'm currently in.

I have yet to find a use for it. I know where everything is on my computer and on the rare occassion I dont, I hit F3. Windows 7 search function hasn't worked very well for me in situations where XP/Server 2003 worked as expected, however.

You push F3, I push the start button. The only difference is that the start button one is faster at doing its job if you just installed a piece of software and have no idea what random program folder it went in because.

24" 1920x1200 monitor and it still annoys the hell out of me.

Then I don't know what to tell you, it isn't any functionally worse, it is actually better, so I don't know what the problem is. So it takes up a little more room for the few seconds you have it open? It doesn't matter.

Doesn't need it. All the icons and minimized windows are small so "pinning" really serves no purpose quick launch/custom toolbars can't. Pinning was an attempt to clone the massive icons/apperance of Mac OS X--no more, no less.

Pinning has nothing to do with cloning the massive icons/apperance of Mac OS X. Pinning is a replacement for the quicklaunch bar(and pin to start menu was an easy way to get your favorite programs at the top of the start menu). What is good about pinning is that, unlike the quicklaunch toolbar, when you open a program, the icon goes away and the window is openned in its place, a great space saver. But again, if you don't like the feature, you don't have to use it, they left the quicklaunch in, so customize it the way you want and don't complain about new features that others wanted.

You haven't explained to me how Windows XP/2003 is more customizable than Win7. So far all I've seen is points where Win7 is more customizable. Like giving the option to use either the quicklaunch bar or the superbar, that is more customizable than WinXP/2003.

Last edited:
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Protip for vista/seven.

Don't both using control panels or anything like that, all the windows programs/apps will automatically be cached to the search bar.

So just hit windows key and start typing for what you want.

It's rate fast. And it's demi intelligent, will adapt to what you search for/run etc.

System Name CHAFF-G
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 @3.8Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 970 4GB
Display(s) 2012 model 1080p Sony BRAVIA LED TV @60Hz
Case 2007 model Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-750
Mouse Logitech K400r / BenQ Zowie EC1
Keyboard Logitech K400r / Corsair K63
Software Windows 10 Home
What is task scheduler?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Protip for vista/seven.

Don't both using control panels or anything like that, all the windows programs/apps will automatically be cached to the search bar.

So just hit windows key and start typing for what you want.

It's rate fast. And it's demi intelligent, will adapt to what you search for/run etc.

heres a good example of it. yes, theres some random results - but what i wanted (control panel sound) was there.

What is task scheduler?

thats been in there since well before XP.

System Name CHAFF-G
Software Windows 10 Home
Does it slow down your computer? Is it one of those unnecessary Windows tasks that annoys everybody and should be disabled is more or less what I'm getting at.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Does it slow down your computer? Is it one of those unnecessary Windows tasks that annoys everybody and should be disabled is more or less what I'm getting at.

I don't know about others here, but I don't find any of the windows processes slow down my rig one bit.

Sure they use a bit of ram but they seem to only use CPU cycles when your not using them your self.

System Name CHAFF-G
Software Windows 10 Home
Yeah, I just read about all of these small fixes and registry hacks people will do to make Windows run better, I thought maybe it was one of those things.

System Name Freyja
Processor Core i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon HD 7970
Storage Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD + Seagate 2 TB HD
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case NZXT Tempest 210
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 750W
Software Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit
Back doesn't always work either. The last folder I was in isn't always the folder directly above the one I'm currently in.

Did you try this?

Just click on the << button. I went computer > c: > program files (x86) > M. A V. C > drivers, and when I clicked the << button, it had the hidden folders like program files (x86), c:, and computer.

Also you can click on the little arrow next to the folder name like so and have all the folders within that folder appear.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Did you try this?
http://img.techpowerup.org/110316/Untitled.png
Just click on the << button. I went computer > c: > program files (x86) > M. A V. C > drivers, and when I clicked the << button, it had the hidden folders like program files (x86), c:, and computer.

Also you can click on the little arrow next to the folder name like so and have all the folders within that folder appear.

http://img.techpowerup.org/110316/Untitled2.png

Yes, but then that is multiple clicks, the up arrow is a single click that takes me to the folder directly above the one I'm currently in.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The only difference is that the start button one is faster at doing its job if you just installed a piece of software and have no idea what random program folder it went in because.
The fastest way to find installed software is to look at the Target path in the shortcut. If the shortcut works, it will always take you straight to it.

I agree that ".." (up directory) is superior to the back/forward buttons in Windows Vista/7. The back and forward buttons mostly piss me off so I never use them. Hell, that whole thing pisses me off so I usually end up opening one Explorer per directory I am working in. If there is a lot of work to be done, I'll move all the folders to the desktop.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The fastest way to find installed software is to look at the Target path in the shortcut. If the shortcut works, it will always take you straight to it.

Yes, and that is my point, I don't put shortcuts on me desktop. So to find the shortcut in the start menu, I sometime find using the search box is quicker than scrolling through all the folders trying to figure out which one belongs to the software I just installed.

F3 will let me search for the shortcut, but it has to search through all the other shit too. The search box in the start menu starts by searching the start menu. It doesn't search through every file in my computer. In fact, with F3, if I'm at the desktop when I press it, it only searchs the desktop, which is useless since it is empty. I have to select where to search first, then tell it to search. With the search box in the start menu, I just press the windows key, start typing and it instantly starts pulling up programs that match what I'm typing. I don't even have to finish the word, or take my hands off the keyboard to move the mouse to tell it where to search.

streetfighter 2

Windows 7 is a really talented wild horse and you need to break it. One of the ways you can break it is to put it in a circle and let it run itself to death. My personal opinion is it's best to hop on and attempt to ride it out, though occasionally I come crashing down and break my spleen. If you're following that analogy, you probably made a connection with XP as well.

Some people are satisfied with only a partial (or complete lack) of taming the OS. None of those people are power users so their opinions aren't of much utility to me.

Everything that's wrong with Windows 7 I summarized in this picture.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
There was very little transition time between Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 to Windows XP. All you had to do was right click on the Task Bar, select Properties, and change the Start Menu to "Classic." There were some changes in the advanced options (especially in regards to where networking settings were located) between Windows 95 and 98 but you could find it within a minute. In Vista/7, something as simple as configuing wireless networks can take 5 minutes to find because it buried under menu, after menu, after menu. In my experience, everything they had right with Windows XP and down, they broke in Windows Vista/7.

I don't care if you spend 10 years on the OS, they'll never be as easy to reach as they were previously without extensive modding that was completely unnecessary previously. Microsoft screwed up by dumbing the OS down when it was already fairly dumbed down. That's the primary reason people hate Vista and 7 is only met with any success because XP is almost a decade old and most OEMs only offer Windows 7.

Oh, and Windows Media Player 12 is a complete failure when it comes to networking.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I've got w2k3 as a workstation on my main rig. Love it.

I received W7 starter on my netbook. I tried and tried with it. Horrible. I now run w2k3 on the netbook. It runs faster too!

Pet hates about W7
1 - nasty interface for old skool users. Might be ok for a *new* PC user to learn, but the changes didn't add value or productivity to people who knew the old system inside out. They ended up further DOWN the learning curve. Getting back up takes time and energy, and once mastered, you dont really get any productivity benefits at all = fail in my book
2 - terrible reordering of control panel that alphabetical order goes across not down. This is so frustrating to scan by eye
3 - "starter" is so handicapped it is silly. MS should have realised that most people buying laptops and netbooks getting "starter" incl. in the package are EXISTING customers. It is stupid to give them something more crippled than what 99% of them were working with before. Own goal.
4 - I find w7 slow, a bigger resource hog than w2k3. I thought MS had a whole development team working on refacturing and streamlining Windows. IMO W7 should be lighter and faster and simpler... Apple seems to be good in this area
5 - I strongly believe that the next iteration of Windows WILL be a major improvement/streamlining and will wait until W8 is released before leaving W2k3

But I would like to thank everyone who has offered "how to fix" suggestions for W7. We should have a section on TPU about "builds" where we recommend how to set up Windows and "fix" all the features. (More fixes are needed in W7 than XP/2K3 ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
There was very little transition time between Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 to Windows XP. All you had to do was right click on the Task Bar, select Properties, and change the Start Menu to "Classic." There were some changes in the advanced options (especially in regards to where networking settings were located) between Windows 95 and 98 but you could find it within a minute. In Vista/7, something as simple as configuing wireless networks can take 5 minutes to find because it buried under menu, after menu, after menu. In my experience, everything they had right with Windows XP and down, they broke in Windows Vista/7.

I don't care if you spend 10 years on the OS, they'll never be as easy to reach as they were previously without extensive modding that was completely unnecessary previously. Microsoft screwed up by dumbing the OS down when it was already fairly dumbed down. That's the primary reason people hate Vista and 7 is only met with any success because XP is almost a decade old and most OEMs only offer Windows 7.

Oh, and Windows Media Player 12 is a complete failure when it comes to networking.

For the general user configuring a wireless network is far easier than it was in XP. It is as simple as clicking on the network icon in the tray, selecting the network you want to connect to, and entering the password.

Same thing with changing or deleting or adding a wireless network that isn't seen.

With XP it was:

Right click network icon in system tray.
Select Status.
Click on Properties Button.
Go to Wireless Tab.
Then you got to deal with a tiny unintuative little box.

With 7 it is:

Click network icon in system tray.
Select Network and Sharing Center.
Click Manage Wireless Network.
Now you get a nice big intuative Window.

It doesn't take 5 minutes to find in Win7, it is actually quicker to get to than it was in XP.:laugh:

I've got w2k3 as a workstation on my main rig. Love it.

I received W7 starter on my netbook. I tried and tried with it. Horrible. I now run w2k3 on the netbook. It runs faster too!

Pet hates about W7
1 - nasty interface for old skool users. Might be ok for a *new* PC user to learn, but the changes didn't add value or productivity to people who knew the old system inside out. They ended up further DOWN the learning curve. Getting back up takes time and energy, and once mastered, you dont really get any productivity benefits at all = fail in my book
2 - terrible reordering of control panel that alphabetical order goes across not down. This is so frustrating to scan by eye
3 - "starter" is so handicapped it is silly. MS should have realised that most people buying laptops and netbooks getting "starter" incl. in the package are EXISTING customers. It is stupid to give them something more crippled than what 99% of them were working with before. Own goal.
4 - I find w7 slow, a bigger resource hog than w2k3. I thought MS had a whole development team working on refacturing and streamlining Windows. IMO W7 should be lighter and faster and simpler... Apple seems to be good in this area
5 - I strongly believe that the next iteration of Windows WILL be a major improvement/streamlining and will wait until W8 is released before leaving W2k3

But I would like to thank everyone who has offered "how to fix" suggestions for W7. We should have a section on TPU about "builds" where we recommend how to set up Windows and "fix" all the features. (More fixes are needed in W7 than XP/2K3 ;)

1.) Old schoolers need to STFU already and deal with the fact that things change and they need to learn. No it doesn't put them lower on the learning curve, it puts them right at the same spot on the learning curve as everyone else. The only difference is that some people like to bitch about how terrible it is that they changes something, while others are learning how to use it.
2.) That is annoying, but it is also why I make the Control Panel a menu from the State Menu, so that everything is in alpha order from top to bottom.
3.) Have you ever used XP Starter Edition? I have, and if you go from XP Starter Edition to Win7 Starter Edition, you would jump up and down with joy. Because XP Starter Edition was utter crap. But what do you really expect for free? Yes, Microsoft essentially gives this OS away to OEMs for netbooks/ULCPCs for free.
4.) Win7 is a lot faster on every PC I've installed it on, including my netbook. Yes, it does use more resources than XP, but it uses them more efficiently. And the Superfetch feature, which makes it appear to use even more memory when it really isn't, makes it even faster.

Last edited:
System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Be sure to use Ford's game explorer utility. As Windows 7's in house game explorer is a bit ropey to say the least.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Be sure to use Ford's game explorer utility. As Windows 7's in house game explorer is a bit ropey to say the least.

Yeah, it's shit. Ford's game explorer utility is a life saver!

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye

I now present to you, the quote of the year. I know it's only March, but it's downright impossible to beat this.

On another fantastic coincidence, the wireless kicked the bucket and I really do need to get into the settings for the wireless card, any help would be appreciated.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Right click network icon in system tray.
Select Status.
Click on Properties Button.
Go to Wireless Tab.
Then you got to deal with a tiny unintuative little box.
No:
1. Double click on the Wireless Network icon in the system tray (alternatively, right-click and select "View Available Wireless Networks"). This opens "Wireless Network Connection" window.
2. Click on "Change advanced settings" on the left.

Bam, there's your list of preferred networks. Don't have to search at all for it. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be.

On another fantastic coincidence, the wireless kicked the bucket and I really do need to get into the settings for the wireless card, any help would be appreciated.
All I can say is good luck and try not to get pissed off. Prepare to run in circles. :(

Last edited:
System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Oh, and I'm on my dad's computer and it just did that "I've decided you've read every thread, so you don't know what's new and what's old" so I know it isn't my computer.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
No:
1. Double click on the Wireless Network icon in the system tray (alternatively, right-click and select "View Available Wireless Networks"). This opens "Wireless Network Connection" window.
2. Click on "Change advanced settings" on the left.

Bam, there's your list of preferred networks. Don't have to search at all for it. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be.

And this is so much quicker and more intuative than clicking on the network icon, clicking again on "Network and Sharing Center", and then clicking "Manage Wireless Networks"? It is certainly less intuative, as I would expect "Manage Wireless Networks" to be where I go to manage the wireless networks and not "Change advanced settings", but I don't think it is any quicker.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
We're going to have to agree to disagree on most of these points. :p

D

Deleted member 67555

A few suggestions that may have been posted already..
Control Panel....If you want CLASSIC VIEW change "View By" to Large or small ICONS to get classic View....

I forgot what else I was gonna post if it comes to me I'll edit

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
A few suggestions that may have been posted already..
Control Panel....If you want CLASSIC VIEW change "View By" to Large or small ICONS to get classic View....

I forgot what else I was gonna post if it comes to me I'll edit

I do like newtekie, display it as a menu in the start menu.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
We're going to have to agree to disagree on most of these points. :p

That sounds good. Don't get me wrong, obviously there are some things I don't like about Win7 also.:toast: