• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KabyLake (and Skylake) runing on Z370 mobo

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
A few people saying here what's the point. Yeah I get it but CL doesn't sell a 4C/8T in its line of processors yet so it might not be a bad option if you already have a KL.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
A few people saying here what's the point. Yeah I get it but CL doesn't sell a 4C/8T in its line of processors yet so it might not be a bad option if you already have a KL.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you already have Kaby Lake, you already have a board that can use Kaby Lake, so just buy a 4C/8T Kaby Lake.

There really isn't a lot of point though if you are buying new anyway, when the i7-7700 is selling for basically the same price as the i5-8600K. The 6C/6T configuration is better than a 4C/8T setup.

No, you said they could make it(meaning coffee lake on z170/270) work on higher end boards, like the ROG Maximus. I'm asking how you believe that just because the z170/270 motherboard is a higher end board it would be possible to make coffee lake work reliably and safely. Explain that to me. Why does the z170/270 board being higher end make it able to safely run a 6-core coffee lake processor.
Yes I said that but higher end doesn't mean just the Z boards, any board with better components that can reliably handle 6 cores. Something like ROG has premium quality components, more expansion slots, better (higher speed) RAM support et al.

The ASUS rep said that they could handle power delivery with the same socket, so no reason why Intel couldn't limit CFL for high end/premium boards. Also why do I have to buy a z370 if I need just an 8400, explain that?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes I said that but higher end doesn't mean z boards, any board with better components that can reliably handle 6 cores. Something like ROG has premium quality components, more expansion slots, better (higher speed) RAM support et al.

The ASUS rep said that they could handle power delivery with the same socket, so no reason why Intel couldn't limit CFL for high end/premium boards. Also why do I have to buy a z370 if I need just an 8400, explain that?

Higher quality power components doesn't solve the problem of too much current flowing through too few socket pins. Nothing solves that other than more pins, which is what they did with Z370. There are risks involved when you don't have enough power pins in the socket, and Intel has been burned(no pun intended) by it in the past. Intel didn't decided to add 32 extra power pins to the socket just for the fuck of it.

And the ASUS rep didn't say they could do it reliably or safely, they just said Coffee Lake could work on Z170/270 boards. Hell, he didn't even specify that the 6-core processors would be possible, he simply said Coffee Lake.

Plus, ASUS isn't exactly the authority to believe when it comes to safe and reliable power delivery. I mean, these are the people that think it's perfectly Ok to run an i7 on a 3-phase VRM...

Higher quality power components doesn't solve the problem of too much current flowing through too few socket pins. Nothing solves that other than more pins, which is what they did with Z370. There are risks involved when you don't have enough power pins in the socket, and Intel has been burned(no pun intended) by it in the past.

And the ASUS rep didn't say they could do it reliably or safely, they just said Coffee Lake could work on Z170/270 boards. Hell, he didn't even specify that the 6-core processors would be possible, he simply said Coffee Lake.

Plus, ASUS isn't exactly the authority to believe when it comes to safe and reliable power delivery. I mean, these are the people that think it's perfectly Ok to run an i7 on a 3-phase VRM...
We don't know how much of a difference the extra pins made, no one does, reliably without testing a six core CFL on z270. We also don't know whether the extra pins were added just for CFL or the upcoming i9, in which case it would make more sense though there's every chance they'll redo a z370 & lock current owners from upgrading to an octa core.

And we are to believe Intel, who's history is littered with so many anti consumer/competition incidents that it'd need a separate page to list them all?

A low power quad core (S or T) version should work fine on a 3 phase VRM.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
We don't know how much of a difference the extra pins made, no one does, reliably without testing a six core CFL on z270. We also don't know whether the extra pins were added just for CFL or the upcoming i9, in which case it would make more sense though there's every chance they'll redo a z370 & lock current owners from upgrading to an octa core.

Intel knows. And we already know Z390 is on the way. And you're just grasping at straws at this point to hope Intel is the big bad company you believe they are. You're coming up with conspiracy theories before products are even close to being released now...

And we are to believe Intel, who's history is littered with so many anti consumer/competition incidents that it'd need a separate page to list them all?

Having seen the melted sockets of the past, I'd believe Intel. I'd definitely believe them more than ASUS. Maybe you didn't realize that a few posts up a person that does motherboard reviews professionaly agreeing that the old socket likely couldn't do it safely and reliably. But, hey, what would he know.

A low power quad core (S or T) version should work fine on a 3 phase VRM.

And yet they think the K versions will work just fine...

Intel knows. And we already know Z390 is on the way. And you're just grasping at straws at this point to hope Intel is the big bad company you believe they are. You're coming up with conspiracy theories before products are even close to being released now...

Having seen the melted sockets of the past, I'd believe Intel. I'd definitely believe them more than ASUS. Maybe you didn't realize that a few posts up a person that does motherboard reviews professionaly agreeing that the old socket likely couldn't do it safely and reliably. But, hey, what would he know.

And yet they think the K versions will work just fine...
Yet you haven't explained why an existing KBL won't work with Z370 or why does an i5 8400 sell with just Z370 to pair it with, only conspiracy theories you think? My theory ~ they've shut out existing KBL owners from upgrading to a hex core, & possibly octa core in the future, deliberately!

I've already explained this, let me repeat ~ was z370 a necessity? Possibly, but then how do you explain KBL being shut out of working on Z370, maybe Dave can answer that as well?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yet you haven't explained why an existing KBL won't work with Z370

We've gone over this. There is no point in Kaby Lake working with Z370. No one is just upgrading their motherboard, so it doesn't really matter. Furthermore, that isn't what we are discussing. We are discussing Coffee Lake working on Z170/270. That was your original statement, that is what I responded to, that is what we are discussing. Because no one gives a rats ass about Kaby Lake working on Z370.

or why does an i5 8400 sell with just Z370 to pair it with

Well that is because Coffee Lake is a rushed launch. The other chipsets, and lower end processors, aren't ready yet. Q1 of 2018 sees the release of H310, B360, Q360, Q370, and H370. Q1 or 2018 was originally supposed to be the launch for the entire Coffee Lake line, but Intel pushed the enthusiast portion up to Q4 2017 to compete with AMD's higher core count Ryzen AM4 processors during the holiday season.

My theory ~ they've shut out existing KBL owners from upgrading to a hex core, & possibly octa core in the future, deliberately!

And your theory is wrong.

I've already explained this, let me repeat ~ was z370 a necessity?

Z370 was nothing more than a moniker to separate compatibility. It is there to tell you that the motherboard you are buying is compatible with Coffee Lake. They didn't change the number of pins, so without renaming the socket, the next option is to rename the chipset. And even if they did rename the socket to something like 1151-V2, they would have incremented to chipset number as well just to stick with tradition.

The change in pin function on the socket was necessary.

Possibly, but then how do you explain KBL being shut out of working on Z370, maybe Dave can answer that as well?

There is no reason for Z370 to support Kaby Lake. Do you really know a lot of people rushing out to upgrade their motherboard and keep their old processor? In your fantasy world is that something that is in high demand? And why would they even bother, Z270 has pretty much the identical feature set to Z370.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
If you already have Kaby Lake, you already have a board that can use Kaby Lake, so just buy a 4C/8T Kaby Lake.

There really isn't a lot of point though if you are buying new anyway, when the i7-7700 is selling for basically the same price as the i5-8600K. The 6C/6T configuration is better than a 4C/8T setup.

Its just the simple fact that you can buy the board now, slap your processor in and wait for a steal on a 6C/12T.

Me, I'm not sure I would do that but some people might like the option. Doesn't hurt...

Well I was looking to upgrade the motherboard to support argb. And I do not have the money to upgrade both cpu and motherboard. I wanted to upgrade my board and then when I have the money. To upgrade GPU and monitor. The board I got was so I could get the computer running

D

Deleted member 24505

Having a scroll through some pages of that thread, it is interesting. The guy is very clever, and is testing a lot of 370 boards. He may have been modding the bios's and using spi to flash them back. The translation is not great though. It does seem highly possible to get a 6/7th gen running on a 370 board. I think he was using MM tool to edit the bios's. I have a link to MM tool if anyone wants it

It is the IME that blocks using 6/7 gen cpus on z370 (and other 300 series 22nm PCHs). On some motherboards all that is needed is swapping for older version (i.e. 11.6).
Unfortunately 14nm chipsets use newer ME12, and such trick does not work here.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'd much rather see 8th gen CPU's running on Z170.....
And that M$ still offering windows updates to pre windows 10 OS's....

One can only dream...:ohwell:

Serial number?

That's already a thing :) My OCF Z170M works with all CPUs, up to and including the 9900k :) I just don't have a CPU for it :(