• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kinect lag.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I've asked this in the comment sections of the most technically inclined blogs around, even ananadtech when they did their review, but no one seems to have an answer. Is the kinect's latency issue due to being capped at 10% of the xbox's processing power, usb 2.0 limits, the webcam, or a processing unit on the kinect itself? Depending on the answer, kinect may be much more useful for pc gaming. I know it already runs at double resolution on the pc, enabling individual finger tracking. That should mean it can do the same on the 360 but for some reason they're using really crappy compression and half-res like it's a cable problem. If the lag issue is gone on the pc it'd be suitable for some serious gaming.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I've asked this in the comment sections of the most technically inclined blogs around, even ananadtech when they did their review, but no one seems to have an answer. Is the kinect's latency issue due to being capped at 10% of the xbox's processing power, usb 2.0 limits, the webcam, or a processing unit on the kinect itself? Depending on the answer, kinect may be much more useful for pc gaming. I know it already runs at double resolution on the pc, enabling individual finger tracking. That should mean it can do the same on the 360 but for some reason they're using really crappy compression and half-res like it's a cable problem. If the lag issue is gone on the pc it'd be suitable for some serious gaming.

I'm pretty fussy and hate motion controlled gaming. But I picked up Kinect around XMAS time (cheap off a friend) and I'm really surprised at how good it actually is :D But I don't know how well it will translate to serious games :( Only time will tell tbh.