• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

King's Bounty: The Legend

Anyone else played this game? As a Heroes of Might & Magic II-III fan, I like it, but at the same time I find it frustrating when it comes to acquiring replacement units. The castles seem to only replenish or introduce new units after you gain a certain amount of levels, and if you burn through them too quickly, you end up having to replace them with something different. Level 4-5 units can be especially troublesome to replenish or replace & usually require jumping back & forth between continents.

djavaoli

Ah, great memories.

I played all DLCs and the original game. They are all the same, but in different settings and all are awesome. :)

Yes, you'll have a lot of backtracking after boss fights, but it didn't bother me. Just invest everything you have in leadership and you are good to go.

HoM&M III - my respect, mate. Among 5 best games for me.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I can't play anything that reminds me of Heroes 3. I just go back to that.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Anyone else played this game? As a Heroes of Might & Magic II-III fan, I like it, but at the same time I find it frustrating when it comes to acquiring replacement units. The castles seem to only replenish or introduce new units after you gain a certain amount of levels, and if you burn through them too quickly, you end up having to replace them with something different. Level 4-5 units can be especially troublesome to replenish or replace & usually require jumping back & forth between continents.
This where KB differs quite a lot from Heroes. You really need to take care of your units. You need to be mindful of synergies between them and not recruit something just because you can. I remember I have finished one campaign (can't recall which one exactly, I think it was the second in the series) without losing a single unit. Some units died in battle, of course, but I had everyone resurrected by the time the battle was over.
Tbh, I found KB frustrating at first. But after I learned its ways and stopped playing it like Heroes, it became really enjoyable. And the difficulty was part of the fun.

Ah, great memories.

I played all DLCs and the original game. They are all the same, but in different settings and all are awesome. :)

Yes, you'll have a lot of backtracking after boss fights, but it didn't bother me. Just invest everything you have in leadership and you are good to go.

HoM&M III - my respect, mate. Among 5 best games for me.
Not just boss fights, but any fight that involves losing units since I like to keep unit stacks at or almost full strength.
I think that would be a bad idea dumping everything into leadership. Sure, you'll have a lot more units per stack, but they're going to be weaker; especially if you're playing a mage, which is what I'm currently playing for my first time through. For this particular character, I put most into intel, followed by defense, and maybe a couple of points into attack. Right now I have around 11 attack / 24 defense / 32 intelligence / 116 mana / 69 rage and around 18,000 leadership at level 27.
Another problem I foresee with going for really high leadership and not putting enough into attack & defense is you won't be able to replenish the units enough to keep them at full strength and you'll eventually have to replace the low-count stack with a different unit from somewhere else that hopefully has sufficient numbers to recruit. Orc Veterans are probably one of the best humanoid melee units, but unfortunately, I was only able to recruit all of them once at the orc stronghold/castle in the Western Islands. Haven't found them anywhere else yet.

This where KB differs quite a lot from Heroes. You really need to take care of your units. You need to be mindful of synergies between them and not recruit something just because you can. I remember I have finished one campaign (can't recall which one exactly, I think it was the second in the series) without losing a single unit. Some units died in battle, of course, but I had everyone resurrected by the time the battle was over.
Tbh, I found KB frustrating at first. But after I learned its ways and stopped playing it like Heroes, it became really enjoyable. And the difficulty was part of the fun.

Resurrection helps, but its not always an option as that spell eats through mana quicker than most other spells. By the time I need to start using it, I'm about 2/3 through all of my mana from blasting away troublesome units early(i.e. necromancers, enemy archers, stupid wolves with fear effect, etc.) and sometimes end up having to slow the last enemy stack(assuming its under lvl 5) and drag the fight out until I regenerate enough mana to cast it on all the units that need it.
I do take care of my units as I figured out very early in the game that units don't restock often enough to zerg your way through all of the fights. So far I've only had two instances of running out of units: Archmages(which I was able to use again when they replenished at their recruitment locations), and Veteran Orcs(which I fear won't be returning anywhere). Its just a pain in the ass having to run to different locations to build up or rebuild the army.
Right now my army consists of Black, Green, and Red Dragons, Archmages, Shamans, and Priests. I try to nuke as much as possible in the first 2-3 turns since I can use spells 2x per turn 3 times. With my current intel stat, my highest damage spell is Ice Snake which does 4200 dmg at lvl 3. I'm finding in the Demon area some of their units are a pain, such as the Arch Demons with their really high defense. Those Cerberus dogs were a real problem for me when I first encountered them on the dwarven continent in the mines, too. Its a good thing I have good defense or I would be losing a lot of units in the demon area with their defense bonus. I'll have to experiment with some more different units.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I can't play anything that reminds me of Heroes 3. I just go back to that.
This. I tried KBounty but it just doesnt compare. Its also built in a way that was typical for this era of early 3D and devs 'trying things'. The whole thing looks and feels meh, like many early 3D games building on 2D/isometric game concepts. Camera issues, and just overall looking crappy and feeling clunky.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Lost interest in HoMM past the 3rd one, but X I liked the most. I dont remember kings bounty, I think I'll have to give it a looksee now.

This. I tried KBounty but it just doesnt compare. Its also built in a way that was typical for this era of early 3D and devs 'trying things'. The whole thing looks and feels meh, like many early 3D games building on 2D/isometric game concepts. Camera issues, and just overall looking crappy and feeling clunky.
This would be natural since King's Bounty laid the foundation for starting the whole HoMM series. Travel in KB looks better and has more freedom for exploration than HoMM I-III, but I prefer the overland map view of the latter and not having to mess around with the view limiting camera view in KB. Another thing I do not like about KB is the orientation of the mini-map to the hero vs. the map itself, which can be confusing when trying to navigate from point A to point B on the mini-map compared to what you're looking at on the regional map. I absolutely hate it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This would be natural since King's Bounty laid the foundation for starting the whole HoMM series. Travel in KB looks better and has more freedom for exploration than HoMM I-III, but I prefer the overland map view of the latter and not having to mess around with the view limiting camera view in KB. Another thing I do not like about KB is the orientation of the mini-map to the hero vs. the map itself, which can be confusing when trying to navigate from point A to point B on the mini-map compared to what you're looking at on the regional map. I absolutely hate it.

KB laid the foundation for HoMM? Wasn't it the other way around? Or do you mean for the conversion to a 3D HoMM? Because that was realistically just the same game but with 3D graphics, if we disregard the utter failures in between the 'normal' ones. It even brought HoMM2 and 3 maps and mechanics back. (Was it Heroes VI? I lost count between all the less memorable junk :D)

For some reason I can still get much more game out of HoMM 2 and 3 than any other installment. Even VI, though it does approach the old brilliance, isn't quite there: its far too easy to roflstomp the cpu. Yes, they can still (in some lucky occasions or with too much time) get a hold of true doomstacks, but its very rare, or you have to be very slow. In many HoMM2 maps I would find myself outgunned in one area or outmaneuvered in another, and heroes could get REALLY strong if the game dragged on.

KB laid the foundation for HoMM? Wasn't it the other way around? Or do you mean for the conversion to a 3D HoMM? Because that was realistically just the same game but with 3D graphics, if we disregard the utter failures in between the 'normal' ones. It even brought HoMM2 and 3 maps and mechanics back. (Was it Heroes VI? I lost count between all the less memorable junk :D)

For some reason I can still get much more game out of HoMM 2 and 3 than any other installment. Even VI, though it does approach the old brilliance, isn't quite there: its far too easy to roflstomp the cpu. Yes, they can still (in some lucky occasions or with too much time) get a hold of true doomstacks, but its very rare, or you have to be very slow. In many HoMM2 maps I would find myself outgunned in one area or outmaneuvered in another, and heroes could get REALLY strong if the game dragged on.
I'm fairly certain that KB was originally released by New World Computing around 1990-91, about 5 years prior to the first HoMM game being published by the same company, so yes, they did.

On some HoMM3 campaign maps, if you dicked around too long and don't expand(capture castles, strongholds, resources, etc.) enough, you'll get roflstomped since there's usually a couple of enemy heroes that have much higher stats at the start. There was one campaign that you had to unlock in HoMM3 that I could not beat. iirc, it was the one where you were stuck on an island and were suppose to island hop, a "Gilligan's Island" parody.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'm fairly certain that KB was originally released by New World Computing around 1990-91, about 5 years prior to the first HoMM game being published by the same company, so yes, they did.
There's that, but I'm not sure there's any link between the original KB (haven't played it) and modern releases, which are supposed to be "spiritual successors".
On some HoMM3 campaign maps, if you dicked around too long and don't expand(capture castles, strongholds, resources, etc.) enough, you'll get roflstomped since there's usually a couple of enemy heroes that have much higher stats at the start. There was one campaign that you had to unlock in HoMM3 that I could not beat. iirc, it was the one where you were stuck on an island and were suppose to island hop, a "Gilligan's Island" parody.
Oh, I remember that one. You were hiring your wolves and goblins to fight the enemies' ancient behemoths. Pure joy.
I only beat that because after each fight I was 10-20 wolves ahead and, after several months passed, I could amass a large amount of them. To this day, I'm still not sure whether there was a better way and I simply exploited some glitch.

There's that, but I'm not sure there's any link between the original KB (haven't played it) and modern releases, which are supposed to be "spiritual successors".

Oh, I remember that one. You were hiring your wolves and goblins to fight the enemies' ancient behemoths. Pure joy.
I only beat that because after each fight I was 10-20 wolves ahead and, after several months passed, I could amass a large amount of them. To this day, I'm still not sure whether there was a better way and I simply exploited some glitch.
There wasn't any glitch that I knew. After trying & retrying it a couple of times, I just gave up because there just wasn't any way to beat it. After the first couple of fights, I didn't have enough units nor any way to get more within enough time to get a stronghold/castle if there was one nearby.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Steam has this on sale for 75% off.:D

$1.74

Steam has this on sale for 75% off.:D

$1.74
I'm honestly starting to wonder about Steam. Which is better, Steam or GOG? I just started buying games on GOG not too long ago. Steam appears to have a lot more games, but it also suffers from not breaking some of the games off of the need to install yet another launcher & setting up yet another account in order to log in and be able to play the game. Personally I don't think games like that should even be sold on GOG or Steam.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'm honestly starting to wonder about Steam. Which is better, Steam or GOG? I just started buying games on GOG not too long ago. Steam appears to have a lot more games, but it also suffers from not breaking some of the games off of the need to install yet another launcher & setting up yet another account in order to log in and be able to play the game. Personally I don't think games like that should even be sold on GOG or Steam.
When I was into gaming, I only used GOG. The client is optional (it didn't even exist for the first 6 years of GOG): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com#GOG_Galaxy

And yes, I also agree that, if games are considered IP, you should be able to buy once, run anywhere.

When I was into gaming, I only used GOG. The client is optional (it didn't even exist for the first 6 years of GOG): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com#GOG_Galaxy

And yes, I also agree that, if games are considered IP, you should be able to buy once, run anywhere.
I don't mind the client at all since it makes launching games easier without having to make shortcuts and/or cluttering up the desktop. My issue is when a game sold by Gog or Steam requires you to download additional launchers that require you to log into them in order to play it. There shouldn't even be a required internet connection to play the game after completely installing it unless its one of those mmorpg-type games where its understandably necessary.

Reactions: bug

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I don't mind the client at all since it makes launching games easier without having to make shortcuts and/or cluttering up the desktop. My issue is when a game sold by Gog or Steam requires you to download additional launchers that require you to log into them in order to play it. There shouldn't even be a required internet connection to play the game after completely installing it unless its one of those mmorpg-type games where its understandably necessary.
Couldn't agree more.
Fwiw, no game I got on GOG ever required me to install another client, this must be a newer (and unfortunate) trend.
If there was one irritating aspect about the GOG client, it was that it would seemingly need to download an update on each start. But that may be because I prefer desktop icons for games and fired it up once in a blue moon.

Couldn't agree more.
Fwiw, no game I got on GOG ever required me to install another client, this must be a newer (and unfortunate) trend.
If there was one irritating aspect about the GOG client, it was that it would seemingly need to download an update on each start. But that may be because I prefer desktop icons for games and fired it up once in a blue moon.
iirc, HoMM V, VI, and VII are like that and are only sold on Steam and ubisoft.com. I think that was one of the reasons I stayed away from them and didn't bother to install Steam. It really sucks that you can't play those games unless the ubisoft client you have to get is able to log in & stay logged in while you play the game. Its like some of these companies want you to stay jacked into the internet for every game or app that you run on your system nowadays.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
iirc, HoMM V, VI, and VII are like that and are only sold on Steam and ubisoft.com. I think that was one of the reasons I stayed away from them and didn't bother to install Steam. It really sucks that you can't play those games unless the ubisoft client you have to get is able to log in & stay logged in while you play the game. Its like some of these companies want you to stay jacked into the internet for every game or app that you run on your system nowadays.
Same here with those titles.

So I picked up KB: The LEgend for $1.44 on sale, and have been playing the shit out of it. The graphics are not bad for a top down from 2008. Settings are a bit lacking, namely mouse controls. Windowless border.:p:D Music volume doesnt seem to work, at 4% I should barely hear it, yet its loud enough to still be an annoyance.

Same here with those titles.

So I picked up KB: The LEgend for $1.44 on sale, and have been playing the shit out of it. The graphics are not bad for a top down from 2008. Settings are a bit lacking, namely mouse controls. Windowless border.:p:D Music volume doesnt seem to work, at 4% I should barely hear it, yet its loud enough to still be an annoyance.
I have all of the KB series set to play in 1440p resolution, and it looks really good. The thing that pissed me off when I got the first one was I couldn't get it to run. Soon afterward I found out that you have to go into the .ini file, iirc, and manually set the screen resolution since when you first open the file, for some strange reason it is set at 0 x 0 which makes no sense.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I have all of the KB series set to play in 1440p resolution, and it looks really good. The thing that pissed me off when I got the first one was I couldn't get it to run. Soon afterward I found out that you have to go into the .ini file, iirc, and manually set the screen resolution since when you first open the file, for some strange reason it is set at 0 x 0 which makes no sense.
I've had to edit to turn down the mouse spin speed. All i need to do now is figure out how to get the camera to follow only and to tilt down further than normal.

These are my camera settings I'm still messing with.
Code:
setf ~map_camera_sens 0.030000
setf ~map_camera_wheel_sens -1.000000
setf ~map_camera_dist_sens 16.549999 << camera height
setf ~arena_camera_sens_x 0.050000
setf ~arena_camera_sens_y 0.050000
setf ~arena_camera_wheel_sens 1.000000

I just saw this 2 seconds ago. possibly the follow delay?
Code:
setf ~autocamera 2

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
The OG Kings Bounty is rare & expensive...

Attachments

• SANY0549.JPG
    SANY0549.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
I've had to edit to turn down the mouse spin speed. All i need to do now is figure out how to get the camera to follow only and to tilt down further than normal.

These are my camera settings I'm still messing with.
Code:
setf ~map_camera_sens 0.030000
setf ~map_camera_wheel_sens -1.000000
setf ~map_camera_dist_sens 16.549999 << camera height
setf ~arena_camera_sens_x 0.050000
setf ~arena_camera_sens_y 0.050000
setf ~arena_camera_wheel_sens 1.000000

I just saw this 2 seconds ago. possibly the follow delay?
Code:
setf ~autocamera 2
I haven't felt the need to mess with the camera settings. Unless you're trying to zoom out more or kite mobs all the way across the map, I don't think there's much use for changing it since the camera view is affected by any geometry behind it and can be a problem in some areas of the game.

The OG Kings Bounty is rare & expensive...
I wouldn't want to play it on my current system anyway, as it would look like shit unless the graphics was tweaked. Heroes of the Lance is probably another rare & expensive game that you don't see being sold on GOG, Steam, or anywhere. That's one strategy game I'm surprised was never further developed. There must have been some issues with Weiss & Hickman, the authors of the Dragonlance novels.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I haven't felt the need to mess with the camera settings. Unless you're trying to zoom out more or kite mobs all the way across the map, I don't think there's much use for changing it since the camera view is affected by any geometry behind it and can be a problem in some areas of the game.

I wouldn't want to play it on my current system anyway, as it would look like shit unless the graphics was tweaked. Heroes of the Lance is probably another rare & expensive game that you don't see being sold on GOG, Steam, or anywhere. That's one strategy game I'm surprised was never further developed. There must have been some issues with Weiss & Hickman, the authors of the Dragonlance novels.
I vaguely remember reading about this, IDK coulda been gaming news post or a gaming magazine.

I can think of several series that would make for good game play althought likely a nightmare for devs, Chronicles of Amber the constantly changing scenery for one, Split Infinity is another.

BTW, setting autocamera to 1 makes you spin around, really, really fast, if you hold the mouse down, and you dont move. I got dizzy having fun with it.o_O:fear:

Last edited: