• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KRK Systems Rokit 5 Active Speakers

KRK Systems are known for their high-end studio monitors. Today we will be taking a good hard look at their entry level model dubbed Rokit 5. Instead of the usual studio use we see how usable they are as PC speakers.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Tijok

Phrasing

Thanks for posting the great review! I've really been enjoying TPU's looks at speaker systems, and would love to see more.

I just wanted to point out that stating that a set of speakers is not "girlfriend or wife friendly", because of the design, while well intentioned, is probably not the best way to phrase that sentiment, as it excludes female readers. Perhaps instead you could state that the design is bracing or jarring, and may not fit in on all desks?

I definitely appreciate your opinion on this important element of the review (design), but I think the readership and review would benefit if your language was a bit less exclusive.
Cheers!

System Name Kaos Performance "Studio V3"
Processor i7 940 & 4.20 Ghz. stays very cool.
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D Premium on water.
Cooling Swiftech GTX, 2 x Fesser rads.
Memory 12 gigs Corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA 460 Gtx on water. Only to run multi monitors and NEC lfd.
Storage 2 Intel SSD for OS and programs. 8 WD Tera drives raid 5
Display(s) 3 x 30" Dell, 1 70" NEC P701-AVT LFD.
Case Raxx's 10U rack unit X 2. One for pc and cooling, one for studio gear.
Audio Device(s) M auidio in and out, split to Tube pres, AB split, and 48 channel Mackie.
Power Supply Antec quattro 1200, Seasonic 650, Power conditioner, Generac NG back-up generator.
Software Win Xp-Win 7. Lots of DAW software & plugins.
Benchmark Scores Not a Bench machine only OC'd cuz it's in my blood. This is boarderline over-kill for my needs, but
Rockit studio monitors

Thanks for posting the great review! I've really been enjoying TPU's looks at speaker systems, and would love to see more.

I just wanted to point out that stating that a set of speakers is not "girlfriend or wife friendly", because of the design, while well intentioned, is probably not the best way to phrase that sentiment, as it excludes female readers. Perhaps instead you could state that the design is bracing or jarring, and may not fit in on all desks?

I definitely appreciate your opinion on this important element of the review (design), but I think the readership and review would benefit if your language was a bit less exclusive.
Cheers!

Tijok, either you are female or do not live with a woman. No offense intended but I'm going to guess that more than 80% of the men living w/ GF or wifey have had plenty of arguments on what is family room acceptable. Mine actually takes it as a compliment as if to say they have better taste regarding home decor.

On to the speakers; I own the 5's and 8's of these and they are imo the best speakers I have ever bought, wich is quite a few. I use them in a home recording studio and they are beautiful sounding.
Totaly flat frequency responce so you hear exactly what was or is being recorded or played back. Then I EQ in the mix down usualy. I have owned many other brands of studio monitors and for the price nothing can touch these.
The 5's are my favorite, don't know why they just sound warmer to my ears. Plus they pick up sounds off albums that I have been listening to for years that I never heard.
Just to be clear, the foam spacers are not included retail, and pretty expensive to boot. They even power down by themselves.
The only on little thing that bugs me is they get pretty hot. I know they're not cheap, but if you got some extra scratch lyin' around I highly recomend these. They have no grills ......so not very cat friendly. And the yellow is not so shocking when seen in person or not on the web with a stark white background.

Lastly AMS bundles these all the time.For example, say like a small 8 or 16 track digital home studio a couple of Sure mics, stands, xlr cables and the 5's for about a grand.
I would not know if that particular deal is still going but they always have 3 or 4 going on.

just my 2 cents, Peace.............

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Nice review. I would love to see reviews of high-end computer oriented speaker packages as well like the Logitech Z906. That one particularly obviously lacks mid-bass and the subwoofer has to overcompensate, but it would be nice to hear your opinion of them over these cheap components.

Also, unless you're going to use these with a professional sound card with RCA outputs, you're going to have to split a cable or get creative with adapters to get an RCA channel to each speaker from the same 3.5mm output...

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I'm a lady cat and I don't care what they look like... it's the sound that matters....

those speakers look like average speakers to me... what you'd expect them to look like....

The wording could be better, I will keep that in mind for the next time. I think they are harder on the eyes than for instance their AudioEngine counterparts, mostly due to the complex front plate and the yellow/black color scheme

someguyfromhell

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.5ghz 1.3 volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K Premium
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F)
Memory OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 DDR800 4-4-4-15 1GBx4 2volts
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4890 OC
Storage WD Black 640GB & Hitachi 2TB drive
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW 24" LCD
Case Compucase 69R5 EATX Case
Audio Device(s) SoundMax ADI® AD1988B
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
Software Windows 7 x64
Great review Frederik! I bought a pair of Rokit 6's myself about 3 months ago. What I like about it is audio comes out much cleaner and the bass is there, but it's not overpowering. Playing BF3 on it is quite good, however it picks up noise from my monitor (I notice it when I alt-tab or check the scoreboard). Lastly, there is a little hiss that comes from it (probably from my monitor) that can be slightly annoying when I try to sleep.

On another note, I think you overpaid for your Rokit 5s. On ebay, I found Rokit 6s for $175 a piece with free shipping from a reputable seller. I bought mine slightly used for $330 in total.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I own a pair of Rokit 5's, I love em!

My Mackies have quite a bit more punch though, the Rokits have retired to my bedroom :D
I have to admit KRK is one of my favorite monitor companies, for quality, price and support.

Also I didn't see it noted, that KRK makes a subwoofer that matches very well with those, I believe it MSRP's for around $499. ;)

Memory 12 gigs Corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA 460 Gtx on water. Only to run multi monitors and NEC lfd.
Audio Device(s) M auidio in and out, split to Tube pres, AB split, and 48 channel Mackie.
Power Supply Antec quattro 1200, Seasonic 650, Power conditioner, Generac NG back-up generator.
Benchmark Scores Not a Bench machine only OC'd cuz it's in my blood. This is boarderline over-kill for my needs, but
SOMEGUYFROMHELL

That is a great price for 6's, way to shop around !!!!!

Cheers!

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Nicely done sir :toast:

I had tested some KRK in past paired with SE200 LTD,they sound really good for music listineng.However,lacks of movie and gaming experience force me to reconsider.On the other hand,i don't like STX much,they sound too piercing for my ears unlike SE200 LTD.IMO,these speaker will unleash their true power if paired with external amplifier or DAC.

Just passing by...

Just realized you can get a pair on Amazon.com for only $299! That makes them really good value as well. Official retailers still list them as $200 a piece though.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
:O Noooo I thought the yellow kevlar speaker cones were a signature part of Bowers & Wilkins speakers :(

Turns out they aren't that exclusive anymore.

I do not think you can patent that application since it has been used for all sorts of things before. Kevlar/Aramid composites are nothing new.

From a composites engineering perspective it makes good sense since its fatigue and dampening properties are good, plus you can be quite free when it comes to the shape and stiffness across the cone.

System Name Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @4.65 GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG X570-E
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 6700XT 12 GB Dual
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG 23MP67HQ + LG 55 Inch 4K
Case Corsair 4000D
Power Supply CM V1000
Still a bit too big to be girlfriend (or wife) friendly
:D
thank for review !

Processor ryzen 7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B550 a-pro
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 240 V3 White ARGB
Memory 2x16gb 3600mhz cl 16 corsair vengeance lpx
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 WindForce OC
Storage 1x2tb KC3000 & 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, 2 x 2 tb external usb harddrives
Display(s) LG 32GP850, IIyama G2470HSU-B1
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tg
Audio Device(s) Yamaha R-N600A Dynaudio Emit m10
Power Supply Corsair RM850X White
Mouse Logitech G PRO Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion
Software Windows 11 64 bit, Free bitdefender
Those speakers are amazing, the sound good, no need to turn down the treble on the speaker and enought bass,power for anybody who is using them in a small room.

The popular Yamaha HS50 has an agressiv upper midrange, the also sound to bright and they have lack of bass, every time i listen to the krk's the upper midrange was much more plesant to listen to, not as bright as the yamaha's and i could her the bas much more clearly without it being boomy.

The krk Rookit 10" subwoofer is verry good so get i you love bass like Cerwin Vega

I own a pair of Krk Rookit Powered 5 G2

"too big to be girlfriend (or wife) friendly" is one of the MOST IMPORTANT factors in choosing good speakers.

Same as choosing a car... or a TV... or a chainsaw... or a steak... or an new GFX card... or dog... or hell just about anything.

If your wife or girlfriend thinks what you have chosen is sensible and will go well in your shared home that is a 100% guaranteed way of telling for sure that you have TOTALLY PU$$!ED OUT, and will lose 10 points off you Man Card.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
"too big to be girlfriend (or wife) friendly" is one of the MOST IMPORTANT factors in choosing good speakers.

Same as choosing a car... or a TV... or a chainsaw... or a steak... or an new GFX card... or dog... or hell just about anything.

If your wife or girlfriend thinks what you have chosen is sensible and will go well in your shared home that is a 100% guaranteed way of telling for sure that you have TOTALLY PU$$!ED OUT, and will lose 10 points off you Man Card.

You already lost your man card if you're married/dating someone that controls you that much, and you're too pussy to stand up for your self.

Last edited:
Memory 12 gigs Corsair

Funny I always thought a "MAN" respects the woman he has chosen to live with or marry.
At least enough to agree an stupid decisions as speakers.
But that may be just me.
I don't have a man card so I may have misunderstood. Does it include how many times you can beat her a week ?
Sometimes I forget how much trailer trash lives on puplic forums...............

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
a basement is worth more to me than a living room. just let her have it. designing a music room or home theater is a great project to work on and it adds appeal to your house.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Just realized you can get a pair on Amazon.com for only $299! That makes them really good value as well. Official retailers still list them as $200 a piece though.

Meh...that gonna cost 2 months my installment just for shipping :laugh:
Here,i only have a choice such Wharfedale,Tannoy or Monitor Audio_Online retailer charge a steep price for a brand like KRK :shadedshu

LOL - You have some serious issues to work out within yourself.

You DO understand that little people don't actually live in the computers don't you? We live in all sorts of places all over the world, and we CONNECT to the internet, and forums USING computers.

Silly sausage...

System Name Valhalla
Processor Intel 2600k
Motherboard Sabertooth P67 v2
Cooling triple loop water, cpu gpu's
Memory 16 GB Ripjaw X @ 1866
Video Card(s) XFX 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation x2
Storage 2x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 4x WD Black 8TB total
Display(s) 2 24" ASUS + 27" Crossover
Case Caselab M10 w/extended top
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro Halo XT
Power Supply SeaSonic Gold Series SS-1250XM
Software Windows 7x68
Funny I always thought a "MAN" respects the woman he has chosen to live with or marry.
At least enough to agree an stupid decisions as speakers.
But that may be just me.
I don't have a man card so I may have misunderstood. Does it include how many times you can beat her a week ?

It is funny you mention respect but have none yourself.

"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."
Mahatma Gandhi

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I do not think you can patent that application since it has been used for all sorts of things before. Kevlar/Aramid composites are nothing new.

From a composites engineering perspective it makes good sense since its fatigue and dampening properties are good, plus you can be quite free when it comes to the shape and stiffness across the cone.

Another part is light weight, allows the driver to respond very quickly, the two most important parts of a driver, light weight and stiff cone materials! :toast:

For lightness you would probably just go for carbon or hollow glass. I believe it is a fatigue and probably vibration control that makes manufactures opt for kevlar / aramid. Plus it is easier to handle.

But yeah you are totally right weight of the diaphragm is important, but the coil attached to it will almost always weigh several times as much as the diaphragm.