• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LaCie Packs An Elephant’s Memory into a MosKeyto

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
hm .gif me thinks it would be a good place to hide pron, not that i've got any blush.gifwhistles .gif

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I had a 4GB microSD USB reader that was a bit bigger than this. It was really handy but a little slow. Then I lost it :(

I had and have those card readers

they are very handy, small and very much portable, nearly as small as Logitech mini reciever too ( less than 1mm smaller, I'll make some measurement when return home with my caliber along with some pics too.. )...

the problem with these is the less physical support for the reader, this it make it unpractical for real usage as a microSD card reader ( lots of inserts )... + if you think if putting the microSD card forever will prevent the reader from damaging then you may consider not to use those very hard and tough USB port that wich does have some difficulties inserting any USB plug on them coz they may put physical stress on the reader + the card...

I had two before, one was completly fault as I used it as usb flash + microSD card reader... the other I just lost some where !!

now I had another two... one with 8GB class 6 in my car's Sony stereo ( with front USB port ) it's small enough so I'm not worried about accidental damage like in any regular size USB drive wich it already had several hits and already had a twisted USB plug for these...

the other is my main file move USB flash ( I have another regular flash for portable apps ). I have it with brand new Class 10 8GB microSD and I'm telling you it's fast... faster than any USB flash I had before, reaching up to 15 - 18MB/s writing and 19.5 - 20.4MB/s reading...

all of these comes with a cover to cover the USB plug.. but the cover is completly seperated from the reader.. so yes it is easy to lose.. and trust me with this !!

I bought all these from Amazon.com they are branded as Elago from elagodesign.com.. the problem is cost... amazon have two buying options.. one from JowJow wich is cheap.. about 3.99... but they have expensive shipping as they request 4.49 per item... so practically these things will cost you 3.99 + 4.49 = 8.48 each, and yes they will charge you 4.49 shipping charge for each one you buy !!
the other option is amazon them self... but they already cost you a little more at 9.xx thingies range for each I don't remember... you can have shipping free if your total order is quilified for free shipping ( total order from amazon is over $25 )...

the first two I had was cheap as amazon was selling them for 4.49 each without shipping cost if it quilified for free shipping... but now they are just expensive !!

these prices does not include the actual microSD card, you have to buy them seperately...

I tried some other brands from dealextreme.com.. cheaper and faster to fail too.. not to mention they were not compatible with some USB devices I have ( like the Sony stereo, the stereo didn't recoginze it at all )

so from my experience with Elago ones and those china made dealextreme.com ones ( even thought those Elago are already china made too )... these LaCie might be better choice.. cheaper and the cover is attached to the reader... but I have two concerns

1- Which class the microSD card is ? I mean if it was class 2 then it doesn't worth it... class 6 maybe but hard with this price.. and class 10 perfect but I know they will not be at this price... so are they class 2 or even 4 ? they don't tell the actual speed... but they tell the fastest USB 2.0 can have.. which is not fair here !!
2- Will they be compatible with major CE's that have USB ports ?? as from my experience with some other non-Elago china made ones...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
thanks Xajel, good points about the tight ports putting stress directly on the microSD card itself.