• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kepler 2D surround w/ 4 monitors? anyone ?

In the Ether...probably eating cheetos atm.
System Name Surprising Mini Duece
Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55M-LE
Cooling Cooler Master Vortex
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature Series 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz w/ spreaders.
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Storage Segate Sata II 64mb cache 1TB single platter.. fast but chirpy lol
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Case Aerocool QX-2000 .. my latest project
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic x650 Gold! Primo 105Celisius Jap cap wonder.
Software Whatever I can pirate ;) lol jk .. Windows 7 legit license
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
Hi guys, Welcome to my forum thread. MY FIRST ONE :eek:

Ok, So I'm looking to get into a new Kepler 660 series when they come out and I am trying to wrap my head around how the 3 monitor surround ON ONE CARD is going to work. It appears that on some material I read it's going to be 3 shared and 1 independent but I could have sworn on Nvidia's site somewhere or another forum it said Kepler has the ability to do 4 independent. Can't seem to find it though... Am I wrong? Could someone please confirm or deny?

For those asking what's the big deal of independent? Well I work in IT with 3 monitors at work and the independent let's you work in sep monitors maximized without having to resize all the time and I'm kind of used to that. I could do four independent with 2 on from my onboard graphics and 2 from my card DVI ports because my P7H55 Mobo allows IGD + PEG at same time; but, then I'd have to have double connections to a couple of monitors so I could software switch to 2D surround on the fly. I'm not sure if that's even possible with the card technology if it will let me turn off/on the 2D surround in the Nvidia control panel or if it's automatic when the hardware is connected. Confirm/Deny anyone ?

My monitors of choice will be the Asus VS247H-P just for reference. It's 1920X1200 (or 1080, can't remember) LED 2ms 60hz > 1 DVI and 1 HDMI input. I know it's not 120hz but seems to be I can only get those on the 3D monitors and well also seems like not all games will run at that from what some posts were saying it's a bit problematic to get it to run at 120hz for some games and setups. I'm thinking the 2ms will help the 60hz just fine.

Also, anyone with a new GTX 680 on 3 monitors feel free to post more (or manual links) about how it works like for example 1. Is there an on or off setting in Nvidia control panel? 2. Is it all or nothing where it has to be 3 way shared + 1 independent? 3. Is it capable of at least 2 independent and possibly 4 independent? Not sure it will do four because it has only 1 Dual Link-DVI.

Finally, anyone with *cough *cough* ... AMD Eyefinity feel free to post about AMD's solution for 3 monitors I'm not opposed to hearing more about that either. I am considering that option as well. Does the AMD eyefinity let you do 4 independent? I do know the eyefinity will work with any monitor as long as same resolution and sync, so will the Nvidia from what I've read but it's recommended to have all monitors Identical.

So again, any insight on how the Kepler 1card multiple 2D/surround is going to work or how it does on the AMD side would be great. Also, please keep it cool. This is not a debate on which is better AMD vs Nvidia just looking to understand the 3+ monitor options for them both and make a decision as to which will work best for me. :)
Thanks. :toast:

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
*wall of text crit you for 39999 HP*

nvidia says 4 independent displays that are active at the same time, which means showing different output

dont know anything else, still waiting for delivery of my 3 monitor order

Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
*wall of text crit you for 39999 HP*

nvidia says 4 independent displays that are active at the same time, which means showing different output

dont know anything else, still waiting for delivery of my 3 monitor order

Surely I crit more than that!... go big or go home right?
Ty for 4 independent verification.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
I think you might new an HDMI to DVI and Display Port to DVI adapter to run four DVI monitors from one card, or you can use a regular HDMI cable if your monitors have such connection.

I have three monitors, but I also use two 680 cards, so I connect two DVI cables to the upper card, and one to the lower. Hope that helps :)

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
they say it is possible

I think you might new an HDMI to DVI and Display Port to DVI adapter to run four DVI monitors from one card, or you can use a regular HDMI cable if your monitors have such connection.

I have three monitors, but I also use two 680 cards, so I connect two DVI cables to the upper card, and one to the lower. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for reply, Yea I'll probably need the DP>DVI connector althought by the time I get all matched monitors I'll probably have 2 cards in SLI. :) first monitor ships TODAY! yea!
PS props on the 2 GTX680s! :respect:

they say it is possible

Thanks Bo$$,
:toast:

Last edited: