• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Kyle Bennett, owner of tech publication HardOCP that ruled the web for over two decades, has joined Intel in the position of Director of Enthusiast Engagement. Following his departure, HardOCP will "mothballed," in that it will not generate new content, its IP and existing content will be owned by Bennett. HardForum.com, on the other hand, will be sold to a company Bennett is familiar with, demonetized, and run by volunteers and funded by Patreons. At Intel, Bennett will work under Technology Leadership Marketing, and will lead the company's efforts to "reconnect with the top of the high-performance consumer pyramid which contains hardware enthusiasts, overclockers, gamers, and content creators."

Kyle Benett is among a handful superstar tech journalists Intel soaked up in recent times as Raja Koduri and Chris Hook build Intel's Infinity Gauntlet with them. These include Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective, and Damien Triolet from Hardware.fr (albeit via AMD). Anand Lal Shimpi probably was one of the first and most prominent tech press leaders who left his publication for the industry. AMD's arsenal includes Scott Wasson from The TechReport and the famous overclocker Sammi Maekinen. Lars Weinand from RivaStation works for NVIDIA (also via AMD). Kyle Bennett is famous for a mountain of work in the DIY PC sphere, but in recent times is most recently credited for exposing and leading an awareness campaign against NVIDIA's poorly conceived GeForce Partner Program (GPP). We wish Kyle Bennett all the very best in his new endeavor and pray that he doesn't allow DIY PC and overclocking to become as expensive a hobby as fast cars (which unfortunately is the direction in which it's headed).

Personal note from W1zzard: In some ways you have to thank Kyle for TechPowerUp, too. Shortly after getting my feet wet with enthusiast tech, developing a shader unlock on Radeon 9500 non-Pro (around 2002), I became moderator of the HardOCP graphics card subforum. This made me embrace hardware even more, and I found two other enthusiasts who I teamed up with to start "OCFaq", a "Tech Questions and Answers" kind of project, which quickly turned into a more complex site. The other two guys lost interest at some point, so it was just me pushing out content, while all the decisions still had to be made by our trio, which slowed down things a lot. In the end I decided to roll my own and founded TechPowerUp - the very site you are browsing now.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Its a very good thing that after some incidents Intel actually recruits the best of the best to make sure performance figures are legitimate.
That is if Intel intends to actually do that.
I doubt Intel was really that ignorant of what was going on with their earlier performance figures.

Processor Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard Asus x370 Prime-Pro
Cooling MSI Frozr L (Push-Pull)
Memory 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Gigabyte OC
Storage 15TB of Mixed Storage
Display(s) 3440x1440
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply 750W
That is if Intel intends to actually do that.
I doubt Intel was really that ignorant of what was going on with their earlier performance figures.
These guys aren't called the "best tech journalists" for no reason. The main reason for anyone to become famous in the tech journalism, is great work ethic.

If they retain their ethics standards from when they were tech journalists, then Intel will go in good direction.

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Its a very good thing that after some incidents Intel actually recruits the best of the best to make sure performance figures are legitimate.
Given Intel's track record of "legitimate" competition? Yeah...

This news upsets me. Now we see another unbias voice on PC hardware become immediately bias. As many here on TPU will already know; I really do not like Intel, and it's not because I'm an AMD fanboy, either. It's because I know what Intel is like, and I know how much monopoly hurts the industry that i am so passionate about. But I won't derail the thread with that, as it is somewhat off topic.

Given Intel's track record of "legitimate" competition? Yeah...

This news upsets me. Now we see another unbias voice on PC hardware become immediately bias. As many here on TPU will already know; I really do not like Intel, and it's not because I'm an AMD fanboy, either. It's because I know what Intel is like, and I know how much monopoly hurts the industry that i am so passionate about. But I won't derail the thread with that, as it is somewhat off topic.

Company has bad rep with performance numbers, hires the best workforce and makes a super-team of grounded enthusiasts to make sure it doesn't happen, and people get mad.
What else could they do? This is a right move. is this the right move? only the future will tell. Not liking Corp A over Corp B has nothing to do with it. The hardwre industry is not an anime. There are no heroes here, just people who get up to work so they could make money.

These guys aren't called the "best tech journalists" for no reason. The main reason for anyone to become famous in the tech journalism, is great work ethic.

If they retain their ethics standards from when they were tech journalists, then Intel will go in good direction.
Intel is already in good direction and has been. What's up with intel hatred?! Is it normal to hate Intel, Nvidia, Windows 10 in TechPowerUp forums?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Intel is already in good direction and has been. What's up with intel hatred?! Is it normal to hate Intel, Nvidia, Windows 10 in TechPowerUp forums?

Don't you see the TPU logo is red? :slap:

But jokes aside... if you poke deeper, we have fanboys of every camp. Except for Microsoft, everyone like to hate M$.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Intel didn't hire these guys and get them under contract for no reason.

One possible reason would be to polish their image and use these guys to do it with their previous resume preceding them.

Another possible reason to hire and get these guys under contract is to stop them from slamming Intel if and when they do screwup. If the one(s) you're wanting to critizise has you by the proverbial nads via contract, they have you nailed down and silenced at their discresion.
I can promise you there is no time clock getting punched by any of these guys - It was all business with contracts and clauses.

Intel probrably will benefit from them being under their wing and they too will prosper, just don't expect things from them to be the same anymore from this point foward.

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Company has bad rep with performance numbers, hires the best workforce and makes a super-team of grounded enthusiasts to make sure it doesn't happen, and people get mad.
What else could they do? This is a right move. is this the right move? only the future will tell. Not liking Corp A over Corp B has nothing to do with it. The hardwre industry is not an anime. There are no heroes here, just people who get up to work so they could make money.
consumer mainstream CPUs between 2010 and 2017 , what was the main thing that happened during this period of absolutely zero innovation? AMD Bulldozer.

Then Ryzen appears and you get the hexa 8700K which cost the almost same as the 7700K before it, but with 50% more cores. Do you see where I'm going with this? Ryzen is a hero, because Ryzen put in the hands of the every day man and woman, more processing power than ever before, at a price that almost anyone can afford. Where does one draw the line between simply only caring about profit, than actually caring about driving forward innovation and making good products? Because I'm telling you right now the 9900K is absolutely not worth $500. And then there's the "F" CPU's.... (F stands for "FU" to the consumer ;) Btw i could not have achieved a place in Top 10 of TPU WCG team in credit/day without Ryzen. Now that's a good cause:toast:

Maybe I overlooked the direction they are going in. Maybe I am too harsh on Intel. I am a very emotional person, and sometimes my own issues clouds my vision. :twitch:I like tech so I guess i have to focus on one thing to hate so i don't just implode into a husk filled with hatred and resentment ._. Okay I make you a deal, okay? I will drop my hatred of intel from now. I will make them a clean slate, forgetting all current prices of Intel CPUs and, let's say, next year I will consider them again. But only if they are priced at what i think it is worth. Because atm there is not a single intel CPU i feel is worth what i am paying for it. Oh, and only if they move off 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ :laugh:

TPU is actually more pro-Intel/Nvidia than AMD i think... I don't mind NVIDIA that much, at least they still push the performance when AMD is not competing lol. Windows 10 is great, what do you mean ? ;D

Kyle Benett is among a handful superstar tech journalists Intel soaked up in recent times as Raja Koduri and Chris Hook build Intel's Infinity Gauntlet with them. These include Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective, and Damien Triolet from Hardware.fr (albeit via AMD). Anand Lal Shimpi probably was one of the first and most prominent tech press leaders who left his publication for the industry. AMD's arsenal includes Scott Wasson from The TechReport and the famous overclocker Sammi Maekinen. Lars Weinand from RivaStation works for NVIDIA (also via AMD).

Let's not forget the Beyond3D crew that pre-dated all these. Original founder: ImgTec & Intel (IIRC), Arun/Uttar (Can't remember his real name "the nvidia supporter"): ImgTec/ARM?, Dave Baumann: AMD, Ryszard Sommefeldt: ImgTec/AMD, + others I may have forgotten.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
So biggest HJW sold out?

Low quality post by AmioriK
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Okay I make you a deal, okay? I will drop my hatred of intel from now.
I just decided that I cannot do this. I am too angry/resentful/filled with hate:ohwell:

Better Red, than in the Shed, cuz i spent all my rent money on an intel CPU

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Lets hope Kyle does some good and pushes them to be more honest and offer better value.

As some have suggested, I hope they aren't just going to give him a desk and lounger on the roof (see Silicon Valley TV show) to keep him quiet.

If that's the plan Charlie at Semi-A will be getting a cheque with lots of zeros on it for a job there soon too. ;)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I see no one bothered to mention there will be no more HardOCP after this move. Only HardForum will go on.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I see no one bothered to mention there will be no more HardOCP after this move. Only HardForum will go on.
Pretty sure it said “mothballed” in the second line? As In shut down.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
Long time [H] reader here - very happy for Kyle, but mourning the loss of the tech news and review side of their website. I think I have found my new home for updates and reviews at TPU though.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Pretty sure it said “mothballed” in the second line? As In shut down.
Yeah, some interesting wording there.
Either way, they haven't published anything interesting since the GPP debacle. I used to enjoy their "highest playable settings" reviews, but they dropped those a while ago. I'm still hoping someone else will pick up that format, it was super-interesting to see whether the extra 5-10fps other reviews showed oy could actually enable you to up some setting.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Yeah, some interesting wording there.
Either way, they haven't published anything interesting since the GPP debacle. I used to enjoy their "highest playable settings" reviews, but they dropped those a while ago. I'm still hoping someone else will pick up that format, it was super-interesting to see whether the extra 5-10fps other reviews showed oy could actually enable you to up some setting.
Yeah I’ll admit it’s been a long time since I’ve been there, maybe reading reviews on my last PSU.

Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Well 1st thing that matters in this world is $/hour so i wish him alot of it.

Low quality post by AmioriK
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
@W1zzard don't leave TPU and join Intel i think i would kms if you did

and people thinking i'm joking lol........... (ಥ ͜ʖಥ)

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
People have to earn money to make a living.
Kyle said this isn't about money, but rather about the need to do something new after two decades.