• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kaspersky finds ASUS PCs hit by backdoors sneaked into software updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
https://arstechnica.com/information...stalled-backdoor-on-at-least-0-5-million-pcs/

Over 57,000 Kaspersky users have downloaded and installed the backdoored version of ASUS Live Update at some point in time... We are not able to calculate the total count of affected users based only on our data; however, we estimate that the real scale of the problem is much bigger and is possibly affecting over a million users worldwide.

LOL that is all I have to say... and since Asus has been doing BIOS level software installs (even on clean installs of Z390 mobo's).... so glad I went with MSI!!! and even with MSI I do manual updates... rofl I love companies like ASUS who are like here enjoy our RGB software and Live Updates!!! we promise it's safe! we have high level people working on it!!! :clap:

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Excellent thread, until the part where you started shilling for MSI:)

When getting my current setup, I tried to be more open and researched MSI mobos too this time. MSI's offering in my price bracket was $10 cheaper, but infinitely more meager in features, build quality and even looks. Asus has extremely good offerings.

Anyway, this issue only affects those lazy people who actually use EZ Update to update Asus software. I have EZ update service disabled, as well as the task manager entry and even removed the startup entry manually. I only update through the official ASUS site, issue solved.

ASUS is probably the most successful mobo brand in regards of sales so it's natural that they're getting the hacking love

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Excellent thread, until the part where you started shilling for MSI:)

When getting my current setup, I tried to be more open and researched MSI mobos too this time. MSI's offering in my price bracket was $10 cheaper, but infinitely more meager in features, build quality and even looks. Asus has extremely good offerings.

Anyway, this issue only affects those lazy people who actually use EZ Update to update Asus software. I have EZ update service disabled, as well as the task manager entry and even removed the startup entry manually. I only update through the official ASUS site, issue solved.

ASUS is probably the most successful mobo brand in regards of sales so it's natural that they're getting the hacking love

how am I shilling for MSI? I prefer their BIOS layout better, I was able to OC my ram to 13-14-14-31 at 3200 on samsung b-die, the VRM's have been excellent for cooling even on Z370 mobos they were better in VRM cooling than any other budget board. higher end boards they still competed toe to toe with Asus.

eh its not shilling, I just have had good luck with MSI and I genuinely prefer their BIOS layout

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The backdoored version must be manually downloaded as it is modified. I don't see how that has anything to do with the one that ships with board bioses which is likely signed.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
I just have had good luck with MSI and I genuinely prefer their BIOS layout
I feel the same, except for ASUS. I really love their BIOS layout, everything else seems chinese to me.

yep, MSI mobos are decent. But I owe ASUS: My z97-A saved my PC from 2 serious storm power surges (while my modem router got fried) On that day I said... yep... thanks ASUS

Tho I love Asus BIOS better than anyone else's, try getting tech support from Asus these days ... with the way they avoid answering a question and respond by answering a question you never asked, they all have a future career as politicians or WH spokespersons. I still use their TUF series but not the ROG line.

As to the problem ... I'd recommend never let any program, utility, or OS install hardware drivers.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Just a few years ago MSI was junk. Bottom tier stuff. Right down there with Assrock, chain tech, and other garbage.Their boards may be ok now only because overclocking is so simple these days, it’s just up to the cpu. Throw some disco lights on them and now they are awesome! Luckily I don’t use that automated stuff, I prefer the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.